Wheel of Time

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Watching The Witcher season 2 after this makes it glaringly clear that whoever is in charge of the Wheel of Time series needs to hire a damn cinematographer who knows what they are doing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Watching The Witcher season 2 after this makes it glaringly clear that whoever is in charge of the Wheel of Time series needs to hire a damn cinematographer who knows what they are doing.
Sure, then they'd just need new writers, directors, and actors.

• 5Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Your house is on fire...and you're telling the fireman they may need water.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I was disappointed after ep1, had some hope through the middle eps, then the last 2 episodes left me severely disappointed. Overall i rate it about a C.

Imo the end felt too rushed. I thought the first book was going to be 2 seasons.. maybe that was people before amazon,idk.

They made a lot of terrible changes and the end suffered a lot.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Its been decade+ since I read the books, don't even remember the last one I read (maybe 10 or 11) before i noped out of that drawn out cash grab shit show. Literally only books 1-5 were any good and I can barely remember most of the details, just a fuzzy outline of the first 5 books, but uh. Wasn't the whole point of book 1 about the green man? Something about an acorn getting planted ir a pool or something and some big ass tree or something?

Very traditional fantasy trope of adventurers going off to meet a wizard who educates them on shit and they learn the myths and folklore of their world are actually real. You know just setting up the setting and world building?

Other than most of the names being the same this had nothing in common with WOT, and it did fuck all with world building. People who havent read the books have no clue wtf is going on and people who have are just pissed about everything they changed.

Say what you want about sextaposition that GOT used to trick people into learning about the world during gratuitous sex scenes but at least it got people invested. Not that anyone would be interested in any sex scenes with this mongaloid cast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Its been decade+ since I read the books, don't even remember the last one I read (maybe 10 or 11) before i noped out of that drawn out cash grab shit show. Literally only books 1-5 were any good and I can barely remember most of the details, just a fuzzy outline of the first 5 books, but uh. Wasn't the whole point of book 1 about the green man? Something about an acorn getting planted ir a pool or something and some big ass tree or something?

Very traditional fantasy trope of adventurers going off to meet a wizard who educates them on shit and they learn the myths and folklore of their world are actually real. You know just setting up the setting and world building?

Other than most of the names being the same this had nothing in common with WOT, and it did fuck all with world building. People who havent read the books have no clue wtf is going on and people who have are just pissed about everything they changed.

Say what you want about sextaposition that GOT used to trick people into learning about the world during gratuitous sex scenes but at least it got people invested. Not that anyone would be interested in any sex scenes with this mongaloid cast.
It's possible to change things from source material and still end up with a good show that retains the spirit of the source (Preacher for instance).

This is not, unfortunately, the case here.

• 3Like
  • 2Garbage
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Caliane

It's possible to change things from source material and still end up with a good show that retains the spirit of the source (Preacher for instance).

This is not, unfortunately, the case here.
phisey gave you a downvote... while he LOVES Arcane. which did just that. invented new characters for the show. some of which are primary characters. completely changed others. Vi's amnesia is totally gone. what was a core part of her character, and conflict.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
phisey gave you a downvote... while he LOVES Arcane. which did just that. invented new characters for the show. some of which are primary characters. completely changed others. Vi's amnesia is totally gone. what was a core part of her character, and conflict.
It's Mudcrush, so while I completely agree with him, you just want to garbage the guys posts.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
Maybe all of this will convince Sanderson to take an animated approach if they ever do a Stormlight or Mistborn adaptation

I'm catching up on this thread, but fuck me. The only thing I could think while suffering through this show (a favor to the gf, who hasn't read the books) was:

Why couldn't the Wheel of Time IP been given to the Arcane/Riot folks? Arcane's animation was exactly where it needs to be to finally show enough emotion to get you invested in characters. Animation is now >>> live action for anything fantasy, IMO. Riot/Arcane style WoT would have blown this fagshow out of the water, assuming it could have had non-faggot writers.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Your house is on fire...and you're telling the fireman they may need water.

