Why all the nerd rage against Vanguard

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Miele said:
Some wow players I knew were so annoyed by the general chat in VG that they made an oath to play anything but that game (probably exagerating, but well...).
One of my biggest pet peeves. People who bitch about chat channels when it"s in their power to turn them off. If they disliked general chat so much turn it fucking off.

I, myself like the general chats and such because when you start out new and your friends don"t want to play the game you want to play. It gets pretty boring to not having someone to chat with and General chat takes care of that problem.

Gaereth_foh

shitlord
General chats, ooc and the like got turned off in "99 in EQ and get turned off in all other games as well. If I want to listen to idiots I can find an unending supply everywhere I look it seems, so when I get a chance to shut them the hell off I take it immediately.

I play these games to be with a group of people that I actually like to be with...the rest of them can piss off.

Kraks_foh

shitlord
We also included features that appeal to more casual players and players with different tastes.We have a robust and fun crafting and harvesting system.We have diplomacy which is enjoyable and is done soloing. We put in housing and the ability to own mounts and ships because we wanted to get the UO/SWG player to enjoy the game as well, and not just the EQ 1 player. But again, getting that message out to those who didn"t frequent our official boards before release has been a challenge.
Brad, you have by far the worst crafting system since EQ1. It requires 0 skill whatsoever, just a bunch of luck whether or not you run into 5 complications in a row at the end of a crafting session.

I would challenge you and the rest of Vanguard"s development team to actually come up with something creative, instead of a reverse EQ2 crafting clone. What you have in place is horrid, no fun whatsoever, and if it didn"t benefit my guild, I never would have started in the first place.

As for harvesting, its been done almost that exact same way before. Wait, you added harvesting groups! Who cares when the amount of nodes are so paltry that it costs more to buy the components than to buy the weapon itself. Component pieces should always be cheaper and more readily available than the end product, instead you have the opposite. I"d suggest doubling the amount of nodes, get rid of the rare/luck portion all together, and make the CRAFTING part the actual time consuming and challenging aspect of the system, not the complete luck of the draw whether you find the resources you need or not. If even 2 people are harvesting in the same "chunk" as one another, they will often find it very hard to continuously reap anything at all.

We also need better LFG tools so that people can find groups. We were over-worried that the newbie areas would be over crowded and now we face some under population as people level up and spread out over the large world that is Telon. That is why we are working on making the LFG tools better, looking into adding some overland teleportation, etc. Under population is actually worse than over population because it can be difficult to find people to play with and this hurts community building."
I thought the basis of your not instancing things was because transportation would be a problem, but now you are looking at ways to negate even that? How will this not turn into EQ1 all over again with 1 guild dominating an entire tier until the next expansion is released? If they can easily get anywhere, they can easily dominate a server. EQ1 was huge by PoP and it was still 1 guild that typically owned all of the spawns on each server.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Vanguard may suck, but the circle-jerk of VG haters is comedy gold. When do we get to the part where Hiram and Twobit grease up and roll around on the ground, fingering each others assholes?

woqqqa_foh

shitlord
Soygen said:
Vanguard may suck, but the circle-jerk of VG haters is comedy gold. When do we get to the part where Hiram and Twobit grease up and roll around on the ground, fingering each others assholes?
Saving that for sweeps week.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Soygen said:
Why do you think they don"t have any posts yet on this page of the thread?

I got bored with Vanguard myself fairly quickly, but I still think they"re a collection of losers.

Twobit_sl

shitlord
It"s funny though. The thread was fairly civil up until now. Critical? Sure, but at least it was civil... and leave it to some douchenozzle to come in and start talking about greased up dudes fingering assholes. Next time you want to drop the "forums turning to shit" card, you can look at posts like yours and understand why.

Actually, I take that douchenozzle bit back, at least those have a fucking point.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Vanguard bashers lost the right to "civility" the moment the party line became "WE DON"T CARE IF YOU"VE HEARD EVERYTHING WE SAY TEN MILLION TIMES, WE"RE SAYING IT ANYWAY BECAUSE YOU CAN"T SILENCE US AND WE HAVE NOTES".

