Wheel of Time

Xevy

Log Wizard
People are just thirsty for a high-budget fantasy show. The majority of the average show watchers haven't read the book, aren't going to read the books, so they have no idea the changes between the two. I didn't read the books but my brother did and he said he thinks it's alright, understanding how a 500 page book sometimes needs condensing to being palatable for TV. I personally just tolerate the show, I guess? It's not great, but I keep hoping there's some better world building that will make up for the milquetoast characters. I think of all the characters I maybe only like Morraine, but I'll still watch it. It's like when you're out on business somewhere and you know maybe if you did some research you could go eat somewhere local and get something really good, but you'd have to look and then order it and go and pick it up... OR you can just go to McDonalds and get 10 dollars of quick slop that'll do for the night. This is that quick slop. No offense to McDonald's.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don’t think any of us disagree that you need to condense 800 page books into something palatable for tv, but the way they are doing it is not staying true to the books but even worse it’s just plain awful.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This show is a massive hit for... lots of people other than us? I don't know how to categorize it. They are not going to cancel it unless season 2 blows, but at this pace it seems like book readers are the only ones who hate it (although not all book readers, I don't know who these people are who read the books that think this is a good show...)

It's definitely a massive hit. When there are dozens of people here that bitch every week and then watch every episode, how many other people are doing the exact same thing? Add the people who like terrible TV and the many who watch the next big thing no matter what it is, and this show has legs. It's a terrible show but people have terrible taste and an unwillingness to lose any creature comforts, even the ones they supposedly hate.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I don’t think any of us disagree that you need to condense 800 page books into something palatable for tv, but the way they are doing it is not staying true to the books but even worse it’s just plain awful.
I know my first go-to method to condense a book is to remove 75% of it and then insert 50% of stuff that didn’t happen in the books and serves no fucking purpose.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know my first go-to method to condense a book is to remove 75% of it and then insert 50% of stuff that didn’t happen in the books and serves no fucking purpose.

You mean, cut out 90% of it and add 300% of stuff that wasn't there in the first place, right?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk!! FUUUCK FUCK FUCK!

I waited until all the episodes were out. Avoided anything spoilerish after the casting. Had little hope that they would generally stick to the source material after that casting. But for the love of all things good in this world, they fucked this up so bad there is no coming back. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

The ONLY things they got right. Loial. Not the costume, which OMG was bad. (dude is also like 8 feet if I remember). His speech and pacing, with everyone just telling him "we get it". STFU! I chuckled a couple times. They also nailed how I pictured the blight.

Costumes? Shit.
Casting? Shit.
Story after the hack job? Shit.
Sets? Shit.
Acting? Shit. (Except the black dude that played the questioner. He was pretty damn good.)YES his casting was jarring.
Sticking to ANY semblance of the books? WOSRT SHIT EVER.

• 9Like
  • 3Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Show was horrible. Only good thing is I got my wife the first three books and her family is going to book club them. None of them have read the series.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Show was horrible. Only good thing is I got my wife the first three books and her family is going to book club them. None of them have read the series.
It will be funny if they bitch about how bad the books deviate from the show and they’re shit.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
It will be funny if they bitch about how bad the books deviate from the show and they’re shit.
My wife hated the show. Not sure about the rest. She realized how stupid it was and the wymin smert and men dUmb shit they were doing. She will like the books a ton more. I don't care about the rest haha.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'm a complete Jon Snow with this franchise... I know nothing.

My RL friend who was into fantasy novels said it was amazing (this was in the mid/late 90s) and that's all I really know. I trust him, he was intelligent so I'm sure his opinion is valid. I've heard of this series from time to time in my life, and now, today, I just saw the title of the 5th installment and grinned a shit eating grin. So THIS is the source of our namesake? Hah.

So basically: Is this worth watching as a completely blank slate? Yay or Nay? (I'm not going to read the books, no)

• 1Edgelord

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
wymin smert and men dUmb shit they were doing...

I'm cool with this. That was the general tone of the books in the beginning. The big three not giving a fuck and coming to power is part of that. Especially Rand after Dumai's well, and the creation of the black tower. Ohhhh the reeeeee that would have been if they followed the books where Moraine begged Rand to let her stay and help guide him.

That's another issue I have with this TV show. Your wimins smart, menz dumb was already there! Same with your diversity. Same with your gay/lesbo shit. All that shit was there. No need to change it at all. It covered all the bases for these ass fucks.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I'm cool with this. That was the general tone of the books in the beginning. The big three not giving a fuck and coming to power is part of that. Especially Rand after Dumai's well, and the creation of the black tower. Ohhhh the reeeeee that would have been if they followed the books where Moraine begged Rand to let her stay and help guide him.

That's another issue I have with this TV show. Your wimins smart, menz dumb was already there! Same with your diversity. Same with your gay/lesbo shit. All that shit was there. No need to change it at all.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!
It was there and both sides generally had logical reasons for what they did. The women were usually wrong but the men were not totally incompetent like in this show as women doing one stupid thing after another.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

My RL friend who was into fantasy novels said it was amazing (this was in the mid/late 90s) and that's all I really know. I trust him, he was intelligent so I'm sure his opinion is valid. I've heard of this series from time to time in my life, and now, today, I just saw the title of the 5th installment and grinned a shit eating grin. So THIS is the source of our namesake? Hah.

So basically: Is this worth watching as a completely blank slate? Yay or Nay? (I'm not going to read the books, no)
No, it’s sucks. Good scenery. Bad costumes, bad acting, bad special effects. Completely ignoring all the changes they made it still isn’t good.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Caliane

not really. it is a funish trainwreck. fun to make fun of. better then say lost in space, which is just boring.
def more fun, if you take part in making fun of it, via vids, or forums.

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
So that's a big fat no... thanks guys :)

Right, it's for the people that thought - season 8 of GoT was the best thing in the history of television.
I'm honestly not trying to argue, but have you ever met someone who thought this?

Has anyone? I'm not kidding... I really want to meet the type of person who thinks this concluded nicely. You could harness that type of insanity for something good I'm sure.

Sterling

El Presidente
So that's a big fat no... thanks guys :)

I'm honestly not trying to argue, but have you ever met someone who thought this?

Has anyone? I'm not kidding... I really want to meet the type of person who thinks this concluded nicely. You could harness that type of insanity for something good I'm sure.
I don't know anyone that thinks it was the best thing ever. I do know some people that thought it was fine or even pretty good. Those are the same people that think WoT is fine or pretty good. This show is bad. And not just because it butchers the source material. It's bad independent of that.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Right, it's for the people that thought Shannara was good and that season 8 of GoT was the best thing in the history of television.

are you recommending those things right now? Because I've never even heard of shannara and didn't watch got.

Wife and I skipped GoT initially because the books weren't finished and she had gotten burned on the WoT books. Now it's just so long that it's intimidating to think about starting it.