Wheel of Time series

Sterling

El Presidente
i actually mostly liked the last Jordan book. Knife of Dreams was much better than most of that 7-10 stretch which should have been 2 books and not 4.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
What's the verdict on this series in 2021 for someone that never started it back in the day? Still worth picking up and reading or maybe try one of Sanderson's series instead?

I got burnt by filler several years back and would never recommend this series. It's the same reason I probably won't ever pick up the Game of Thrones books.

Life's too short to read a series that isn't going anywhere.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
i actually mostly liked the last Jordan book. Knife of Dreams was much better than most of that 7-10 stretch which should have been 2 books and not 4.
Agreed, the last jordan book was great. You could tell he realized he was running out of time and the story really started moving. 7-10 were the ones I didn't like.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The irritating part is that despite all the filler Perrin's character development and his final villain, felt like they needed another half a book to fill out to make his subplot ending something that felt earned. But instead we just got like a decade of "AFK, chasing Faile"

Sterling

El Presidente
The irritating part is that despite all the filler Perrin's character development and his final villain, felt like they needed another half a book to fill out to make his subplot ending something that felt earned. But instead we just got like a decade of "AFK, chasing Faile"
I kind of feel like the series ended up being about the right number of books, but 7-10 needed pruning and the sanderson books needed expanding. The Perrin/Faile, and the Nynaeve/Elayne stuff in particular were, way, way too long.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Winter's Heart is aids. Do not attempt to read.

• 1WTF
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I got burnt by filler several years back and would never recommend this series. It's the same reason I probably won't ever pick up the Game of Thrones books.

Life's too short to read a series that isn't going anywhere.
This series does go somewhere and ends though.

I agree with you in regards to unfinished series, and GoT in particular. I don’t regret my time reading them though, the first three GoT were still enjoyable reads and it made watching the show fun.

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
This series does go somewhere and ends though.

I agree with you in regards to unfinished series, and GoT in particular. I don’t regret my time reading them though, the first three GoT were still enjoyable reads and it made watching the show fun.
At the time there was no end in sight. And if I were to find time to go back and re-read a series, I'd pick something I know I'd enjoy, like one of the David Eddings series. A re-read of Wheel of Time would essentially amount to a fresh read of 14 books.

YMMV though.

• 1Dislike

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Winter's Heart is only worth it for one part:

The chapters where Rand and Nynaeve cleanse saidin

You mean the longest chapter in any book I've ever read? That one damn chapter went to so many POV's that I swear to god it was the last eight of the book.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Eddings good, Jordan bad. Wat?

I never got the hate for Eddings; I loved those books even though there was some serious plot armor for every major character. The world was just so different from anything else I had read thus far. It was actually the second fantasy series I ever read right after the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. If you want fucking dark, that is one for you.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't know there was hate for Eddings. Granted I did the majority of all this reading 20-some years ago, but Eddings still holds up for me. And I know my tastes have changed at least a little over time because other stuff from back then like Drizzt books have not held up.

Sterling

El Presidente
I didn't know there was hate for Eddings. Granted I did the majority of all this reading 20-some years ago, but Eddings still holds up for me. And I know my tastes have changed at least a little over time because other stuff from back then like Drizzt books have not held up.
I don't hate Eddings, but it's totally intro level fantasy and all of his characters are essentially trope archetypes dialed to 11. In fairness he wrote a lot of his stuff in the 80s before fantasy was nearly as popular as it became later so it didn't feel as blatant at the time especially as a kid. It's definitely miles better than that Drizzt trash though, for sure.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You mean the longest chapter in any book I've ever read? That one damn chapter went to so many POV's that I swear to god it was the last eight of the book.
No way it was longer than The Last Battle chapter in the final book... that was like 300 pages long.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
No way it was longer than The Last Battle chapter in the final book... that was like 300 pages long.

Oh man, I forgot all about that. I swear it was Sanderson deciding to continue what Jordan started in Winter's Heart and take it to eleven.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Oh man, I forgot all about that. I swear it was Sanderson deciding to continue what Jordan started in Winter's Heart and take it to eleven.
From what I read Sanderson was hamstrung in a lot of ways because of Jordans widow.

He should have never let his wife anywhere near his books

• 1Solidarity

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's the verdict on this series in 2021 for someone that never started it back in the day? Still worth picking up and reading or maybe try one of Sanderson's series instead?
Absolutely, it is a very good series. Books 1-3 are all pretty self contained, then you hit Book 4 and the story really opens up with lots of back story, I think #4 is the best book overall. Books 5-7 are also very good, with some of the best scenes (and THE best scene overall). The rest of the series suffers from too many plotlines and general fatigue with the stupidity of women. The last three books by Sanderson were alright considering what he needed to do.

So yeah, definitely read the series.

• 2Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
From what I read Sanderson was hamstrung in a lot of ways because of Jordans widow.

He should have never let his wife anywhere near his books
Maybe, but Sanderson was the one who said the last book needed to be stretched to 3 and she obviously OK'd that.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe, but Sanderson was the one who said the last book needed to be stretched to 3 and she obviously OK'd that.
Why wouldn’t she? Oh 3x the money and you’re doing most of the work? Where do I sign?