Wheel of Time series

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Even agreeing with all of the criticism of the series, it’s still one of my favorites. No one else has quite brought a world alive like Jordan did here, even if the plot went off the rails and half of the characters are annoying cunts.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Even agreeing with all of the criticism of the series, it’s still one of my favorites. No one else has quite brought a world alive like Jordan did here, even if the plot went off the rails and half of the characters are annoying cunts.

I agree with with you. His magic was interesting and his world had mystery and intrigue. Not much more you could ask for.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
There's a lot of aspects to like. The fact that most of the women were more or less identical personalities and severe bloat in the middle books aside, he created a lot of really good/interesting characters. His world's magic system was different and the backstory was cool.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I decided to read the series again with the show apparently in the works. I went and did a once over of thumbnails of all the cast so far and I have to admit I literally laughed out loud when I saw the pic of who they got to play Fain and was like "Yep..nailed it" Who is your best and worst at first glance? (not saying whoever can or cannot pull off the character..just gut reaction to the casting) None stood out TOO much as far as negative (maybe Lan or Min being a 'hmm not too sure, but I'll wait and see).

fain.jpg

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I decided to read the series again with the show apparently in the works. I went and did a once over of thumbnails of all the cast so far and I have to admit I literally laughed out loud when I saw the pic of who they got to play Fain and was like "Yep..nailed it" Who is your best and worst at first glance? (not saying whoever can or cannot pull off the character..just gut reaction to the casting) None stood out TOO much as far as negative (maybe Lan or Min being a 'hmm not too sure, but I'll wait and see).

View attachment 345185
Total woke trash. I looked through the WoT reddit way back with the casting for the main Two Rivers characters were released, so much hand waving away the obvious diversity hires for Egwene / Nyn / Perrin by saying all the Two Rivers folk would be dark skinned. Some of the other character casting seems pretty good, like Alanna...she fits the book description pretty well. Kinda surprised Eamon Valda is a black guy considering he rapes Morgase, lol.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Total woke trash. I looked through the WoT reddit way back with the casting for the main Two Rivers characters were released, so much hand waving away the obvious diversity hires for Egwene / Nyn / Perrin by saying all the Two Rivers folk would be dark skinned. Some of the other character casting seems pretty good, like Alanna...she fits the book description pretty well. Kinda surprised Eamon Valda is a black guy considering he rapes Morgase, lol.
Yep, seems like every single person is either black or Asian.

If this isn’t what you envision Siuan looking like, you’re a bigot
She was nearly a hand taller than Moiraine Damodred[4]and was pretty, if not quite beautiful, with blue eyes and a delicate mouth.[5] She was fair-skinned with dark glossy hair to her shoulders. After being stilled, and then Healed by Nynaeve al'Meara, she had lost about twenty years from her appearance[6].

05E0C7B8-B57D-4701-BF3B-DA1F56203532.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Barf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Del

Vyemm Raider
Possibly one of the worst casting jobs of all time.

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
God damn that cast looks worse than if some random LARPers decided to try their hand at WoT

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
That cast legit looks like they all have genetic defects. They just look "missing link monkey" sorta shit, just a very weird group of people.

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That cast legit looks like they all have genetic defects. They just look "missing link monkey" sorta shit, just a very weird group of people.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Usually the one that casts disintegration.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Hard pass for me. Its already been commented on, that Jorden went to huge lengths, every book, to describe his characters. If they are taking this much liberty, with something this basic, I'm sure the rest of the story will be fair game as well.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 4 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Hard pass for me. Its already been commented on, that Jorden went to huge lengths, every book, to describe his characters. If they are taking this much liberty, with something this basic, I'm sure the rest of the story will be fair game as well.

Mudcrush Durtfeet Mudcrush Durtfeet you keep garbage reacting to everyone saying this but the most recent example is GoT; those two followed GRRM's story to a T and it was the most successful fantasy show in television history....until they ran out of runway. They proved that no matter how faithful a television show team wants to be that there is a reason they are in TV and not writing sprawling fantasy epics; because they cannot do it. Shit, even Jordan wasn't that great at it since his books dragged immensely in the middle. Do you really think that this crew is going to fix his issues? Not fucking likely.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Mudcrush Durtfeet Mudcrush Durtfeet you keep garbage reacting to everyone saying this but the most recent example is GoT; those two followed GRRM's story to a T and it was the most successful fantasy show in television history....until they ran out of runway. They proved that no matter how faithful a television show team wants to be that there is a reason they are in TV and not writing sprawling fantasy epics; because they cannot do it. Shit, even Jordan wasn't that great at it since his books dragged immensely in the middle. Do you really think that this crew is going to fix his issues? Not fucking likely.
I think you read too much into my reactions. I have posted previously (if I recall) that I was not optimistic about the WoT series.

• 3Salty
  • 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 5 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
What's the verdict on this series in 2021 for someone that never started it back in the day? Still worth picking up and reading or maybe try one of Sanderson's series instead?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I read the first 3 books probably 20 or more years ago, then read the entire series 2 years ago. I thought it was still good. There are definitely more than a few spots that drag in the two or three books leading up to where Sanderson started writing them but I thought the whole series was really good.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What's the verdict on this series in 2021 for someone that never started it back in the day? Still worth picking up and reading or maybe try one of Sanderson's series instead?
There is some serious drag in the middle, and some infuriating repetitiveness and stupidity from the female characters. The middle books just have a ton of unnecessary politics, extra plot lines, etc that just seemed to be lengthening things for the sake of lengthening it. Other than that it has fantastic world building, crazy magic system, good character building and growth.

I’d say it’s worth reading because it does have a decent conclusion. It’s just really tough getting through books 7-10. There’s some great scenes in those books but so much extra junk made them suck. It gets back on track on book 11. I wish someone would condense 7-10 into one book, leave out the pointless plot lines.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
Books 1-7 are fantastic, 1 especially. 9-11 is filler, you can honestly just read the outline for them online. 12-14/closing trilogy is very good.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users