Wheel of Time series

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Maybe, but Sanderson was the one who said the last book needed to be stretched to 3 and she obviously OK'd that.
Yeah he did because I don't think there was any way he could have wrapped up all the story lines in one book. As it is, there are a lot of dangling plotlines that never got wrapped up.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah he did because I don't think there was any way he could have wrapped up all the story lines in one book. As it is, there are a lot of dangling plotlines that never got wrapped up.

Well, given the most prominent example of not doing that is GoT season 8, he probably went the right way there ;p

It's not like Sanderson's WoT books dragged on or anything either.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Well, given the most prominent example of not doing that is GoT season 8, he probably went the right way there ;p

It's not like Sanderson's WoT books dragged on or anything either.
At least one good thing is that Sanderson finishing wheel of time turned me on to his other works.

I used to reread the entire wheel of time series when a new book came out. I had to stop that at book 8 or 9. Haven't gone back since I finished it. Another 5 years or so and I might go back and read the entire series again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Absolutely, it is a very good series. Books 1-3 are all pretty self contained, then you hit Book 4 and the story really opens up with lots of back story, I think #4 is the best book overall. Books 5-7 are also very good, with some of the best scenes (and THE best scene overall). The rest of the series suffers from too many plotlines and general fatigue with the stupidity of women. The last three books by Sanderson were alright considering what he needed to do.

So yeah, definitely read the series.
Totally agree, it definitely had the issues you mentioned (cunty women pretty much everywhere and the ~3 or so books where there’s too many plot lines that aren’t all that interesting) but it’s still an overall great series. I thought the series ended as well as any series the scope of this can, only negative to me is that there are some longer term things that we never will get to see how they turned out, mainly the visions of the future after the last battle that involve the seanchan.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
At least one good thing is that Sanderson finishing wheel of time turned me on to his other works.

I used to reread the entire wheel of time series when a new book came out. I had to stop that at book 8 or 9. Haven't gone back since I finished it. Another 5 years or so and I might go back and read the entire series again.

Uggg. No way I could read books 7-10 (I THINK those are them) more than once. I honestly will skip them on my re-read.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Uggg. No way I could read books 7-10 (I THINK those are them) more than once. I honestly will skip them on my re-read.
the problem is there's plenty of good moments in those books, it's just that the nynaeve/elayne stuff and the perrin/faille stuff in particular took like 1/3 of a book for more than 1 book instead of just being a handful of chapters. there just needed to be some better editing to consolidate that shit.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
the problem is there's plenty of good moments in those books, it's just that the nynaeve/elayne stuff and the perrin/faille stuff in particular took like 1/3 of a book for more than 1 book instead of just being a handful of chapters. there just needed to be some better editing to consolidate that shit.

The Perrin and Faile shit. The Bowl of Winds shit...ugg.

Again I am fuzzy on the books, but 10 I did enjoy the Tuon and Matt chapters.

Nothing really moved forward on those books. And the parts I did like, I remember pretty vividly.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I reread them all in the last year, it’s not too bad because you can skim through most of the bullshit. There’s enough good parts that I definitely wouldn’t skip them even if you already know what happens, just either skip or skim the shitty plot line parts. I didn’t think the bowl of winds plotline was all that bad, Mat saves it and the Kin part of it I thought was pretty good

Last edited:

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought Crown of Swords (book 7) was really good. It’s the next 3 after where shit starts getting needlessly stupid. I would agree on not skipping them outright, and if I ever read the entire series again I would certainly skip everything with Perrin in those books.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Hopefully by the time I get around to the re-read I'll have forgotten most of crap I got slog through.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've never skimmed a series so hard and persistently as I did WoT, I wouldn't re read it even if someone paid me to do so.

It does have its moments though or I wouldn't have bothered.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I selectively reread, anything that is not mat or Rand and I just skip it. Some perrin but not a whole lot.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 4 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
The one reread I did of this series I skipped anything that wasn’t dialogue or action.

• 1Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I recently started rereading the series. I never actually finished it after Jordan died, not because I don't like Sanderson but because of the gap in years between the books and around that time I diminished my reading by a lot and never actually got back to it.

While I think the TV show won't be great, it did rekindled my interest in the books and I've decided to reread it and finally finish it.

This is my 4rd read of book 1-3, and 3rt of book 4--7, and 2nd of books 8-11 and will be first of 12-14.

I'm about to finish Fires of Heaven, probably tonight if all goes as planned.

I haven't skipped anything and don't plan to because even some of the more boring part have some really cool moments here and there. I am skimming some stuff though especially long descriptions.

Enjoying them a lot again.

• 4Like

Adeptus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Maybe I am heretic, but I actually liked Sanderson books more. At least amount of clothes descriptions was lessened and characters started to act a little bit more reasonable (I like many WoT worldbuilding concepts, but I dislike interpersonal relations).

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Barf

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I read the entire series some years ago and I would recommend newcomers don't skip books 8-10 entirely but returning readers might as well read a recap on TVTropes or some wiki, they are truly the worst in terms of pacing and overall cuntiness.

I too thought that Sanderson really brought some fresh air into the pacing and remember thoroughly enjoying his books, though that could also be in part due to some long-standing loose ends finally being tied after many thousands of pages and many years.

I read the final book in one sitting and I would NOT recommend doing that hah.

As for the TV series, I watched season 1 and thought it wasn't good but I'm always curious to see how things get adapted so I'll watch season 2 with the same curiosity, but I have zero hope of them doing anything close to replicating the feeling of the books.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Since this thread is about the TV series, I watched season 1 and thought it wasn't good but I'm always curious to see how things get adapted so I'll watch season 2 with the same curiosity, but I have zero hope of them doing anything close to replicating the feeling of the books.
This thread is about the books.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I am heretic, but I actually liked Sanderson books more. At least amount of clothes descriptions was lessened and characters started to act a little bit more reasonable (I like many WoT worldbuilding concepts, but I dislike interpersonal relations).
The first books are good, but boy does it become a slog in the middle. Sanderson was a breath of fresh air the series needed, cause he had the sense to actually move the story along

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The first books are good, but boy does it become a slog in the middle. Sanderson was a breath of fresh air the series needed, cause he had the sense to actually move the story along
You could tell on some of the plots that RJ didn’t leave notes on where he was going with them and BS had no idea either, so he just basically cut it off. I remember the whole Prophet shit just being ended without any fanfare

velk

Trakanon Raider

The Sanderson books were more consistent, but the peak quality of the Jordan books was higher - the Sanderson ones just didn't have scenes of the quality of the ones like Dumai Wells, the Aiel history flashback or the various interactions with the Aelfin. It's a pity the lows of the Jordan books were also much lower ;p

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users