Where is the line drawn for time based achievements?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eliud Kipchoge makes history as he shatters two-hour marathon barrier

This is still an awesome run.

The problem I have is the celebration of the time. This person used methods that provided a clear advantage to his ability to break the record. Technology has always played a part in advancing run times through-out recent history. I do not argue technology, as long as it does not directly have an effect on the person. Things like body enhancements as an example. Shoes and laser guidance are fine. The problem I have is when other people are incorporated with the event. How is it an achievement, if other people were used to break resistance, making it less stressful to run? What is the difference between that and just having the people carry him for a mile? Will all long distance events require having a pack of people to help you out?

It just does not feel like this person really broke the 2 hour marathon.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

The problem I have is the celebration of the time. This person used methods that provided a clear advantage to his ability to break the record. Technology has always played a part in advancing run times through-out recent history. I do not argue technology, as long as it does not directly have an effect on the person. Things like body enhancements as an example. Shoes and laser guidance are fine. The problem I have is when other people are incorporated with the event. How is it an achievement, if other people were used to break resistance, making it less stressful to run? What is the difference between that and just having the people carry him for a mile? Will all long distance events require having a pack of people to help you out?

I mean, it's right there in the article.

The time will not be an official world record but is nonetheless a historic moment

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw that. The question is, what was the point? If it is not official, and not individual, why really do it? I can break the record in a car but that is not an achievement.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

jesus fuck
19621754-7565337-Kipchoge_said_afterwards_I_want_to_inspire_many_people_that_no_h-a-52_1570884412396.jpg

34??? even with his +5 to black don't crack, holy shit running in the sun will fuck yo shit up.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I saw that. The question is, what was the point? If it is not official, and not individual, why really do it? I can break the record in a car but that is not an achievement.
All "records" are just arbitrary settings. Generally an official body decides on the specific qualifications for anything. Guinness book of records, just makes up categories all the time. Just need one of their people to come over and record it.

So, with marathons as you note, "official" marathon times have standards for sport competition. While an unofficial sport record for something like this, were its on an indoor track?, or with aides, all downhill, etc. just to see what the fastest a person can be, with all advantages might be interesting, and its own record.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's more like this is possible now, I guess. Just doing a marathon is enough to impress me. I guess that dude gets some cred among enthusiasts. Which is probably all he was going for outside of seeing how fast he could do it.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Why not? I mean, people do things all the time that are not official. It's a pretty wild thing, but its nothing record worthy, unless you do like what speedrunning community does have have a categoey for TAS (tool assisted) runs. In which case, this could get interesting.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The dude still ran 26+ miles in under 2 fucking hours. It's still a pretty amazing accomplishment, and consider that this same dude still holds the official world's fastest marathon time at 2:01:39. So with tech assistance and favorable conditions they were able to shave two minutes off the official time, but it's not like the dude was being carried.

Do people shit on Prater for not kicking his 64 yard field goal at sea level?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
jesus fuck
19621754-7565337-Kipchoge_said_afterwards_I_want_to_inspire_many_people_that_no_h-a-52_1570884412396.jpg

34??? even with his +5 to black don't crack, holy shit running in the sun will fuck yo shit up.

Endurance sports favor rail thin people with zero upper body muscle mass, which is not really a good look for men (or women). The pro cyclists all look bad too, massive legs with a gaunt skeleton for an upper body.
Choose swimming or gymnastics if you want to look good.

1570904348571.png

1570904802290.png

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's more like this is possible now, I guess. Just doing a marathon is enough to impress me. I guess that dude gets some cred among enthusiasts. Which is probably all he was going for outside of seeing how fast he could do it.

Except it's only been proven possible if you're drafting the entire time and have laser guidance. I find his actual world record time more impressive since I have no idea how big or little of an advantage any of those things actually gave him

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Endurance sports favor rail thin people with zero upper body muscle mass, which is not really a good look for men (or women). The pro cyclists all look bad too, massive legs with a gaunt skeleton for an upper body.
Choose swimming or gymnastics if you want to look good.

View attachment 226435
world class rings competitors look just as ridiculous because they intentionally skip every leg day. If you want to look good you should just do bodybuilding where you can work out like, 2 hours a week and look good. If we're going to be gay about it, I think physical combatants (boxers, mma fighters, wrestlers etc) have the best physiques both because they have to cut weight and also because they need strong, general purpose musculature but especially very strong necks, forearms etc. It's a very primal, functional physique.

Mahes Mahes I think when a person gets super involved in something they'll focus on finer details of it that people outside the sport (like me) don't really care about.

Imagine being the world record holder for marathon and training running for 5 hours a day for 20 years. I think about ways to make my coffee more efficient in the morning, so it's no surprise he got his mates together and said "hey buds, lets cycle the V formation from mighty ducks and blow this two hour record lol". Shit it was probably pushed by his sponsors just for publicity.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Except it's only been proven possible if you're drafting the entire time and have laser guidance. I find his actual world record time more impressive since I have no idea how big or little of an advantage any of those things actually gave him
He's got the world record for marathon at 2:01:39, and he failed to break 2 hours last year or whatever with this V formation drafting, so I imagine this record of 1:59:40 is close to the best he can do. So it only helps a few percent. 7299sec vs 7180, so with assistance he ran it in 98.37% of the time...

I want to see someone break that record by running downhill.

Last edited:

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
He's got the world record for marathon at 2:01:39, and he failed to break 2 hours last year or whatever with this V formation drafting, so I imagine this record of 1:59:40 is close to the best he can do. So it only helps a few percent. 7299sec vs 7180, so with assistance he ran it in 98.37% of the time...

I want to see someone break that record by running downhill.

Given the incredible wear that would put off the body it would have to be a very slight downhill to make it work. Basically totally flat to very slightly downhill would be best.

• 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
But holy shit can you imagine how fast they'd be running at the bottom of a 13 mile tall mountain?

For real though, would they even still be a solid if they fell?

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
They are already averaging 13mph. It's crazy even without any advantage.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
/me scrolls through lots of posts of boring sports crap...

Now let's get to the real questions of enhancements in sports. Should fake tits and silicone but implants be considered cheating in women's beach volleyball or not?