What's your biggest loss in a game? (Data wipe, save corruption, impossible boss, etc)

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
whats the EQ thing called where you hand the guy stuff while another guy hands him stuff, and the person that does the final click gets the item?

In case no one else has answered this yet: multiquesting.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I think I complained to our mom about it, but obviously nothing would be done.

Something could have been done...

tumblr_nvnn08KtwA1ux1kivo1_400.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I’m like 7. Spent a weekend playing ninja gaiden on NeS with my brother. We stayed up all night. If we slept we would pause the game. Nintendo was burning up.

Our mom made us go to church. We had just got to the final level for the first time. Paused and planned to come
Back to it.

Come home and my dad had shut the game off so he could watch nfl pregame

Same thing happened to me on Ghosts N' Goblins NES version. I was at the final stage on the second playthrough.

No one turned it off, but apparently the fuse at the breaker box popped because my mom decided to vacuum my room that day.

At least that's what she told me...

Oh shii...

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
DQ3 is IMO the #1 RPG on the NES.
IMO too!

Very telling that the ending of such an incredible, beautiful, near-flawless game like DQ11 gives a nod of appreciation to DQ3 in such a marvellous way... that the DQ11 story merely exists INSIDE the DQ3 universe as... a story :)

DW3.jpg

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
IMO too!

Very telling that the ending of such an incredible, beautiful, near-flawless game like DQ11 gives a nod of appreciation to DQ3 in such a marvellous way... that the DQ11 story merely exists INSIDE the DQ3 universe as... a story :)

View attachment 215561

That ending made me REALLY hope for remakes of some of the early games. The DQ11 engine is right there for them to use.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Everquest......
After years of playing on "The Nameless", I befriended Tigole, Desp, and Barnabus of Legacy of Steel. Actually, it wasn't so much of a friendship as it was my main's (Druid named Kalec Brotherwolfe) ability to be their port bitch. As LoS and FoH were the two top guild at the time, I was willing to do some "dirty work" to get into LoS. That "dirty work" ended up with me grouping along on many nights of EC and Rivervale Priest of Discord killings, which CRUSHED my rep with those factions. Next thing I knew, I was kill on sight in places I needed to go for my druid epic quest.

Weeks and weeks of grinding, I was able to recover and finish my epic, but what a pain in the ass. Hell in the end, I got into the WoW "friends and family" beta through Jeff (Tigole), and MAY have gotten an NPC named after me. Who the fuck knows. Kalec may have already been decided without thought of me.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Early EQ, Beta 1, level 12 Paladin. This took a surprising amount of grinding and may not seem like much but I feel like I had put quite a few days getting there. Exp was slow, death exp was significant, gear sucked, spells were under powered, etc, etc. It was a real grind. This was also pre-factions or at least before faction messages were a thing. All faction hits happened invisibly and the Vision was to have players figure the shit out through lore.

I'm bound in Qeynos, everyone in Beta started there. There might have been one other starting zone but I don't think so.

One night in BB I die and respawn at my bind spot and I'm immediately killed by a guard standing next to my bind. Keep in mind, I don't think bind affinity was even in game yet and no one has any idea about factions. So the guard keeps killing me over and over again camping my bind spot. This happens like 3-4 times and I've lost 4 levels by this point (death penalty was legit). I pull the plug and log in with another character to petition.

GM tells me sorry, working as intended, you've earned a bad reputation with the guards. Apparently I had taken some faction hits with the Corrupt Qeynos Guards for killing gnolls in BB and doing quest turn ins and was now KOS and bound right next to two of them with nothing I could really do about it.

I lost days of exp and ended up rerolling a DE cleric named Feyd. People were scared to group with me and would scream at me if I buffed them or healed them because they thought they were getting faction hits LOL! I was a true pariah.

What a time to be alive!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
WoW, logged in, leveled a rogue to around lvl 26 in one of the stress tests, questing around Duskwood, and then bam, all of a sudden I lost 4 years of my life.

lol jk I wasn't going to do anything good with it anyway.

• 1Salty

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Only 4? Psh. Try 8! I wish I could remember all the WoW shenanigans over the years. My saddest memory was probably playing Zelda: A Link to the Past for the first playthrough and corrupting my save file after getting the Earthquake coin (whatever it was called... Bombos maybe?) Anyway... 8 year old me legit cried at the weeks lost (only had a few hours a day to play.) I eventually recovered though and beat that amazing game.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I lost my Dragon Age Inquisition save somehow and haven't played any of the DLC because of it.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Only 4? Psh. Try 8! I wish I could remember all the WoW shenanigans over the years. My saddest memory was probably playing Zelda: A Link to the Past for the first playthrough and corrupting my save file after getting the Earthquake coin (whatever it was called... Bombos maybe?) Anyway... 8 year old me legit cried at the weeks lost (only had a few hours a day to play.) I eventually recovered though and beat that amazing game.

Technically it was 12 because I couldn't get out of that loop and ended up rerolling.

Tim

Molten Core Raider
DQ3 is IMO the #1 RPG on the NES. I know that leveling up and class-changing and re-leveling once has all kinds of benefits. Does continuing to class-change and re-level (every time your characters reach a high level) make your characters even more powerful or is it a diminishing returns situation like I assumed back then?

IIRC, I had just been playing so long on that save I had tried lots of new characters, and filling up an entire roster at Ruidas tavern with too many class changed characters would corrupt you. There's really no benefit to switching back and releveling the same class more than once though, like say in DQ9

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Funny how not a single post here is about losing an expensive ship in those "total loss" ship combat PVP games.

