Wheel of Time

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Well, considering he said what he said, it is obvious who the DR will be in the show.

Yeah, it's never even been a possibility that anyone but Rand would be the Dragon Reborn. That's just the showrunner trying to make it more mysterious until the reveal, based on what he's said. It's more about dumb shit like Egwene being Ta'veren. Or that it "could be one of the five." It could never have been Nynaeve. In both the books and the show, the only thing Moiraine knows for sure about the DR is the day he was born on Dragonmount. Nynaeve is too old by like 5 years.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm liking it, is it dropping on fridays?

I never read the books but my wife did. So far her complaints are
1. Egwene is supposed to be hot
2. Nynaeve is supposed to be fondling her braid when she channels
3. The girls were never considered as the dragon.

She did complain about the horse being the wrong color too, but then later they showed it glowing properly in the moonlight.

It's pretty cool watching with someone who knows the whole universe inside and out. Lots of pausing to explain shit they'll probably never get to in the show. She makes it sound like a tedious read though. For example, she said the dresses were described in ridiculous detail.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty much everything was described in ridiculous detail in the books.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I'm not saying she can't follow some hoofprints. I'm saying, look at the sequence of events. Nynaeve gets dragged off during the night battle (so she can get her solo kill). The party leaves the next morning. Nynaeve is the village Wisdom, it's her fucking job to get back and help with the wounded ( and she's supposed to care about people SO much), but the show skips from the pool kill scene, to her sneaking up on Lan. The party left on horseback. So, what happened? Did Nynaeve go back to the Two Rivers, hear that they left, refuse to help with the wounded, and take off after them? And catch up to them while on foot? Because we see/hear about none of that. Did she just magically know that they left and decide to take off after them and not even bother going home first? Makes zero
This is kinda a stupid complaint. Ya they should be taking more time to explain backstory and why characters are good at what but it’s hardly unbelievable that someone on foot catches up

the idea that horses are massively faster than walking except in short bursts especially in that wood environment is pretty much false and mostly something we tend to think because of games and tv. Horses are good for carrying extra shit. Your really complaint should have been what nynaeves plan was in two more days with no supply of water or food being carried by her horse.

its better than travel in GoT which didn’t make any sense either.

• 1Picard

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The AMA was pretty sad to read through, shitty questions and silly, dishonest answers. Here is the reasoning behind suggesting that the DR could be a woman:

"The change we made was not just with the fact that a woman could be the Dragon, the core change we made was that people are NOT 100% convinced that these 3000 year old prophecies are 100% accurate. I think it feels a little bit more true to the world, and you see the characters questioning the prophecies of the Dragon and the details of it much more in the show than in the books (although there are some scenes in the books that show this as well, we've just expanded on that). It seems quite trusting for the Aes Sedai, who trust no one, and especially Moiraine, who trusts less than no one, to believe with 100% certainty ANYTHING that was written thousands of years ago

A truly ignorant answer that shows this showrunner thinks they can make a more interesting story than Jordan.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
He is also flat out wrong the prophecy in the book was not even known by most people in any form close to the actual prophecy. And different areas believed different prophecies many that were rewritten or shadow corrupted like in Seanchan.

I guess I don’t really mind because they questioned them a ton in the books too it’s just him being a idiot thinking he is so smart.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
This is kinda a stupid complaint. Ya they should be taking more time to explain backstory and why characters are good at what but it’s hardly unbelievable that someone on foot catches up

the idea that horses are massively faster than walking except in short bursts especially in that wood environment is pretty much false and mostly something we tend to think because of games and tv. Horses are good for carrying extra shit. Your really complaint should have been what nynaeves plan was in two more days with no supply of water or food being carried by her horse.

its better than travel in GoT which didn’t make any sense either.

Ok, genius, how the fuck did she get across the river so quickly? Moraine destroyed the ferry. The fact that she was on foot was just one of the many things I listed that was wrong with that whole sequence. You got any dumbass answers for the rest?

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ok, genius, how the fuck did she get across the river so quickly? Moraine destroyed the ferry. The fact that she was on foot was just one of the many things I listed that was wrong with that whole sequence. You got any dumbass answers for the rest?
I mean, I know she's black.. but the CGI power ranger thing stopped chasing her and she could just swim. :trump:

• 1Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Book vs TV debates aside, the whole trope about "oh no how will we cross the river" gets so over used in these stories. It only works if you are on a long journey with a lot of gear, or in icy weather, or something. Otherwise, "umm, maybe we should just swim?"