Fair point. However they spent soooo much money on costumes and sets and props and various accoutrements only to film it as if they were shooing a new season of Single Female Lawyer. In contrast the Witcher production costs are likely much much lower in terms of physical objects but they succeed because they are focused on what the camera sees rather than trying to create some sort of Tar Valon themepark.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
Even aside from the show having only some passing resemblance to a book series with mostly similarly named characters, I don't see how anyone can consider this a good show. Bad writing, bad acting, bad costumes, bad choreography, mediocre to bad effects. I can't think of any particular thing that would be considered actually good.

It does a good job of reinforcing The Great Narrative. Thus, plenty of people like it because they belong to a fucking cult.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm catching up on this thread, but fuck me. The only thing I could think while suffering through this show (a favor to the gf, who hasn't read the books) was:

Why couldn't the Wheel of Time IP been given to the Arcane/Riot folks? Arcane's animation was exactly where it needs to be to finally show enough emotion to get you invested in characters. Animation is now >>> live action for anything fantasy, IMO. Riot/Arcane style WoT would have blown this fagshow out of the water, assuming it could have had non-faggot writers.
The problem is only one studio has shown they can do that so far. There are tons of stories that would be amazing in the arcane style but who is going to do them all? Are any other studios capable of turning out something that high quality?

There have been several good animated stories in the past few years but nothing like that. Castlevania, spiderverse, dota. All great in their own way and not even close to arcane level.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
The only guy whose veto could've saved this show is dead.

I can't imagine anyone with the stature and/or spine to step up and say no to Bezos' creatures who reshaped this story into something that would better appeal to the people they follow on social media. IE: people like them. IE: shitty garbage humans.

A good litmus test would be to ask Sanderson if he'd let Amazon adapt Mistborn or Stormlight Archive. You can hear his "Fuck NO" from the future.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only guy whose veto could've saved this show is dead.

I can't imagine anyone with the stature and/or spine to step up and say no to Bezos' creatures who reshaped this story into something that would better appeal to the people they follow on social media. IE: people like them. IE: shitty garbage humans.

A good litmus test would be to ask Sanderson if he'd let Amazon adapt Mistborn or Stormlight Archive. You can hear his "Fuck NO" from the future.
Eh, no. I am almost 100% Sanderson is as woke as anyone running the WoT show, and he would be alright with most changes they suggested. He failed to stop the WoT showrunners from doing as much as they did, so yea... he would take the money and run.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No idea if Sanderson is woke or not because that term is retarded but he is on record in his AMA as saying there was only one or two things that he disagreed with that they changed from the books, so no. The only thing that could save his shit is that he's still alive and would/could ultimately have veto power over things.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
never read the books, on account of there being like 50 of them - this was dogshit

• 1Like

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
never read the books, on account of there being like 50 of them - this was dogshit

There's like 16 or so. 14 for main story, 2 for pre-quels to ease you into the story (Strike at Shayol'Ghul and New Spring).
Even then it could be argued that AMOL (last book) was split into 3 volumes due to it's sheer size, which would cut down the entire series main books to "just" 12.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Eh, no. I am almost 100% Sanderson is as woke as anyone running the WoT show, and he would be alright with most changes they suggested. He failed to stop the WoT showrunners from doing as much as they did, so yea... he would take the money and run.

I think you overestimate how much influence a creative consultant has. If they tell him to fuck off, he has no option but to do so.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think you overestimate how much influence a creative consultant has. If they tell him to fuck off, he has no option but to do so.
He’d have to have something in his contract about final creative say or you’re correct. Show runners that don’t give a shit can just pull a Wheel of Time on you and you can’t do shit, you took their money and signed away your rights.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
There's like 16 or so. 14 for main story, 2 for pre-quels to ease you into the story (Strike at Shayol'Ghul and New Spring).
Even then it could be argued that AMOL (last book) was split into 3 volumes due to it's sheer size, which would cut down the entire series main books to "just" 12.
I was exaggerating.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf