White Wolf sold to Paradox by CCP

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I will say that Aberrant and Trinity were great, even if Aberrant games inevitably ended up being teams of superheroes instead of adhering to the setting.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, I can get that. Although I do understand the reasoning behind why they did it, having the clans sorta represent more core variations on the vampire mythos, and bloodlines contain the really weird shit, whereas in VtM the weird shit was just kinda everywhere.
Overall, I thought that the clans in Masquerade had each way more personality than in Requiem, even though there was less of them in Requiem. If you dug up the lore, there was a lot of interesting things about Malkavians, Serpentis and so on. And I'm not even talking about things like True Brujah (the original bloodline, which was not dumb and had time manipulation).

iannis

Musty Nester
Paradox is also linked in with Obsidian. When Troika dissolved, they were mostly absorbed into Obsidian. So there might be a plan to outsource the game development and have Paradox publish.

Or we might get EU:VI:The Bloodening Crusades

Which would be interesting enough to play.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm just so happy CCP won't be sitting on the IP's letting them rot into obscurity and maybe now something great can be done with the setting again. Just give me a Werewolf: Apocalypse version of VTMB:Bloodlines.

Also this happened:
rrr_img_114634.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm just so happy CCP won't be sitting on the IP's letting them rot into obscurity and maybe now something great can be done with the setting again. Just give me a Werewolf: Apocalypse version of VTMB:Bloodlines.

Also this happened:
rrr_img_114634.jpg

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
This will hopefully lead to the project Obsidian was previously working on while trying to obtain the rights to WoD but was canned after CCP bought them. You know what just rename Obsidian Troika and get this shit rolling again.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Obsidian making games off White Wolf IP? Man, this might be the best news I've heard in a very long time. Mage game please! I could go for a Wraith one too!

Szlia

I guess we'll never get that World of Darkness MMO we could have expected when CCP bought White Wolf... not a big loss as far as I am concerned, as it would have been in the contemporary setting, which I like a lot less than the Dark Age setting.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I guess we'll never get that World of Darkness MMO we could have expected when CCP bought White Wolf... not a big loss as far as I am concerned, as it would have been in the contemporary setting, which I like a lot less than the Dark Age setting.
White Wolf/CCP was making it, and canceled it because they couldn't get the job done.

Would have been trash had it ever been released. Be glad we missed out on it.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
The horror stories from that development cycle should be used as a prime example of how not to run your business as a developer and having pretentious asshats in your management structure. If I remember correctly they had a CCP podcast recently that addressed a question about the WoD license and what was happening and they CCP guys on the podcast just began laughing and said it would just collect dust till someone wanted to do something with it. Jesus fuck that company.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Obsidian making games off White Wolf IP? Man, this might be the best news I've heard in a very long time. Mage game please! I could go for a Wraith one too!
I loved mage but I didn't get to play it much. I played V:TM and the Werewolf a ton back in the 90's tho (Get of Fenris, bitches). I loved Wraith but never could get find a group playing it, when I did play it at a con, it wasnt run like the beetlejuice-type feel that the books (and Mark Rein-Hagen's art) felt.

I'd love to see a Wraith videogame presented like that, or any Mage game tbh.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The horror stories from that development cycle should be used as a prime example of how not to run your business as a developer and having pretentious asshats in your management structure. If I remember correctly they had a CCP podcast recently that addressed a question about the WoD license and what was happening and they CCP guys on the podcast just began laughing and said it would just collect dust till someone wanted to do something with it. Jesus fuck that company.
Again, the IP itself wasn't rotting away. A lot of great books have been published since Onyx Path got up to speed. As far as games go, White Wolf properties have had a decidedly checkered history even before CCP became involved. It just so happens that hiring tabletop game designers and retraining them as video game developers didn't work out very well (plenty of people transitioned into production or content roles they weren't suited for). Combine that with CCP fucking the dog on EVE Online's in-person expansion plus some major public relations gaffes, and it was a recipe for disaster.

iannis

Musty Nester
Hopefully they can get some of the Funcom guys. I've been playing Secret World a bit and I have to say it really IS good.

It's just a single player mmo. And their engine is kinda terrible. But hey, the writing is good.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looks like Avellone and Mitsoda are throwing some tweets about wanting to get on board with paradox with the new Whitewolf license. Still kinda flabbergasted that something might come from this, now we just need a new Arcanum as well.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Hopefully they can get some of the Funcom guys. I've been playing Secret World a bit and I have to say it really IS good.

It's just a single player mmo. And their engine is kinda terrible. But hey, the writing is good.
Yeah, Secret World has ambiance, setting, and story down like a motherfucker. It just kinda sucks at the whole MMORPG part.

Caliane

I wouldn't go that far.

I would say, Good art, etc, but flawed mmorpg design, and implementation, and monetization.
It was a puzzle based mmo, launched with a sub fee in a dead market. Puzzles themselves then I don't feel were particularly well designed. Even after looking up answers, I did not feel like they were clever or solvable, without outside knowledge or just plain looking shit up online.

Sulrn

Deuces
Would love to see a modern V:TM-esque game come out.

The quota for vampire sex and manipulation hasn't been filled in a long time.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I'm guessing you played Troika's bloodlines right? A user mod eventually patched the game into working (because it didn't) and it's easily one of best RPGs out of the Troika.