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Book vs TV debates aside, the whole trope about "oh no how will we cross the river" gets so over used in these stories. It only works if you are on a long journey with a lot of gear, or in icy weather, or something. Otherwise, "umm, maybe we should just swim?"
If you are referencing the Trollocs, it was stated that they hate water. It is a fantasy so perhaps water is deadly to them? Maybe they cannot swim. Given the hooves most had, I could see why. Since it is a fantasy, perhaps there is a very good reason why a person would not want to swim in deeper waters. In fiction based fantasy, there are often creatures that live in water that might make swimming uncomfortable. Like fashion, the river scene was not that big of a deal to me.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
If you are referencing the Trollocs, it was stated that they hate water. It is a fantasy so perhaps water is deadly to them? Maybe they cannot swim. Given the hooves most had, I could see why. Since it is a fantasy, perhaps there is a very good reason why a person would not want to swim in deeper waters. In fiction based fantasy, there are often creatures that live in water that might make swimming uncomfortable. Like fashion, the river scene was not that big of a deal to me.
No I get the Trollocs. No major complaints about the ferry scene, seems like they got most of the key parts.

I'm talking about the trope in general. It gets used in pretty much every fantasy story at some point. We've got characters who can do crazy magic, solo 10 foot tall monsters, but apparently can't handle water a little over waist deep. Its not even a question of being trained swimmers who can do the butterfly stroke gracefully or something, its about "just don't die while in the water", something that pretty much every other mammal can do with no problem. And also humans, in real life at least.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
No I get the Trollocs. No major complaints about the ferry scene, seems like they got most of the key parts.

I'm talking about the trope in general. It gets used in pretty much every fantasy story at some point. We've got characters who can do crazy magic, solo 10 foot tall monsters, but apparently can't handle water a little over waist deep. Its not even a question of being trained swimmers who can do the butterfly stroke gracefully or something, its about "just don't die while in the water", something that pretty much every other mammal can do with no problem. And also humans, in real life at least.
Well in the book the river is described as quite a bit more rapid than what it showed on screen, still though rivers aren't particularly safe when you are trying to get across with a 7 people and horses and all your shit.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
How pissed will the the social media fans of the show be if the Dragon Reborn is NOT a female of colour but instead a white male?

• 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How pissed will the the social media fans of the show be if the Dragon Reborn is NOT a female of colour but instead a white male?

The only response:
giphy.gif

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Book/world related question. I’m not a book reader but last year spent a few days with wheel of time summary YouTube videos as my commute listens.

The idea of the wheel of time is that everything is cyclical right? And that history repeats itself?

Potentially naive of me but the world doesn’t seem to properly repeat itself? We don’t end up in a position each time where the men are using the one power, the age of legend etc. The only thing to repeat seems to be the dark one striking again and the dragon reborn coming?

Is it just that the original dragons time was the origination of the world and now the only bit of the pattern that repeats is the dark one striking again and the dragon coming again?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Book/world related question. I’m not a book reader but last year spent a few days with wheel of time summary YouTube videos as my commute listens.

The idea of the wheel of time is that everything is cyclical right? And that history repeats itself?

Potentially naive of me but the world doesn’t seem to properly repeat itself? We don’t end up in a position each time where the men are using the one power, the age of legend etc. The only thing to repeat seems to be the dark one striking again and the dragon reborn coming?

Is it just that the original dragons time was the origination of the world and now the only bit of the pattern that repeats is the dark one striking again and the dragon coming again?
Kinda. The Pattern creates variations on a theme (Creator vs. Dark One) eternally via the Wheel of Time. How this plays out is left up to those who are taking part in the struggle. Some souls are always reborn, though not always at the same time. That would be the only constant, I think.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The dragon and Ishamael are the only souls who are born to specific purposes each time… it’s even a little unclear if ishamael is correct that he is part of the cycle.

basically dragon is like neo the pattern detects a problem with outside interference from the dark one and the dragon soul is born again to defend against it. The dark one is not part of the pattern or wheel of time, it is an outside force

spronk

FPS noob
enjoyed episode 4, the scene with perrin and the traveling people mom was pretty great, that actress is fantastic. Some of the fights were goofy and its really, really too bad Egwene and Nynaeve's actors were beaten with the ugly stick (Nynaeve got a double helping!) but at least they seem like decent actors. Nynaeve's hair looks so fake its hilarious, it looks like nylon rope piled on her head lol

I know everything is gonna come crashing down and the show will turn into a massive turd before the season ends but its kinda fun trying to figure out when, I'm guessing episode 9.

• 1Like
  • 1Cringe