Wheel of Time

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
Agreed. Condensing the proper material to include in the show. I've been trying to figure out the most egregious change, from my perspective, and haven't decided yet because there are too many.

I'm with you on the Lan scene, too. The books were all about how rarely he would change expressions, let alone show emotions.

Another question I have is, if Egwene is supposed to be beautiful, and has a nose like that, what is Faile (?) going to look like?
cartoon-characters-with-big-noses-3-1.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
What they did with Loial's appearance was one of those off-putting aspects that every time he was in a scene, all I could think about was how horrible he looked versus the book's description. My wife is watching it with me and she has since picked up the books. I told her it will be very obvious the things they got wrong, intentionally or not.

I don't disagree with them on condensing some stuff to fit it into 8 episodes (another discussion altogether) but there are some things you just can't skimp on.
I could have cast Loial better than those woke fuckwits that worked on this shit show.

giphy (4).gif

Instantly 100% better casting

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I still don't get how she hasn't gone to a dermatologist.
Sending that chick to a dermatologist would be like repainting my old Hyundai. The transmissions shot, the battery's dead, it technically runs but we let the registration lapse cause it can't get into 5th gear anymore, so now it just sits there.

No responsible car painting shop would give it a new paint job, cause whats the point?

Actually, my Hyundai was a damn fine car in its day so its a bad analogy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
If they just stuck to the script and truncated books 6-10 into 2 seasons or so, this show would have been a slam dunk. Even if the casting, directing, writing was bumpy, the source material is strong enough and fan base large enough that it wouldn't have taken much to keep it on the tracks.

Instead what we have is some hack using the source material as inspiration to tell some entirely different story of his own making. There's no way this guy is capable of elegantly resolving any of the shockwaves he made by completely eviscerating the story. This might be somewhat palatable if the guy was a rabid fan and talented, but rather he seems to just be using the brand equity to spew D tier boilerplate fantasy crap all over the screen.

It's hard to tell what is being changed deliberately versus just a complete lack of attention to detail as they put this thing together. For example, in the Lews Therin flashback, the Amyrlin refers to him as 'Lew Therin Telamon, Dragon Reborn'. Which literally makes no sense, but perhaps there's some rhyme or reason there. It's also really frustrating to see Lews Therin, one of the ultimate badasses in the genre, being reduced to an indecisive simpering bitch. Is a strong male character really that verboten?

I hope it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone else re-does this series after Amazon cancels it for being an abject failure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I think this is a one-and-done sort of deal. The source material is too dense and out of control for a second adaptation to be greenlit.

This is almost certainly the only Wheel of Time we will see.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Lol you think there will be a Faille. Didn’t you see all that tension between Perrin and his wife before he axed her? He’s obviously gay and she is struggling with it.

He will marry Fred Bashere. Failles gay brother.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Lol you think there will be a Faille. Didn’t you see all that tension between Perrin and his wife before he axed her? He’s obviously gay and she is struggling with it.

He will marry Fred Bashere. Failles gay brother.
Nah, the wife he killed at the beginning is going to be revealed to have been Faile all along, and Saldea will declare war on two rivers once they find out. Nynaeve will then return to defend it, at which point she will be declared the dragon reborn and solo the army with her knife. Davram Will turn out the be the dark one, and Rand will marry Galad who travels to defend the two rivers because it is a part of Andor.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The show runners did say that they have to compress and trim some characters because there are so many 'main' characters over 14 novels.

I kinda wonder which ones they will actually merge / kill.

spronk

FPS noob
elaida/liandrin/few other black ajah combined
galahad/gwayne combined
all the whitecloaks combined into black questioner and older army guy
forsaken shrunk from 13 to 3-4?
the aiel and seanchan are shrunk to much smaller groups
the stuff with the sitting circle is completely cut

while they are filming season 2, what we could hope for is that it lands like a wet thud and show is cancelled before season 3 begins filming. This is just like any shitty network TV show I don't watch, it sucks this is the best we got but honestly I'm not gonna stan hard for the source material, I don't care this show sucks, and its a bummer that we'll not see another adaptation in our lifetime but I never expected one anyways.

I am gonna be bummed though when they inevitably butcher Black Company, Commonwealth Saga, Snow Crash, and other IPs I hold in much higher regard. Its gonna be a real fuckery when Malazan gets turned into some rom com bullshit.

• 1Like

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I thought it was funny how Ba'alzamon in Ep8 was looking like some Muslim/jew mesh guy, even with that beard. The only thing missing was a dinamite chest wrap with a trigger.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
galahad/gwayne combined

while they are filming season 2, what we could hope for is that it lands like a wet thud and show is cancelled before season 3 begins filming. This is just like any shitty network TV show I don't watch, it sucks this is the best we got but honestly I'm not gonna stan hard for the source material, I don't care this show sucks, and its a bummer that we'll not see another adaptation in our lifetime but I never expected one anyways.

I am gonna be bummed though when they inevitably butcher Black Company, Commonwealth Saga, Snow Crash, and other IPs I hold in much higher regard. Its gonna be a real fuckery when Malazan gets turned into some rom com bullshit.
Elaida was never Black Ajah
Combining Galad and Gawyn would be real, real awkward considering how divergent they end up.
Definitely seems like they've combined at least Bornhold in with Valda.
Them reducing the number of Forsaken seems very likely
Sitting circle? I assume you mean the Kin/Knitting Circle? Not sure you can completely cut them, but they seem like a likely spot to be greatly reduced.

Black Company was bought by Eliza Dushku's production company and she wanted to play Lady. Which might have worked 15 years ago, but not sure it would now, aside from how bad they'd likely shit it up anyways. There will be plenty of ruined fantasy IPs until they totally run it into the ground.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Picked up my g/f from the salon this evening. As Im talking to her stylist, while they were wrapping up - I found out that he liked Wheel of Time. He also had never heard of Arcane and watches anime's a lot. I could throw shade that he's gay, and that might explain some things. But still, was not expecting someone that liked this show.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
What are you talking about, there are a bunch of faggots here that like this garbage.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
galahad/gwayne combined

This show is a massive hit for... lots of people other than us? I don't know how to categorize it. They are not going to cancel it unless season 2 blows, but at this pace it seems like book readers are the only ones who hate it (although not all book readers, I don't know who these people are who read the books that think this is a good show...)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sitting circle? I assume you mean the Kin/Knitting Circle? Not sure you can completely cut them, but they seem like a likely spot to be greatly reduced.
When they are making sweeping changes and completely cutting out huge chunks of the books and completely making up new shit what makes you think “not sure you can completely cut them”? They’ve shown they can and will cut whatever the hell they want.