But seriously, if you"re going to get all up in arms over a relatively mild gay joke on the internet, you"re not going to like 99% of message boards.

Perhaps you should go here:
Hello Kitty Online Community

Tell a different audience how much Vanguard sucks.

Slick Willey_foh

shitlord
Twobit Whore said:
Next time you want to drop the "forums turning to shit" card, you can look at posts like yours and understand why.
I actually can"t remember the last time Duppin actually wrote something constructive. Usually, he was always stalking Ut and just insulting him.

keflex_foh

shitlord
Slick Willey said:
I actually can"t remember the last time Duppin actually wrote something constructive. Usually, he was always stalking Ut and just insulting him.
Perhaps they are 2 halves of the same coin/mind...

What an exciting twist!

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Shit, you found me out! This strategy was all laid out in my notes!

You can turn this back on me if you want, but all that I ever wanted was for people to stop saying the same tired shit over and over again and being psychostalker about it when they did, so that people could actually talk about Vanguard if they felt like it.

But yeah, fuck Duppin because I can go hunt through his post history and pull out a few flames.

Neric_foh

shitlord
We also need better LFG tools so that people can find groups. We were over-worried that the newbie areas would be over crowded and now we face some under population as people level up and spread out over the large world that is Telon. That is why we are working on making the LFG tools better, looking into adding some overland teleportation, etc. Under population is actually worse than over population because it can be difficult to find people to play with and this hurts community building."
Brad, I got a solution for you and because today is Saturday, I"ll make it absolutely free:

Introduce a chat channel named "/overland only call" or simply /ooc. It may sound pretty advanced, but in a nutshell it is nothing but a chatchannel that allows people to communicate with each other and form groups. Rumors are that this concept has been extremely effective in the past.

Communication, you may ask, why that? Well, people chose MMOs over single player games because they like to communicate with others and all of these fantasy MMOs are nothing but huge chatrooms with monsters after all

Camerous

Molten Core Raider
Good try Neric but that"s already in the game and just like every other game in the world it only works for the area you are in. Good try on being funny though. Better luck next time.

Stevon_foh

shitlord
Aradune Mithara said:
Well said and a great question and certainly one we think about. I think there are misconceptions out there about the game and our intent. Our heritage making EQ 1 makes it so a lot of people automatically assume the game is only for the hardcore. I posted here and elsewhere (on other boards and our own message boards) for months before release talking about how the game is for casual, core, and hardcore players and our belief they can all co-exist in the same game. Unfortunately, a lot of people didn"t read those posts and assume Vanguard is more hard core because EQ 1 was. I think I failed in reaching out to a lot of people and spreading the word that this game is NOT hard core like the original EQ 1. I probably spent more time talking about the game to those already interested in it than reaching out to those who were not. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20.

A lot of people wanted a new game that was like EQ 1 up to the Velious period and I and others described Vanguard thusly. The good part of that is we got those people excited about the game. The bad part was that people who didn"t follow the game as closely didn"t hear the complete message, that being that the game also has lots of content for casual and core gamers -- it was like when I posted, I was just preaching to the choir. People who didn"t follow the message boards and only heard that Vanguard was made by the original EQ guys made assumptions that Vanguard would be just like EQ and require tons of time to play, that you had to raid, that you had to group constantly, etc.

Like I said, that message resonated with a lot of people in a positive way, but it also did harm in that those people who don"t want another EQ 1 were turned off when they heard about Vanguard but not all of the details behind the game. There were and are also a lot of "Vanbois" who spread the word that this game was not for WoW players and that people who like a more casual game like WoW were not welcome in Vanguard. In that sense, the messaging backfired and many people aren"t even giving the game a chance.

I think we could have reached out to those people on other boards in a better way and made sure people knew that casual gamers are indeed welcome in Vanguard. I also think that after level 12ish people are feeling that they have to group, and that is something we need to address. We also need better LFG tools so that people can find groups. We were over-worried that the newbie areas would be over crowded and now we face some under population as people level up and spread out over the large world that is Telon. That is why we are working on making the LFG tools better, looking into adding some overland teleportation, etc. Under population is actually worse than over population because it can be difficult to find people to play with and this hurts community building.

