White Wolf sold to Paradox by CCP

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Vampire The Masquerade Owner White Wolf Acquired By Paradox Interactive

Paradox Interactive has acquired White Wolf Publishing from EVE Online developer CCP Games. Paradox EVP of Business Development Tobias Sj?gren is leaving his post to become White Wolf?s new CEO.

White Wolf is an America-based RPG and book publisher, with several books, board games, and card games based on the universe World of Darkness. For video gamers, they are most famous for Vampire The Masquerade, from which several Vampire and Hunter: The Reckoning video games are based on.

White Wolf merged with CCP in 2006, and stopped producing their own material, in lieu of licensing it to other publishers.

With this acquisition, White Wolf shifts roles again, this time as a subsidiary of Paradox. The two companies are now laying down plans for new games to release starting in 2017. While Paradox will of course bring games to PC, and potentially to consoles, mobile is not out of the equation. They are also actively seeking out devs who want to license and make new games.

Paradox itself is riding high from the success of Cities Skylines, and is approaching this acquisition cautiously, but with a mind towards making as much of use of White Wolf and its properties as possible.

Paradox CEO and President Fredrik Wester had this to say:

Like Paradox?s games, White Wolf?s properties have dedicated, passionate communities. While there are similarities in spirit, White Wolf?s IPs have very different themes than Paradox?s titles, and deserve their own brand and team. We have great respect for White Wolf?s gaming worlds and see big opportunities for their expansion in the future under our new subsidiary.

Incoming White Wolf Publishing CEO Tobias shared this statement:

Over the last 20 years, I?ve had the opportunity to work with beloved studios like DICE and Paradox on the business management side of games, and as a developer earlier in my career. I look forward to bringing my experience to bear as we pursue new ways to interact with White Wolf?s universes. The White Wolf IPs are well suited for all kinds of media and we see great potential to expand them in the future.

Finally, CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar P?tursson said this:

At CCP, we have great admiration for the White Wolf brands and communities, and it was extremely important to us that the acquiring company share the same respect and understanding. With Paradox, we know we are leaving the brands in good hands.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Little odd since Paradox only seems to do city builders and war sims but I'm all for anyone taking a crack at White Wolf properties at this point since CCP was just letting them rot.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well now they have a good foundation for building some decent RPGs. Probably purchased it for that exact purpose.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is it safe to assume they want to revive the Vampire franchise?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I did like the attitude I saw from them when they released Cities: Skylines so I don't think WW is in entirely bad hands. Here's hoping they'll gather the know-how to make good RPGs.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Also, they should pull a Disney and declare the World Reboot WW did to be non-cannon. Throw all that new lore shit away.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Also, they should pull a Disney and declare the World Reboot WW did to be non-cannon. Throw all that new lore shit away.
rrr_img_114615.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the revision they did wasn't very popular from my understanding.

CCP let that shit rot for so long too. Hope Paradox got a good price on the IP for that reason alone. CCP really squandered their purchase here.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Well, Paradox has published Pillars, which was made by Obsidian, which has quite a few ex-Troika people ...

My body's ready.

Dulldain_sl

shitlord
Didnt Obsidian do a "thing" with Paradox in the publishing of Pillars of Eternity? With a prior working relationship maybe Obsidian will develop it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was never too big on VTM but the reboot was fucking terrible.
Same. I bought into the NeoGAF hype of VTM and it never clicked with me. I do remember the ghost mansion area though to retrieve an amulet or some shit. That place was incredibly well done.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
We used to have a group of 6 old black men come into my local hobby shop and play Vampire:The Eternal Struggle or Jyhad as it was called. The game was long dead but they came every week and played this huge multplayer games. It was very very weird compared to our local very young very white MTG demographic.

I'd expect emo/goth kids being interested in it but not old black dudes.

since they never bought anything (Store didn't have the game) or talked much with the other regulars I think they might of been real Vampires and they used the game for some real nefarious purpose.

They stopped showing up a few years back never seen them again.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The tabletop side has not been rotting. CCP licensed most of the IP to Onyx Path Publishing, which was made up of old White Wolf writers and producers. They've had a ton of releases the last few years, especially via Kickstarter special editions. Onyx Path owns some of the IP outright, such as Trinity and Scion. They had to license World of Darkness and Exalted, though. I hope the writers get to keep doing their thing and putting out quality work.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I guess I'm the odd man out here, in that I actually prefer the newer WoD to the old one, especially since they started doing the second edition of it. Maybe I'm just a couple years too young for the super-90s gothic-punk stick-it-to-The-Man vibe that runs through the old WoD to really grab me. Hope they don't decide to axe the new WoD just because the old one has better brand recognition, and if we were to actually get some decent computer games out of it, that would be pretty fucking awesome.

Eh, we'll see, I guess.

Malkav

French Madman
I juste hated what they did to the lore, going from the Masquerade to Requiem.

I mean...Really? Malkavians being a fucking lame Ventrue bloodline? Come on!

Anyway, good news, hope to see some new games in the WoD universe.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I juste hated what they did to the lore, going from the Masquerade to Requiem.

I mean...Really? Malkavians being a fucking lame Ventrue bloodline? Come on!

Anyway, good news, hope to see some new games in the WoD universe.
Yeah, I can get that. Although I do understand the reasoning behind why they did it, having the clans sorta represent more core variations on the vampire mythos, and bloodlines contain the really weird shit, whereas in VtM the weird shit was just kinda everywhere.