Wheel of Time

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No no you see it's consistent with the rest of the books. Becoming Dragonsworn makes you super retarded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was just wondering what their whole plan was at that point. For people allegedly traveling hard to reach the White Tower they seem to have settled down with extremely elaborate tents etc.

They even mentioned shielding Logain in shifts of two at a time and had clearly gone through all 6 sisters at least once before Moraine and Lan got there.
The aes sedai are all about formalities, setting up elaborate camps is common throughout the books especially when they are in a hurry.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I was just wondering what their whole plan was at that point. For people allegedly traveling hard to reach the White Tower they seem to have settled down with extremely elaborate tents etc.

They even mentioned shielding Logain in shifts of two at a time and had clearly gone through all 6 sisters at least once before Moraine and Lan got there.
Maintaining a shield was also easy as fuck once a shield was in place.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
No no you see it's consistent with the rest of the books. Becoming Dragonsworn makes you super retarded.
They reminded me of the fanatics in Monty Pythons life of Brian or holy grail. Completely stupid.

Caliane

Maintaining a shield was also easy as fuck once a shield was in place.
oh? I think shad did imply it was possible to break out of shields. Although he did put emphasis on cutting the weave before the shield landed as being the primary means.
It might be related to the power levels going on in the show. the one Aei sadai, suggested new mages have been getting more and more powerful. "the end of the cycle". so, Logain ie just more powerful then them, by alot... Then Nyevave is even more powerful then him.. by alot. and, then I guess you know who is going to be even more powerful.. with a budget they can't even afford.

Shad made a few points not talked about here. he's getting real frustrated, and questioning the creators understanding of the books at all. the darkfriend calling the dark one.. the dark one. As opposed to the reverential term he used. the grand dark lord, or something. also the in general sympathetic nature of the darkfriend here. as noted, she was audience introduction to Darkfriends. and.. shes very sympathetic. I mean, as someone that hasn't read the books. the "good guys" are murdering men, or white cloak questioner murdering witches sadistically.. Moraine murders a ferry man for no reason. she could have pulled him out of the water with as much effort as any of us could pick up a branch.
The aei sadai having her hands cut off in the white cloak camp. hands aren't required for weaving... so, what was that? If they ARE, thats a massively easy to exploit weakness added.
the word Ta'veren hasn't even been said in the show.

Apparently Tom was already recast for s2. I hadn't heard that before.

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
oh? I think shad did imply it was possible to break out of shields. Although he did put emphasis on cutting the weave before the shield landed as being the primary means.
It might be related to the power levels going on in the show. the one Aei sadai, suggested new mages have been getting more and more powerful. "the end of the cycle". so, Logain ie just more powerful then them, by alot... Then Nyevave is even more powerful then him.. by alot. and, then I guess you know who is going to be even more powerful.. with a budget they can't even afford.

Shad made a few points not talked about here. he's getting real frustrated, and questioning the creators understanding of the books at all. the darkfriend calling the dark one.. the dark one. As opposed to the reverential term he used. the grand dark lord, or something. also the in general sympathetic nature of the darkfriend here. as noted, she was audience introduction to Darkfriends. and.. shes very sympathetic. I mean, as someone that hasn't read the books. the "good guys" are murdering men, or white cloak questioner murdering witches sadistically.. Moraine murders a ferry man for no reason. she could have pulled him out of the water with as much effort as any of us could pick up a branch.
The aei sadai having her hands cut off in the white cloak camp. hands are required for weaving... so, what was that? If they ARE, thats a massively easy to exploit weakness added.

Who is Shad?

In the books breaking out of shields is possible but harder than just blocking the weaves from forming the shield. The stronger you are versus the person holding the shield the easier it is to break, but still hard. If there is a certain # of people maintaining the shield then you’re fucked and can’t break it, so the reds travel together in huge packs so they can always have that number holding the shield in place, and rotate people out for rest.

Hands were not required in the books. Movement isn’t even required period, it’s all mental. Just more stupid show changes.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>

The aei sadai having her hands cut off in the white cloak camp. hands are required for weaving... so, what was that? If they ARE, thats a massively easy to exploit weakness added.

Honestly, it’s been so long since I finished the series I’m probably just conflating the idea that it was harder to shield someone when they were holding the OP than when they weren’t. Checking some wikis, it seems that a tied off shield was breakable, especially when the person who was shielded was stronger than the person/group who did the shielding.

Feel like those three linked shouldn’t have had a problem holding Ol Log though. Shrug.

Also I think it was harder for a male to break out of a female shield and vice versa, given that they couldn’t see the knot?

Caliane

Who is Shad?

In the books breaking out of shields is possible but harder than just blocking the weaves from forming the shield. The stronger you are versus the person holding the shield the easier it is to break, but still hard. If there is a certain # of people maintaining the shield then you’re fucked and can’t break it, so the reds travel together in huge packs so they can always have that number holding the shield in place, and rotate people out for rest.

