Whats rustling your jimmies?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
We had a storm last night and a couple minutes of weird power surges. Now the HDMI ports on my TV are all broke. TV wasn't powered up, but it's still probably related. Now I need to find a repairman and see if it's worth it to try to fix it.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We had a storm last night and a couple minutes of weird power surges. Now the HDMI ports on my TV are all broke. TV wasn't powered up, but it's still probably related. Now I need to find a repairman and see if it's worth it to try to fix it.
TV repairmen are still a thing? Seriously, I thought with the price of flatscreens now it was just cheaper to replace.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
TV repairmen are still a thing? Seriously, I thought with the price of flatscreens now it was just cheaper to replace.
Dunno I will find out today hopefully. I'd rather keep my old TV that doesn't have a fucking camera and microphone as long as I can.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

Wellp, They don't make the part for my old plasma TV anymore. I fucking hate buying new electronics. My autism kicks and I have to buy the perfect fucking device. See you bros when I dig myself out of this hole in week or so. Unless my wife saves me.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wellp, They don't make the part for my old plasma TV anymore. I fucking hate buying new electronics. My autism kicks and I have to buy the perfect fucking device. See you bros when I dig myself out of this hole in week or so. Unless my wife saves me.
Roll into BJs and grab the 85" and call it a day.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>

This video should both help you and make you feel better.

• 1Like

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
When you got to caste you should have spent the next word trying out possible letters for that first spot. For instance, thaws would have eliminated the h and w and told you there was a T in the first spot.
Unless you're playing in hard mode where any revealed letters must be used in subsequent guesses and green letters must stay in place.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

This video should both help you and make you feel better.

The strobing he was talking about at the 11 min mark, I wonder if it's because of the refresh rate. All of the TVs I've looked at so far have either had 60 or 120 Hz refresh. The specs on that one say 144Hz. He said it was because of how fast the pixels were reacting, so maybe a lower refresh would fix that. My plasma has a 600 Hz refresh, but that's a different technology so I doubt it's directly comparable. Even if the refresh rate doesn't matter, I wonder if it can be fixed by turning down the brightness. I wish he'd explored that because if shit starts strobing at me on a regular basis that's going to be a problem.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The only reason to buy a plasma is if you want a 2in1 TV/space heater

• 1Salty

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The only reason to buy a plasma is if you want a 2in1 TV/space heater

What about if you get one just like the one you had except that it works and is bigger, for $250? I'd say that's a good reason too.

That's delivered with a 30 day warranty including hauling away the old one. PLUS, it's probably not stolen since it comes from a legitimate repair shop.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Was it surge-protected? That's nuts. I've got a $3000 LG OLED (well, two years later it's probably worth like $1800, but still) and I'd flip my lid if it got completely borked on a power surge. One of the worst things to have break, because repair costs tend to be high and replacement tends to be higher unless it's old.

Also GL finding one without a microphone in it. They putting cameras in them now too?

We're gonna be going Full Winston soon.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I took my mom to the ER on Monday so she could give samples for lab work she had to get done and her primary is temporarily closed or something. I don't know. I'm sure there was a better option than an ER but when something comes up I don't ask questions, I just go get her and drive.

Rustled because while we were there, they had her basically sit there for 3 hours holding a sample of urine and whatnot, waiting for them to come back and just...take the samples and let her leave. Was like 2 hours before they saw her at all, then she draws blood and produces the sample, then she sits there for 3 more hours holding the goddamn urine sample.

I caught up on some reading and finished my latest book, then asked the woman who was dealing with her if my mom could just give them the sample so she could go, since she was sitting there for so long and really didn't need to be there anymore. The woman kinda flips out and loudly (so the whole waiting room can hear) tells me I can't just cut in line and my mom can't just drop things off, and I was like "yeah I'm not asking to cut anything, this just seems unnecessary" then she walks off while going "THIS ISN'T A MCDONALDS, SIR, YOU HAVE TO WAIT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SIR."

Like, waiting is fine (within reason), there just wasn't a point to it which is why I brought it up. I wasn't being confrontational or anything, and this woman just seized on it as an opportunity to put me in my place.

Not mad at her specifically, cause I know how hard it is to work in a hospital, and the ER specifically is like the ninth circle. I'd probably be losing it too.

Mildly rustled at the whole thing though, and the fact that it took 5 hours overall, and the "I'm gonna put this guy in his place" condescending teacher 'tude.

Oh yeah, and when she came back out a while later she loudly bellowed forth to my mom "HAVE YOU GOT THAT URINE SAMPLE FOR US MA'AM" in the middle of the busy waiting room.

Also there was an older black dude flipping out at the (black) supervisor because a black woman had been there earlier and left because she'd been waiting for hours. The older dude was saying "She was black! She was black and you didn't help her!" to the supervisor like the guy was contractually obligated to put the woman in front of other patients because he's a fellow black. The supervisor was very patient and responded to all of the "but she was black!" with "that doesn't matter, we have to treat people in a certain order based on the severity of their problem, I'm sorry that she left but there's not a lot I can do". Older dude kept flipping out and talking to himself for a while, then eventually mellowed out and became a super nice guy out of nowhere. That was weird.

TLDR: I'm not actually angry cause I respect hospital staff, just a little rustled at the whole setup, and really don't want to have to go to an ER for a "routine" thing ever again, and not sure why we were even there, and not sure why my mom had to wait 3 hours to hand them a sample and have them go "okay you're free to go"

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I took my mom to the ER on Monday so she could give samples for lab work she had to get done and her primary is temporarily closed or something. I don't know. I'm sure there was a better option than an ER but when something comes up I don't ask questions, I just go get her and drive.