• 1Worf

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FF3/6, I was in grade school and was somewhere in the world of ruin. My older brother saved over my file on accident (3 save slots, I was the first). He stayed up all night and got me back to the floating continent thinking I would be really angry.

From that day forward, I always saved my game on the second or third slot.

iannis

Musty Nester
Temple of Apshai circa 1982 3.25" single sided floppy. Great game but..
The copy I literally stole out of a headshop (wtf were they doing selling video games?1) was fucked up in some way so that the really hard to get to dungeon Lvl 4 had some simple error where it'd load up lvl 3 again. Weak I know but old skool.
I played Fallout New Vegas and got utterly fucked by a dum dee doo quicksave combo and then being forced to choose ( I swear it wasn't obvious! /stoned) to slaughter all the Brotherhood of Steel folks as End Game Win. I swear I went into it thinking I was going to choose them to win ffs. /shame Quit immediately. Enjoyed Robot land sooo much!

Woah. Temple of Apshai. I got that game for my birthday, played it like a week and ragequit.

Shit was hard!

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Happened a lot in the NES days. I seem to remember one instance where I made pretty good progress on Metal Gear and I kicked the console as I was getting up which caused the screen to freeze/mess up. Was pretty annoyed at the time. It's why I've never been of fan of games with save checkpoints as things like a power outage or crash will make you want to fling the controller if you hadn't saved recently.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Funny how not a single post here is about losing an expensive ship in those "total loss" ship combat PVP games.

Most losses described here don't come close to wiping on a PoFear raid in classic and having to try and CR naked.

Planned to raid for 4 hours and go to bed early?

How about a 9 hour CR which reduces your level 50 char to 48.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Early EQ, Beta 1, level 12 Paladin. This took a surprising amount of grinding and may not seem like much but I feel like I had put quite a few days getting there. Exp was slow, death exp was significant, gear sucked, spells were under powered, etc, etc. It was a real grind. This was also pre-factions or at least before faction messages were a thing. All faction hits happened invisibly and the Vision was to have players figure the shit out through lore.

I'm bound in Qeynos, everyone in Beta started there. There might have been one other starting zone but I don't think so.

One night in BB I die and respawn at my bind spot and I'm immediately killed by a guard standing next to my bind. Keep in mind, I don't think bind affinity was even in game yet and no one has any idea about factions. So the guard keeps killing me over and over again camping my bind spot. This happens like 3-4 times and I've lost 4 levels by this point (death penalty was legit). I pull the plug and log in with another character to petition.

GM tells me sorry, working as intended, you've earned a bad reputation with the guards. Apparently I had taken some faction hits with the Corrupt Qeynos Guards for killing gnolls in BB and doing quest turn ins and was now KOS and bound right next to two of them with nothing I could really do about it.

I lost days of exp and ended up rerolling a DE cleric named Feyd. People were scared to group with me and would scream at me if I buffed them or healed them because they thought they were getting faction hits LOL! I was a true pariah.

What a time to be alive!

Qeynos always had the misfortune of being one of the first ones they created. As cool as having a whole ecosystem of corrupt and not corrupt guards is. Especially with the aqueducts being full of shadowknights and the brother of Atonious Bayle down there trying to deal with the Shadow Knights and Bertoxxulous worshippers to overthrow his brother to rule the city. That is genuinely cool background in a game. Even if you gave go to digging for it.

Nonetheless the developers didn't learn to give the corrupt and non corrupt guards at least a visual indicator until later. Freeport corrupt guards have short sleeves and are only in one part of the city, West Freeport. While the good guards are only in North Freeport and so on.

But nope! If you're in Qeynos and eat a harm touch from Guard Dagger-whatever. Working as intended broski!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Most losses described here don't come close to wiping on a PoFear raid in classic and having to try and CR naked.

Planned to raid for 4 hours and go to bed early?

How about a 9 hour CR which reduces your level 50 char to 48.

I lost a corpse in fear. We were doing OK and it was late and people started bailing and were gonna go later. I had shit to do so I bailed with them and didn't get on in time to get it back.

This was very early and I really didn't lose much equipment.

Most things you lose in Eve can be replaced if you don't already have a backup of the ship. Unless you literally are the guy in charge of losing all your corporations stuff. Even then people move on and rebuild. I lost a 1.5 billion ship 3 jumps from Jita (the trade hub) because I was heading out while "at work" and the phone rang and I had to leave. Oh well. Which is peanuts compared to some of the capital ships. There's a guy that people keep posting his killmails he's lost like 1/2 a dozen titans in the last 8-12 months.

Last edited:

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
In my first 4 hardcore years of playing EQ I spent more than one full year online. 365 days played on one character (and I had several more), more than 25% of my life over 4 years online - the rest spent at work or asleep in bed. Somehow I was actually actively getting laid at the time, as insane as that obviously sounds. I don't know how either.

On a failed Plane of Innovation raid I had an epiphany and realized how much a waste of my life raiding and playing in a guild was, since it was 1 hour of play to 4 hours of bullshit organizing or helping someone out or waiting for everyone, and I never raided again. I have played every MMO and online game solo or in small groups ever since. Looking for Raid in WoW was a lot of fun to experience the content commitment free but Blizzard caved to the whining of the 1% and made the loot drab and shit because "welfare legendaries" somehow reduced the value of the gear on "true raiders". That made me quit WoW for good after playing since Beta.

Anyway, I don't regret any part of that year spent in Norrath, or any other MMO for that matter but, dude, the time spent online those first 4 years was just too much.

Edit - nowadays, at my age, I just don't havet he attention span to sit on the computer for marathon sessions in LGuk until 5 am, but I enjoyed it when I was able.

• 1Like