Wheel of Time

Raes

Vyemm Raider
MGB! :emoji_laughing:

I feel like there's something wrong with the way shielding was done but I haven't read the books in so long, whatever :D

Because it looks like , with the version of the One Power they are going with there's no tying off of weaves. Rand is stronger than Logain and they tied his off in the books. Which is another thing...people may have liked this Logain scene, but IMO it really detracts from Dumai's Wells, since the part where Rand breaks free will just seem like a rehash.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
I felt like Logain was more astonished by what she had done rather than thinking she is the DR... but I am holding out hope that this is all just a ruse to trick the show audience into thinking its someone other than Rand.

I was annoyed she went all super saiyan at first but then realized I'd rather have it happen now than have her mope for 2 more seasons.
Moiraine had just told him that he wasn’t the DR because his power was like a candle and the DR would shine as brightly as the sun.
When Nynaeve had her healing moment, Logain was watching her and repeating that “shine as brightly as the sun” line. That why I took it that Logain was considering her as the DR.
I really hope they are just dangling Nynaeve out there to keep the audience guessing like when Thom is suggesting to Rand that Mat is showing signs of being able to channel.

back to Logain though, from the books I remember a scene where Rand made Logain hold as much of the power as he could (or maybe it was Taim) and Rand was just slightly more powerful.
Any one of them would have annihilated any single Aes Sedai and probably up to 2 or 3 at a time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Moiraine had just told him that he wasn’t the DR because his power was like a candle and the DR would shine as brightly as the sun.
When Nynaeve had her healing moment, Logain was watching her and repeating that “shine as brightly as the sun” line. That why I took it that Logain was considering her as the DR.
I really hope they are just dangling Nynaeve out there to keep the audience guessing like when Thom is suggesting to Rand that Mat is showing signs of being able to channel.

back to Logain though, from the books I remember a scene where Rand made Logain hold as much of the power as he could (or maybe it was Taim) and Rand was just slightly more powerful.
Any one of them would have annihilated any single Aes Sedai and probably up to 2 or 3 at a time.

The scene was 100% intended at conveying that she is the DB which is based on the show's attempt at keeping who the DB actual is a secret (there's absolutely no way that it won't be Rand and the fact that they have some of you thinking it's possible they'll go with that shows just how retarded these writers are). While that's still retarded as fuck, the scene at least helps establish a few things rather quickly. Specifically;

1) Nynaeve's strength in the power
2) her focus on healing.

On the subject of Logain - he was always a powerful male channeler. Rand is still more powerful but a lot of what makes Rand seem OP isn't his direct power but rather everything else that he has like LT 'helping him' and thus bringing back several weaves that Logain has no clue about, the Angreal / Sa'Angreal that he always has, etc.

Raes

Vyemm Raider

It was Taim, but that was back when Taim was actually Demandred, before Jordan decided to change it, just because people had figured it out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

From Rands PoV yes, but from Logains PoV, Rand was much more powerful. Same with Taim.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was Taim, but that was back when Taim was actually Demandred, before Jordan decided to change it, just because people had figured it out.
Nah, there was scene where Rand and Logain, with others were at some farm estate that was being swarmed by an army of Trollocs. Rand at this time was getting some knowledge from LTT, which allowed Rand to starting using the teleporting Gates that devastated bunches of Trollocs, he asked Logain to learn the weave and start doing it was well. When the battle was over, that was when Rand asked Logain to hold as much as he could (with Rand being a bit unhinged and kept drawing in more and more power).

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well episode 4 was much better. It's still not anywhere near Expanse or Arcane etc., But it's better than the LARP recruiting video from the previous episodes.

The audience is meant to think 'hey maybe Nynaeve is the Dragon', but it's just to reinforce that she's just a fuckton stronger with the One Power than most of the Aes Sedai. That's the one thing about Wheel of Time that always irked me. You have these people who have admittedly stagnated for hundreds of years but then they get completely shown up by these 20-somethings who discover/re-discover how everything works in short order.

Makes the Aes Sedai look like the Presidential Cabinet from Idiocracy.

• 1Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Perrin is in line with the books where he is also the worst character.

This was the best episode so far. Lots of logain backstory, filled in holes. No major deviations to shit that matters. The Matt storyline isn’t bad. Matt isn’t a likeable character in book one or two he is kinda useless and very paranoid. Matt becomes a likeable character in book 3 when he sticks by rand after being cured and goes to tear to rescue everyone.

