Whats rustling your jimmies?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
This is the society you get when you mix social media's brain destroying endless quest for attention with trying to make everyone special when they arent a normal functioning white person.

The autistic thing is no joke though. Its sky rocketing rate since the 90s is 100% due to more and more humans utterly failing learning how to socialize as children thanks to computers/internet. Social media has only dumped gasoline on the fire.

bruh that guy already talks at 2x speed.

It's probably far worse than even we can imagine at this point.

Just before smartphones took up 100% of kids attention (and the social media Disability Spiral For Attention that came with it), kids were not allowed to free roam and experience life and associated pains away from their parents. I remember taking the old BMX bike out from sunrise to sunset, just had to 'be home for dinner'. Throw 100% uptime for social media, and it's going to get much much worse. As a parent all you can do is say no to phones until X age, and then turn off their internets at night :p

MSN article about it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
i normally listen to them at 1.75 to 2.0 , maybe a tad faster if they are slow talkers. the only issue, it take me a few seconds to adjust, so stop/starting is a pain as have to back up about 15 seconds each time. it is also very dependent on the genres fantasy or scifi fantasy speed is ok, hard scifi might not make it to 1.5, something i am trying to learn, 1.
iirc, audio books target about 150 wpm and most people read between 250 and 400 wpm.

Damn. 1.1x is the fastest I can go on a podcast. What I find more useful is trim silence. Castbox is the only player I've found with that option but it's invaluable for people who always talk like they're shatner delivering the big monologue.

I remember taking the old BMX bike out from sunrise to sunset, just had to 'be home for dinner'.
It was "Dark - 30" for me. Which meant when the street lights came on, get home, because we lived in the suburbs. I still think I'm probably a little autistic. The difference is, instead of spending money to get a meaningless diagnosis, I monetized it by becoming a programmer.

• 2Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eggs these days. All have super thin shells but super thick inner membranes. They suck to crack open and shards of pathetic shell get everywhere. All the yokes are pale as hell too.

Fucking bullshit mass-consumerism garbage.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Eggs these days. All have super thin shells but super thick inner membranes. They suck to crack open and shards of pathetic shell get everywhere. All the yokes are pale as hell too.

If I dont feed extra calcium heavily, my heavy layers tend to get pretty thin shells, but no thick membrane at least. I feed on 20% protein layer feed w/ the same calcium % as the cheap 15% shit, and I bet the mass producers use even worse feed than that.

Does kinda suck over the winter I've noticed on even decent pure feed, eggs closer to store bought though then when I can free range them heavily.

/tangent Does bring up that in shit hits the fan, I'm not sure how great chickens are as a resource given the I think dependance on feed for meat birds or any decent amount of birds. Would take carful management I think to run like 2 roosters (backup) and 4-5 hens and hatching a few out here and there. But they don't just eat hay or anything very well so I'd need to figure out how to collect and store any kind of grain in decent volume for the winter.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I dont feed extra calcium heavily, my heavy layers tend to get pretty thin shells, but no thick membrane at least. I feed on 20% protein layer feed w/ the same calcium % as the cheap 15% shit, and I bet the mass producers use even worse feed than that.

Does kinda suck over the winter I've noticed on even decent pure feed, eggs closer to store bought though then when I can free range them heavily.

/tangent Does bring up that in shit hits the fan, I'm not sure how great chickens are as a resource given the I think dependance on feed for meat birds or any decent amount of birds. Would take carful management I think to run like 2 roosters (backup) and 4-5 hens and hatching a few out here and there. But they don't just eat hay or anything very well so I'd need to figure out how to collect and store any kind of grain in decent volume for the winter.
Is it a net gain, net loss, or break even when you weigh the eggs/meat versus the cost of the feed?

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Yep. They're getting really terrible lately. I can't even crack store eggs one handed any more because they fracture everywhere.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Is it a net gain, net loss, or break even when you weigh the eggs/meat versus the cost of the feed?
Loss. I got them when I bought my farm to just get practice. I don't even keep meat birds, though in the homesteading thread I covered having to butcher a egg bird that killed itself recently.

When eggs were high I made profit, right now it's pretty close to break even until you consider time as well as the expense/effort dealing with any diseases/mites/major coop cleanout and bedding change etc. It's just very hard to compete with $2-3 a dozen. (And I dont have the time or patience to be trying to pimp them as fancy free range farm eggs for 4-5/doz out here because everyones and their cousin has chickens already)

But kinda like ammo reloading, folks say it's more about the quality than the quantity. My interest wasn't to go full off grid self sufficient or anything, but idea was to hopefully have enough things from my hobby farm to certainly really help extend out how long I can do with disruptions to supply etc.

Meat birds might be kinda cost effective except for the pain of processing them, they eat a ton, but grow up to eating size in the span of just a few months, but that means you are needing a stream of chicks, whether that's hatching a batch monthly, or buying chicks from mass breeders, I don't know how well trying to get your own meat chickens to lay well goes, they usually get so big they stop moving much and get filthy and often die by a year old, but at least they are chunky for food.