We also need to change our messaging in ads, both online and in print, and attempt to dispel the assumption some people are making that Vanguard is only hardcore. In reality we very much understand that the gamespace has grown and evolved. People who had a lot of time on their hands and played a ton of EQ have grown up, got jobs, families, etc. Even those who played EQ a ton of hours and had a blast for years playing that game now are in situations where while they had fun with EQ want a different game that requires less overall time invested and especially less amounts of contiguous time and the ability to play more casually. Like I said, I think we need to make some changes to the game (nothing fundamental, but some tweaks here and there), but the even bigger problem is that many people aren"t even trying the game out because they"ve already made up their minds that Vanguard = EQ 1.

Some of this will be addressed through viral marketing. As those who are playing the game enjoy Vanguard, they will tell their friends that this game is not as hard core and nearly as tedious as EQ 1. This will help, but I also think we need to be more proactive in spreading the word about what Vanguard is really like. Heck, even people who are giving the game a chance have misconceptions. I was grouped around level 10 and we got into a situation where we were in the floating cities above Jalen"s Crossing and died a few times and just couldn"t get back to our corpses to do a CR. We ending up dying several times. I said forget it, and went to the altar and just summoned my corpse to me (something you could NOT do in EQ 1). I advised the others in my pick-up group to do the same and they didn"t know you could do that! They thought you HAD to CR, just like EQ 1. Man, that was an eye-opener. I think there are people who truly believe you either have to CR or that the penalties for summoning your corpse to the altar are so bad that you never want to do it. And it some cases, at higher levels, and depending on what mob you die to, the penalties *are* too severe, and we need to make some changes. But just as importantly, perhaps even more importantly, we need to get the word out that you don"t have to CR in the vast majority of cases, and that also in the vast majority of cases summoning your corpse to the altar where you pop up when you die does NOT include a heinous penalty; rather, that"s why we put that functionality in there. Having to CR in Vanguard is the exception, not the rule -- only in fighting extremely difficult mobs where you and your party knowingly accept the risk vs. reward of fighting specific boss mobs likely in the depths of dungeons do you take the risk of having to CR (or get your corpse dragged out) assuming you totally wipe and don"t have someone who survives on hand to resurrect you. And I think that"s just one powerful example of false assumptions that are being made about the game, either by people playing it (who may get frustrated when they actually don"t have to) or by people who have heard about the game and figure, again, that it"s hardcore and an old school MMOG with updated graphics. Ah! This is frustrating, but we will get the message out.

No, we"re not talking about changing the game to be a lot more similar to WoW. We"re not trying to make a WoW clone. The game is more challenging, and it does take longer to level up, but not a lot longer really -- we"ve timed it. And the additional challenge is optional -- you don"t have to play Vanguard the way you had to play earlier MMOGs unless you want to. So as long as we can make leveling up less tedious, make sure there are ways to advance even if you only have a little time that day to play, etc. I think we"ll be in good shape.

There are a lot of emotions out there. Strong ones. You have people, like I mentioned, that while they enjoyed EQ 1 back in the day, want a game that has the good parts of EQ 1 but not the tedious nature of it, or the necessity to play crazy hours, or to raid constantly. Those people I think, or at least most of them, will enjoy Vanguard if they give it a chance. But first we need to penetrate these assumptions and perceptions.

Then there"s the whole WoW vs Vanguard issue where many people think that if they enjoy WoW they won"t like Vanguard or vice versa. This is in part again to those pre-conceptions, but also our fan base has contributed to this stereotype. (sorry Vanguard fans, I don"t mean to generalize here, but there has been a negative vibe, a polarizing vibe, even with me and others posting that this game is inclusive not exclusive).