I do agree the casting of Matt makes him less likeable because in the book the 17 year old who stupidly takes a dagger he shouldn’t and gets sick and dark is easy to sympathize with but the dirty 30 year old show
Nah, there was scene where Rand and Logain, with others were at some farm estate that was being swarmed by an army of Trollocs. Rand at this time was getting some knowledge from LTT, which allowed Rand to starting using the teleporting Gates that devastated bunches of Trollocs, he asked Logain to learn the weave and start doing it was well. When the battle was over, that was when Rand asked Logain to hold as much as he could (with Rand being a bit unhinged and kept drawing in more and more power).
It was when LTT ripped the power from Rand and started to channel. The battle was finally over and Rand kept pulling in more and more and that’s when Logan was like wtf why are you trying to show off when in fact they had no idea LTT was being an edge lord and about to burn himself out.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well episode 4 was much better. It's still not anywhere near Expanse or Arcane etc., But it's better than the LARP recruiting video from the previous episodes.

The audience is meant to think 'hey maybe Nynaeve is the Dragon', but it's just to reinforce that she's just a fuckton stronger with the One Power than most of the Aes Sedai. That's the one thing about Wheel of Time that always irked me. You have these people who have admittedly stagnated for hundreds of years but then they get completely shown up by these 20-somethings who discover/re-discover how everything works in short order.

Makes the Aes Sedai look like the Presidential Cabinet from Idiocracy.
Like the entire back half of the books is "there are dozens of random cultural organizations hiding piles of channelers more powerful than the Aes Sedai, they just lack the breadth of training"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Like the entire back half of the books is "there are dozens of random cultural organizations hiding piles of channelers more powerful than the Aes Sedai, they just lack the breadth of training"
Wasn’t there even a group of women that were all rejected to be Aes Sedai due to being too old that had members that ended up being more powerful than them? I remember thinking some of the reveals were kind of silly and just power creep setting in.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
If I recall wasn't strength in the power relative to how easy you learned things or discovered things?

Anyway I finally finished episode two, thought it was much better than the first one.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Wasn’t there even a group of women that were all rejected to be Aes Sedai due to being too old that had members that ended up being more powerful than them? I remember thinking some of the reveals were kind of silly and just power creep setting in.
Yeah the Kin ran by the kitting circle.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If I recall wasn't strength in the power relative to how easy you learned things or discovered things?

Anyway I finally finished episode two, thought it was much better than the first one.
Nah it was just “You were born with X potential strength.” Some people could learn things easily but still be weak in how much power they could channel.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Nah it was just “You were born with X potential strength.” Some people could learn things easily but still be weak in how much power they could channel.

Two flavors, those who could be taught, and those born with the innate ability who would channel on their own eventually, called "wilders." Most wilders tended to die from it if they received no training at all once they started using the OP.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Two flavors, those who could be taught, and those born with the innate ability who would channel on their own eventually, called "wilders." Most wilders tended to die from it if they received no training at all once they started using the OP.
Yeah, I was just talking about “strength” in the power. I don’t think that had any rhyme or reason to it that I remember. Everyone that can channel is just born with a randomly assigned power cap.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah the Kin ran by the kitting circle.
except that they were mostly all runaways and people put out of the tower so they're actually generally weak compared to Aes Sedai. There were definitely channelers from other cultures that were on par or even stronger though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This show feels like a video-game adaptation, not a book adaptation.

And by that I mean it's fucking bad.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This show feels like a video-game adaptation, not a book adaptation.

And by that I mean it's fucking bad.
Are they going to do the thing video games do where they try to make a scene look like a videogame, except here it'll just be someone reading a book of exposition at the audience?

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to sitting down and watching the first episode. I'm not blind to the fact that when you make adaptations of books, there will be changes that have to be made (GoT choosing to age up all the characters being a good example--can't have episode one ending with fourteen-year-old Daenerys getting buttfucked by Khal Drogo). But somebody with this show got a little too comfortable with making changes just for the sake of making changes, even if it served no narrative purpose.

Completely unrelated to that, but what was the deal with Moiraine's fight choreography in that first episode? Needing a three minute cast time for a spell that takes out two enemies makes the magic seem mildly impractical.

• 2Like