Hands were not required in the books. Movement isn’t even required period, it’s all mental. Just more stupid show changes.
shadiversity. one of those weapon/armor/history/fantasty youtubers. skallagrim, metatron, lindybeige, scholagladiatoria, tod's workshop, modern history tv, etc.. shad is a bit of a spaz often.. but still can be interesting.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, it’s been so long since I finished the series I’m probably just conflating the idea that it was harder to shield someone when they were holding the OP than when they weren’t. Checking some wikis, it seems that a tied off shield was breakable, especially when the person who was shielded was stronger than the person/group who did the shielding.

Feel like those three linked shouldn’t have had a problem holding Ol Log though. Shrug.

Also I think it was harder for a male to break out of a female shield and vice versa, given that they couldn’t see the knot?
Yes about the male and female having a hard time countering the other sex’s magic. Current users don’t know how to see each other’s. That knowledge eventually comes back. Currently they can kind of feel each other’s magic. And can tell when their weaves run into each other/interact but it’s still invisible.

Also correct about easier to shield someone who isn’t holding the power. When they’re connected to it it’s like they’re holding a rope that someone has to cut before they can throw the shield up. If they aren’t connected to the power they can just throw the shield up and the person won’t know they’re shielded until they reach for that rope and can’t grab it.

• 1Like

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Who is Shad?

Hands were not required in the books. Movement isn’t even required period, it’s all mental. Just more stupid show change
Yes about the male and female having a hard time countering the other sex’s magic. Current users don’t know how to see each other’s. That knowledge eventually comes back. Currently they can kind of feel each other’s magic. And can tell when their weaves run into each other/interact but it’s still invisible.

Also correct about easier to shield someone who isn’t holding the power. When they’re connected to it it’s like they’re holding a rope that someone has to cut before they can throw the shield up. If they aren’t connected to the power they can just throw the shield up and the person won’t know they’re shielded until they reach for that rope and can’t grab it.
well according to the books the sisters learn weaves by using their hands. Not the same way for all but it can be different for different weaves.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Stupid phone. Can’t edit .

well according to the books the sisters learn weaves by using their hands. Not the same way for all but it can be different for different weaves.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Stupid phone. Can’t edit .

Right when they were apprentices. They weren’t doing that as they got older and became Aes Sedai were they? If so I completely forgot that. I remember lots of scenes were he mentions the fights just looked like two people staring intently at each other grimacing and sweating. Maybe I’m thinking of the more advanced channelers later in the books.

Sterling

El Presidente
Right when they were apprentices. They weren’t doing that as they got older and became Aes Sedai were they? If so I completely forgot that. I remember lots of scenes were he mentions the fights just looked like two people staring intently at each other grimacing and sweating. Maybe I’m thinking of the more advanced channelers later in the books.
It was some conversation involving some aes sedai that one of them could identify who trained someone to do something based on what sort of gestures they used. like the gestures aren't required to do stuff, but it's how they learned so it becomes part of doing it.

• 1Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A trusted friend from my youth convinced me to watch this.

That friendship is now hanging by a fucking cunt hair.

• 10Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 13 users

Malkav

French Madman

You need to have something in a TV show though. Just having people intensely staring and squinting at each other like they are constipated would be complete shit to watch.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You need to have something in a TV show though. Just having people intensely staring and squinting at each other like they are constipated would be complete shit to watch.
Well you’d show the weaves obviously. Violently battering each other around, mini explosions, etc. no need to have the actors looking like idiots dancing. Moiraine magic scene just looked stupid, like a bad LARP.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

its more then that though. you can have people waving their hands, dancing, etc just for visual effect.. like Xavier touching his eyebrows to show him using his psychic power. But, specifically, they showed an Aes Sadai with her hands cut off, presumably to stop her from channeling. thats not just a visual effect, thats saying in lore, she needs her hands. nobody thinks cutting off Xaviers hands, is going to stop him. from mind fucking you.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What blows my mind is that RJs wife is involved, as well as Sanderson. They HAVE to have good understanding of the books and they’re just like lol fuck it change tons of important shit? Sanderson is probably cringing hard with how much they’re butchering it and they just don’t want to listen or something. You know he has a deep understanding of the series, he had to approach it with that mindset before he started writing.

Sanderson's last book was literally an 800 page modern depression psychology arc in a fantasy story, with a preface at the start of the book that he consulted experts in the field to accurately show a depressed character. He's so deep into gobbling the juice he probably supported the changes. I like his writing sometimes, but he's definitely in the home run territory of the woke field.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
In the books there was hand usage for doing weaves. Remember Teslyn in one of the later books that was "flinging fireballs as fast as her hands could move" ? However, when Nynaeve wraps someone in air, it doesn't actually require any hands moving.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In the books there was hand usage for doing weaves. Remember Teslyn in one of the later books that was "flinging fireballs as fast as her hands could move" ? However, when Nynaeve wraps someone in air, it doesn't actually require any hands moving.
Yeah. I think it was tied to how they learned it and mental blocks people had like someone mentioned earlier. None of the forsaken ever use motions that I remember. I think it was just during a girl learning and she thinks it makes sense to her that she needs to point where the fireball goes, so she just did it that way.

Maybe I’m misremembering and some stuff did require motion, but I do remember tons of stuff happening with zero motion from the channelers.