Whats rustling your jimmies?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Took my car to the dealership because I can't figure out what's causing a whirring I have heard whenever I accelerate since I took a shredded 18 wheeler blowout across the front of my car. (only happens when in gear, but somehow the whirrr varies it's pitch to my RPM, not my wheel speed)

It's been in the shop a week and they text me this afternoon, after they're working hours, to let me know they still can't figure out what is causing the sound, but oh they found around $3,000 in general maintenance it could use if I want to get that done while it's in. This is after years of them being a fantastic dealership to deal with.
Watch this

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Watch this

Yeah, my current suspicions are either the transmission, or one of the two turbos (which operate off RPM obviously, but only kick in when in gear and needed... Which is exactly when and how I hear this sound)

Sounds like that gadget from Amazon might be worth it if I have to solve this mystery myself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, my current suspicions are either the transmission, or one of the two turbos (which operate off RPM obviously, but only kick in when in gear and needed... Which is exactly when and how I hear this sound)

Sounds like that gadget from Amazon might be worth it if I have to solve this mystery myself.
Turbos sound wouldn't vary with rpm it would vary with throttle position/boost level. If it varies with rpm it's something actually in the engine (unlikely if it is after a strike) or connected to an accessory belt. A/c, water pump, alternator, etc..

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Turbos sound wouldn't vary with rpm it would vary with throttle position/boost level. If it varies with rpm it's something actually in the engine (unlikely if it is after a strike) or connected to an accessory belt. A/c, water pump, alternator, etc..
The other oddity is that it starts once I get past 20mph. And there's a faint audible click when it starts. Then if I go under 18-20mph there will be another faint click and it will stop. So it's something that's engaged/disengaged. Seriously thinking about one of those noise trackers and just start clipping mics to things until I identify if it they haven't figured it out by end of today. It's one of those "I can do this, but I'd much rather pay someone else to" things, but might lead into repair work I wouldn't be able to do without a much better equipped garage.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The other oddity is that it starts once I get past 20mph. And there's a faint audible click when it starts. Then if I go under 18-20mph there will be another faint click and it will stop. So it's something that's engaged/disengaged. Seriously thinking about one of those noise trackers and just start clipping mics to things until I identify if it they haven't figured it out by end of today. It's one of those "I can do this, but I'd much rather pay someone else to" things, but might lead into repair work I wouldn't be able to do without a much better equipped garage.
That is a weird one. Nothing really jumps to mind.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Well you can add wheel bearing and brakes to the list of things to check, but I would have hoped the dealership would have already checked those and things like the serpentine belt, etc.

Did you run over the tire or did it bounce off the front of the car?

Watch this:

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Here's a test I would do to see if it is something drivetrain related or something connected to the engine.

Go 30mph or whatever speed gets it to do the noise. Stay the same speed. Downshift so rpm's spike up. Does the noise change or stay the same? Did it go up with RPM's or did it stay constant because the transmission/diffs/shafts/bearings are all going the same speed still?

After that I'd start turning accessories off or taking the belts off things and seeing what makes the noise go away if anything so you can start eliminating things.

• 2Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 498387
Yeah they got the gun completely wrong. And I don't even know WTF that's supposed to be.

That said, I'd be shocked to see Disney make something like this. Mainly because I'd be shocked to see them make something that'll actually make money.

Obvioulsy not very accurate, but it looks most like a benelli M4 to me.

images

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Wrong. Everyone who agrees with this is fat. Being long legged doesn't prevent you from using your tray table. You don't sit with your goddamn knees in your chest expecting to use the tray table. A big fat gut is the only thing that does. Source, I'm fat and can't use mine. But I also buy 2 tickets when I fly so I just use the other tray.

Well, OK ginmormous titties might also cause problems.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Here's a test I would do to see if it is something drivetrain related or something connected to the engine.

Go 30mph or whatever speed gets it to do the noise. Stay the same speed. Downshift so rpm's spike up. Does the noise change or stay the same? Did it go up with RPM's or did it stay constant because the transmission/diffs/shafts/bearings are all going the same speed still?