Rustled because while we were there, they had her basically sit there for 3 hours holding a sample of urine and whatnot, waiting for them to come back and just...take the samples and let her leave. Was like 2 hours before they saw her at all, then she draws blood and produces the sample, then she sits there for 3 more hours holding the goddamn urine sample.

I caught up on some reading and finished my latest book, then asked the woman who was dealing with her if my mom could just give them the sample so she could go, since she was sitting there for so long and really didn't need to be there anymore. The woman kinda flips out and loudly (so the whole waiting room can hear) tells me I can't just cut in line and my mom can't just drop things off, and I was like "yeah I'm not asking to cut anything, this just seems unnecessary" then she walks off while going "THIS ISN'T A MCDONALDS, SIR, YOU HAVE TO WAIT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE SIR."

Like, waiting is fine (within reason), there just wasn't a point to it which is why I brought it up. I wasn't being confrontational or anything, and this woman just seized on it as an opportunity to put me in my place.

Not mad at her specifically, cause I know how hard it is to work in a hospital, and the ER specifically is like the ninth circle. I'd probably be losing it too.

Mildly rustled at the whole thing though, and the fact that it took 5 hours overall, and the "I'm gonna put this guy in his place" condescending teacher 'tude.

Oh yeah, and when she came back out a while later she loudly bellowed forth to my mom "HAVE YOU GOT THAT URINE SAMPLE FOR US MA'AM" in the middle of the busy waiting room.

Also there was an older black dude flipping out at the (black) supervisor because a black woman had been there earlier and left because she'd been waiting for hours. The older dude was saying "She was black! She was black and you didn't help her!" to the supervisor like the guy was contractually obligated to put the woman in front of other patients because he's a fellow black. The supervisor was very patient and responded to all of the "but she was black!" with "that doesn't matter, we have to treat people in a certain order based on the severity of their problem, I'm sorry that she left but there's not a lot I can do". Older dude kept flipping out and talking to himself for a while, then eventually mellowed out and became a super nice guy out of nowhere. That was weird.

TLDR: I'm not actually angry cause I respect hospital staff, just a little rustled at the whole setup, and really don't want to have to go to an ER for a "routine" thing ever again, and not sure why we were even there, and not sure why my mom had to wait 3 hours to hand them a sample and have them go "okay you're free to go"
Lmao why do you respect hospital staff after witnessing pure dysfunction?

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Da fuq? You go to the ER to give blood and urine samples? That's a paddling over here. GP or ambulatory at the most if your'e not getting admitted or checked.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Da fuq? You go to the ER to give blood and urine samples? That's a paddling over here. GP or ambulatory at the most if your'e not getting admitted or checked.

Like I said, I don't know why. My mom needed me to bring her over there so I did. Something about her primary being too far away and not able to see her for several days anyway, but she needed lab work done. I'm pretty sure we could have gone to some other lab but IDK.

Lmao why do you respect hospital staff after witnessing pure dysfunction?

Good question. Most of my cousins are nurses and they work super hard under bad circumstances, so I have a respect for hospital staff and their thankless jobs.

This place was run like an absolute shitshow though, like a third-world trauma ward. There were all these people in beds and all these hospital staff congregated in the center area doing who knows what. Some woman was wailing for assistance and nobody was doing anything, too busy all congregated in the middle around different computers. I bet half the people working there could be let go and it would have made zero difference to their efficiency on this particular day.

Total goddamn shitshow. I don't know what the fuck was going on over there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Was it surge-protected? That's nuts. I've got a $3000 LG OLED (well, two years later it's probably worth like $1800, but still) and I'd flip my lid if it got completely borked on a power surge. One of the worst things to have break, because repair costs tend to be high and replacement tends to be higher unless it's old.

Also GL finding one without a microphone in it. They putting cameras in them now too?

We're gonna be going Full Winston soon.

the TV was surge protected but the cable box and play station were not. Both still work fine, but my guess is that some stray voltages got sent down the HDMI cable from one of those. The TV was the weakest link.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
the TV was surge protected but the cable box and play station were not. Both still work fine, but my guess is that some stray voltages got sent down the HDMI cable from one of those. The TV was the weakest link.
If only you had cut the cord your TV might still be with you today

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Like I said, I don't know why. My mom needed me to bring her over there so I did. Something about her primary being too far away and not able to see her for several days anyway, but she needed lab work done. I'm pretty sure we could have gone to some other lab but IDK.

Good question. Most of my cousins are nurses and they work super hard under bad circumstances, so I have a respect for hospital staff and their thankless jobs.

This place was run like an absolute shitshow though, like a third-world trauma ward. There were all these people in beds and all these hospital staff congregated in the center area doing who knows what. Some woman was wailing for assistance and nobody was doing anything, too busy all congregated in the middle around different computers. I bet half the people working there could be let go and it would have made zero difference to their efficiency on this particular day.

Total goddamn shitshow. I don't know what the fuck was going on over there.
I'm in healthcare and you could not pay me to go to the ER to drop off blood samples. That sounds super dumb but it also sounds like you had other options but your mom didn't want to do those, next time I would just tell my mom we're driving to your PCP's office or Labcorp. The hospital should have had an outpatient lab you could have gone to at least I would think but I always work in a place where we have our own phlebotomy team so I don't really know.

ERs are super weird because a small percentage of people (I would wager about 1/3 if I had to put money on it) actually need to be there medically and the rest just use the ER as a primary care office that is open 24/7 and can't force you to pay a copay upfront... which leads to long waits and some of those people just deciding to dip out as you saw.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users