White Wolf sold to Paradox by CCP

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So, with this news, I've been turning over in my head the idea of them making use of both the old and new WoDs in computer games. Will they actually do that? No clue, but it's probably a long shot. But I've been thinking over *how* something like that could reasonably be done, and fuck it, I feel like sharing my thoughts:

The obvious worry Paradox might have about using both is brand confusion, what with them both being called the World of Darkness, and using a lot of the same foundational ideas, albeit in different ways. The simplest fix would be to simply rename one of the settings-probably the NWoD, so they can bank on the name recognition with the OWoD.

Beyond that, the way to go would be to use each setting for different types of games-more specifically, different sub-genres of RPGs, ones that play to the perceived strengths of each setting.

So for the OWoD, you go for what I guess we can call Bioware-style RPGs, where the focus is on telling a particular story, writing memorable characters, and generally leveraging the shit out of the accumulated lore that's built up in the setting.

For the NWoD, you go for Bethesda-style RPGs, where the focus is less on creating a story, and more on creating a sandboxy setting, where you give the player a big open city with cool shit in it, and let them have the experience of playing a vampire (or werewolf, or mage) living in that city.

*shrugs* I think it could work, at least.