After that I'd start turning accessories off or taking the belts off things and seeing what makes the noise go away if anything so you can start eliminating things.
Did the RPM check. Got to 40, put it in neutral, revved engine. Whirring sound goes up in pitch directly correlated to RPM, and down when RPM subsides, regardless of moving speed.

Yeah, this afternoon is going to be a call with the shop as to what they have determined, and seriously thinking of taking it elsewhere, or handling this as much as I can myself. Severe rustling that the supposed alpha tier knowledge source (the manufacturer, via the dealer) can't figure this out.

• 2Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Old lady's dad died this morning.

82, lung cancer.

He was a bit of a bastard but a decent man. She lost her mother during covid.
20231103_135732.jpg

CW3 Army

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 5Solidarity
  • 3Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 13 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Did the RPM check. Got to 40, put it in neutral, revved engine. Whirring sound goes up in pitch directly correlated to RPM, and down when RPM subsides, regardless of moving speed.

Yeah, this afternoon is going to be a call with the shop as to what they have determined, and seriously thinking of taking it elsewhere, or handling this as much as I can myself. Severe rustling that the supposed alpha tier knowledge source (the manufacturer, via the dealer) can't figure this out.
Okay here's another idea.

Are you hearing this whirring through the stereo system? Put your ear up to one of the speakers and see if it is emanating from the speakers. If so, congrats, your source cables are picking up inductive noise from the alternator.

If you feel comfortable doing it, I'd take the belt off the alternator and go for a drive (not long, battery won't last) and see if it goes away.

Also turn the A/c off and see if it goes away. Like off off, compressor off fans off.

Is your water pump electrically driven or on a belt? Oil pump?

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Okay here's another idea.

Are you hearing this whirring through the stereo system? Put your ear up to one of the speakers and see if it is emanating from the speakers. If so, congrats, your source cables are picking up inductive noise from the alternator.

If you feel comfortable doing it, I'd take the belt off the alternator and go for a drive (not long, battery won't last) and see if it goes away.

Also turn the A/c off and see if it goes away. Like off off, compressor off fans off.

Is your water pump electrically driven or on a belt? Oil pump?
Turning off entertainment center : Tested that last week. No difference.
Turning climate control completely off : Same : no Difference.

I figured I'd give the dealer a shot before I go to the point of testing/disabling things under the hood, which is where I'm at now.

And worst part (which is now rustling me more), is that I got so buried on work today unexpectedly that I didn't get unburied until after they were closed. So it will be Monday when I call, but calling first thing.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Old lady's dad died this morning.

82, lung cancer.

He was a bit of a bastard but a decent man. She lost her mother during covid.
View attachment 498711
CW3 Army
My sympathies.
I tell these folks terrible dad jokes every day. Few better things making the seriously ill folks laugh in my experience.
Again, my sympathy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Go to Lowe's

No more cash registers, only self check. WTF is this dystopia.

Go to commercial exit and guy is there. Says "your starting total is $28.96". I'm like wait, did you just say starting total? What does that mean?

He explains that he's been trained to say this because soon basically all transactions will have optional donations or additional purchases you can make on the payment pad.

What the fuck even the hardware store has forced microtransactions now.

• 3WTF
Reactions: 2 users

astgte

Trakanon Raider
Theres a movement now locally to return to cash, especially small stores, theyre refusing cards. Their charges for taking debit and credit cards with exchange rates being a touristy place are hammering these small businesses. Anyway, ive no problem with that, actually using cash suddenly makes money feel real and ive curbed my silly spending on impulse things a lot. But my gripe is I have to now remember to carry cash, or my card to go to an ATM. Why cant ATM's not allow you to tap on a contactless area, then face id or fingerprint your phone to get cash out?

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Turning off entertainment center : Tested that last week. No difference.
Turning climate control completely off : Same : no Difference.

I figured I'd give the dealer a shot before I go to the point of testing/disabling things under the hood, which is where I'm at now.

And worst part (which is now rustling me more), is that I got so buried on work today unexpectedly that I didn't get unburied until after they were closed. So it will be Monday when I call, but calling first thing.
Turning off the stereo doesn't make any difference because whats happening is you're getting inductive current in the speaker wires due to some other source of alternating current. *if* thats what you're hearing. It would also do this at 0mph whenever you revved it though if thats what it was, so you wouldn't need to be at any speed.