Some love quail but I think same issue, and i hate the idea of having to kill and butcher myself so many critters just for a couple meals, I've started to consider rabbits that I might be able to feed a fair amount of my field grass but it'd still need I think richer alfalfa in the mix. Can't let them just free roam, meat rabbits are dumb and die or just dig and run off.

As much as I hate them, the goats arn't the worst from being easy breeders, eat mostly whatever, though theyll leave a ton of grass as they significantly prefer weeds/shrubs/tree's. I'd maybe try mutton but sheep can't get any supplemental feed or minerals goats get because copper is toxic to them.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
we just feed our shells to the chickens along with table scraps, it seems to keep the shells strong enough without needing extra calcium beyond whats in feed already

• 2Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain

Goatface

we have a "waste and recycling center" which 1 bin for carboard and 1 of metal. 5 dumpsters for "household waste" and an area on the ground for construction waste, appliances etc. been dumping there for years. go there today for the 1st time this year, i have 4 trash cans of wood and 1 with dissembled recliner.
start dumping on the ground area as normal. worker comes out and says that it is all household trash and going to write me up.
show him one is full of wood. he says it is in a can it is household. there are tons of crap on the ground already from fences to laundry baskets. point that out, says he had been writing them up to.
the guys that work there before told me just not to dump food and stuff on the ground as it attract bears. the signs don't say anything about large item only. anyway, it is a $250-1000 fine. i call his boss and was debating with him but he had meeting and going to call me back.

• 2Rustled

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

Ever try to crack duck eggs? shells are so tough I found using a knife was the most effective way.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
we have a "waste and recycling center" which 1 bin for carboard and 1 of metal. 5 dumpsters for "household waste" and an area on the ground for construction waste, appliances etc. been dumping there for years. go there today for the 1st time this year, i have 4 trash cans of wood and 1 with dissembled recliner.
start dumping on the ground area as normal. worker comes out and says that it is all household trash and going to write me up.
show him one is full of wood. he says it is in a can it is household. there are tons of crap on the ground already from fences to laundry baskets. point that out, says he had been writing them up to.
the guys that work there before told me just not to dump food and stuff on the ground as it attract bears. the signs don't say anything about large item only. anyway, it is a $250-1000 fine. i call his boss and was debating with him but he had meeting and going to call me back.
Rules are written down somewhere, right? Stick to your guns. Don't let some power mad dipshit change the rules willy nilly.

Sludig

Rules are written down somewhere, right? Stick to your guns. Don't let some power mad dipshit change the rules willy nilly.
Or they can change the rules but should have new signage or at least a period of warnings.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Or they can change the rules but should have new signage or at least a period of warnings.
I am making an assumption that he's paying for this. If not directly, then through something like taxes or POA dues. If so, no way they can just change the rules without notice.

Goatface

well, boss didn't call me back. looked it up, he is a warden. who also fines for illegal burning.

doesn't appear to be any rules anywhere on the counties' website, other than if more than a pickup truck load or commercial must go the dump. (which is $185 per trip minimum). which i didn't know, as i have brought a loaded 10'x18' trailer before.

while looking, found information from neighboring counties. my county appears to be the only one that doesn't list banned items either, like containers of oil and batteries. the other counties have that in big letters on the main sign. wondered about that after going there one summer and someone had dropped off a dozen 5 gallon buckets of used hydraulic fluid.

I am making an assumption that he's paying for this. If not directly, then through something like taxes or POA dues. If so, no way they can just change the rules without notice.

the county has like 8 of these centers, 2 in my area. there used to be 2 unmanned sets of dumpsters right near these places. county removed them due to costs. saying a lot of people were coming from other areas and dumping their trash. old tires are costly to get rid of. with the area being fairly rural that lead to a lot of dumping on the side of the roads and rivers. they then opened these centers. i guess it comes through some taxes, but can't find any information.

also, the other local place, has dumpsters for household waste and a big dumpster for everything else, except appliances, tires and trees.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
1710975429157.png

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amazon Prime. A service that we pay for, now has commercials in all their media. To get rid of them you have to pay….more.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 5 users

Siliconemelons

We all forget even paid cable TV had commercials - we are just reverting back from the disruptive change of streaming that promised no commercials to, well that it once was

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i normally listen to them at 1.75 to 2.0 , maybe a tad faster if they are slow talkers. the only issue, it take me a few seconds to adjust, so stop/starting is a pain as have to back up about 15 seconds each time. it is also very dependent on the genres fantasy or scifi fantasy speed is ok, hard scifi might not make it to 1.5, something i am trying to learn, 1.
iirc, audio books target about 150 wpm and most people read between 250 and 400 wpm.
I keep my audio books at around 5 wpm. Maximum retention.