Wheel of Time

Caliane

shannara had hot chicks, and Manu Bennett. it was far superior.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
yeah the ladies of shannara are definitely not cut from the same mold as the ones in WoT.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk!! FUUUCK FUCK FUCK!

I waited until all the episodes were out. Avoided anything spoilerish after the casting. Had little hope that they would generally stick to the source material after that casting. But for the love of all things good in this world, they fucked this up so bad there is no coming back. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

The ONLY things they got right. Loial. Not the costume, which OMG was bad. (dude is also like 8 feet if I remember). His speech and pacing, with everyone just telling him "we get it". STFU! I chuckled a couple times. They also nailed how I pictured the blight.

thats interesting you found the blight accurate, i thought it looked weird as fuck like some entangled hedge maze or something. The books described it as trees that felt malevolent and hungry, rot and that "dying forest" smell anyone who has been near bogs/swamps knows well, the lake with the creepy giant cthulhu monsters, and of course there was some crazy shit that never was really explored about giant worms that'll fuck up Fades, i pictured some Dune tier monsters. I also thought it really sucked that Moraine kept saying don't touch anything but the 2 kept putting their hands everywhere and sitting down on rocks and shit. And of course missing Aginor, Green Man, and Balzathar suuuuuuuucks.

I do give them a lot of leeway, the last 2 episodes were filmed in the middle of all the covid shit this year and apparently the sets they had built pre covid could not be used so fine, Blight is ok they made do with what they had. Still the whole Eye of the World sequence really.... really.... really just sucked, nothing good about it honestly from the 3000 years ago bizarro scene to the shitty Balzamon Jihadi impersonator to the moving of the Horn frrom EOTW to under the throne. Maybe they just couldn't do big cast scenes for the final episode, I dunno.

oh well, the first episode sucked so after that I was pretty much checked out and every time something shitty happened it was like "yeah, that tracks the writers are awful and the cast sucks".

Only thing you can imagine is the writers get their shit together and the show improves massively in season 2 but the odds of that happening are less than 0.0001% I have to assume, the show seems to be doing well (ratings wise) so there is no reason for the writers not to go even harder in changing shit and be worse about trying to educate viewers about their politics with zero nuance.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
thats interesting you found the blight accurate, i thought it looked weird as fuck like some entangled hedge maze or something.

I pictured huge thick vines slowly creeping across the land (as The Dark One got stronger), with a sickly tint, smell, feel.

Now that I think about it? They even show the seal crumbling?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Visuals / Graphics are almost never as good as you imagine when you read the descriptions. Even when your imagination sucks like mine. I try not to gig any adaptation for that.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I pictured huge thick vines slowly creeping across the land (as The Dark One got stronger), with a sickly tint, smell, feel.

Now that I think about it? They even show the seal crumbling?
I didnt read the books, but the show did show the seal. No, it didnt crumble or imply that it was "weakening".

velk

Trakanon Raider
I didnt read the books, but the show did show the seal. No, it didnt crumble or imply that it was "weakening".

Apparently, in the show, the whole giant thing on the floor was the 'seal'. Moiraine picks up a broken bit of it and has a discussion with Lan about how it shouldn't be possible to break it.

There's some cognitive dissonance for book readers, as the seals are small, hand-held things.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grivyn

Molten Core Raider
Only thing this show was good for was causing me to reread the Book series to clear away the taint of making it through the first 3 episodes before nopping out on it.

It's such a shame they have fumbled this so badly given the epic scope and amount of material they had to play with.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I don’t get the hate, now I noped out of the book around book 5 for all the known reasons but this show is far from terrible. It has problems but like Henry Cavil as Geralt, Rosamund Pike carries the show and scenes with her are the most interesting. Sadly I don’t care about what is going on when she isn’t around.
When the warders friend was killed and they all chest pounding like wolf of Wall Street she sold the pain, that dude just screaming wouldn’t have worked etc.
The trollocs look badass and you can tell where the budget went(sure as shit not on costume design)

Not great not terrible but I don’t regret watching it.

• 3WTF
  • 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 6 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I don’t get the hate, now I noped out of the book around book 5 for all the known reasons but this show is far from terrible. It has problems but like Henry Cavil as Geralt, Rosamund Pike carries the show and scenes with her are the most interesting. Sadly I don’t care about what is going on when she isn’t around.
When the warders friend was killed and they all chest pounding like wolf of Wall Street she sold the pain, that dude just screaming wouldn’t have worked etc.
The trollocs look badass and you can tell where the budget went(sure as shit not on costume design)

Not great not terrible but I don’t regret watching it.
Wot Wheel Of Time GIF by Amazon Prime Video

So gay, Mist Mist in his youth.

• 2Worf

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I got shivers down my spine when the Seanchan appeared. That was good at least.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

They did do a great job with the trollocs. I forgot about that. They also did a good job on the scenic pans arounds I guess, though everyone now does this. They just needed Ghandalf and some hobbits hopping thru the plains.

How can you have gotten to book five and not have issues with this show is beyond me man.

90% of the actors casting and ACTING is bad.

Most of the costumes are bad. Or lacking. I mean seriously, get Rand out of that faux sheepskin coat from Marshalls. I mean they are in Tar Valon for a few days. Clean them up. Give Perrin a shave! They showed that damn barber 3 damn times!

Try not and be as obvious with the sets? Eye of the World = The White Tower Hall.

Not sure where I say that same hexagonal layout of The Ways...but I KNOW I saw that somewhere else. If my old ass noticed, I'm sure others here did.

Christ sake they ruined it from the very jump for me with Perrin being married.

Where is my boy Elyas at? Where's Hopper?

Tam and the Flame? Explain the heron marked blade just a tad? Spend 5 minutes per show explaining small details would have went a looooong way.

But we need to see 20 minutes of warders being faggots because you know...one of they Aes Sedai died? I get it. He's grief struck.

I can go on and on...

But I digress.

I got my girl to read the 1st two books, and she was like...WTF is this shit?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
the trollocs were good when they were just standing there. the trolloc and fade animation was bad though, like really, really bad.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I thought that was a lame ass scene. Maybe if they had explained it better. You kinda need a scene with people half assing the grieving to make a real grief scene work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
They did do a great job with the trollocs. I forgot about that. They also did a good job on the scenic pans arounds I guess, though everyone now does this. They just needed Ghandalf and some hobbits hopping thru the plains.

How can you have gotten to book five and not have issues with this show is beyond me man.

90% of the actors casting and ACTING is bad.

Most of the costumes are bad. Or lacking. I mean seriously, get Rand out of that faux sheepskin coat from Marshalls. I mean they are in Tar Valon for a few days. Clean them up. Give Perrin a shave! They showed that damn barber 3 damn times!

Try not and be as obvious with the sets? Eye of the World = The White Tower Hall.

Not sure where I say that same hexagonal layout of The Ways...but I KNOW I saw that somewhere else. If my old ass noticed, I'm sure others here did.

Christ sake they ruined it from the very jump for me with Perrin being married.

Where is my boy Elyas at? Where's Hopper?

Tam and the Flame? Explain the heron marked blade just a tad? Spend 5 minutes per show explaining small details would have went a looooong way.

But we need to see 20 minutes of warders being faggots because you know...one of they Aes Sedai died? I get it. He's grief struck.

I can go on and on...

But I digress.

I got my girl to read the 1st two books, and she was like...WTF is this shit?
I guess I don’t care about the books so I just watched it for what it was.

I agree with you about the costumes and acting but again I just don’t care enough about the source material to be annoyed.

The Heron marked blade thing I assume will be explained when he wields the one power through it or the like.

• 2Like