Then there"s the issue that Vanguard is a different game and won"t appeal to everyone. Some people like that, and some people don"t. It was always our desire to make a game where casual, core, and hard core players could co-exist and you can certainly solo or play casually in Vanguard and have a great time. But then there are also people who simply don"t want to group. We need to make sure as many of those people can and will still have fun in Vanguard. Again, the game isn"t designed to appeal to everyone and some casual players won"t like Vanguard no matter what. And that"s ok -- we didn"t set out to make a game that is all things to all people. But I think quite a few people who have inaccurate preconceptions about the game actually will enjoy the game if they give it a chance. In fact, I know quite a few. The challenge is to get them to try it.

Then there are some of the controversial aspects of Vanguard -- a huge world with hopefully meaningful travel, no instancing, etc. When some people hear about these aspects of Vanguard that seem "retro" they automatically assume the game isn"t for them, that it"s old school and that we decided to ignore modern MMOGs and were stuck blindly in the past when designing this game. We need to reach out to those people and explain where we embraced modern MMOG ideas and concepts but also why we chose to build on "older" foundations, not because we"re stubbornly set in our ways, but more so because Vanguard needs to be something different, and a combination of new, revolutionary ideas combined with an evolutionary and proven foundation. And the "vision" can and does change and learn -- as we"ve mentioned, we are seriously considering some overland teleportation to take some of the tediousness out of travel. We can and will adapt, and we can do so without making a game that is a clone of another game -- the MMOG gamespace is certainly large and mature enough to support games with their own identity and also large enough where people deserve choices. So overall I think a lot of people will end up enjoying the game once they give it a chance.

In a sense the more controversial aspects of Vanguard have been a blessing and a curse. The game is selling very well, but it could do even better if we could get this message out, that more casual people can and are enjoying the game -- that soloing or playing in small groups is a viable and fun way to play the game. Yes, you can get more rewards out of grouping and Vanguard is a game mostly targeted at the core gamer who enjoys grouping. But again, that"s not mutually exclusive with casual gamers having fun too.

We also included features that appeal to more casual players and players with different tastes. We have a robust and fun crafting and harvesting system. We have diplomacy which is enjoyable and is done soloing. We put in housing and the ability to own mounts and ships because we wanted to get the UO/SWG player to enjoy the game as well, and not just the EQ 1 player. But again, getting that message out to those who didn"t frequent our official boards before release has been a challenge.

We made it clear how Vanguard differs from other more modern MMOGs. I think this has had both positive and negative effects. It attracted many people who wanted a modern MMOG that is still built on the tried and true foundation of older MMOGs and MUDs. But then it also created controversy and assumptions that Vanguard was just another EQ 1 with updated graphics. In reality, while the game does build on the past, it"s also different and takes into account that the gamespace has evolved and that many players don"t want a total re-hash of the past. So again, this appealed to those who followed the game closely before launch, but at the same time created misconceptions amongst those who didn"t follow the game as closely.

Sometimes controversy is good, and sometimes it"s bad. Again, I think better messaging and viral marketing will help here. But to answer your question, I think that"s why there"s been such polarizing opinions out there -- the Vanguard lovers and haters. EQ 1 created so many emotions, both positive and negative. In fact, I don"t know if there"s been another game where people have become so emotional both while playing and after they"d finished playing. I still run into people and when they find out my involvement with EQ I tense up a little bit, not knowing if they"ll get all excited and tell me about all the great times they had, all the people they met and are still friends with, or how they met their spouse in-game, thanking me profusely for producing the game... or if they"ll look at me in a not so friendly way and make sure I know how they dropped out of college, or how the game, in their opinion, caused friction between them and their loved ones, etc. So we need to reach out to the "haters" because I know a lot of them would love Vanguard if they gave it a chance -- Vanguard is truly a game where we learned from the past and we know people have changed. I know people who were burned out years ago with EQ 1 style games but who love Vanguard, so I know this is doable. It"s just easier said than done.

Then there"s the issue of us releasing a bit early because of us having to release when we did due to financial issues. And then there"s the fact that we released so close to the WoW expansion. That didn"t help either, at least short term. I am confident though that as people finish up with the expansion, that many WoW gamers will migrate to Vanguard. People want something new in their lives, and that includes MMOGs. WoW is a fantastic game, but Vanguard is designed with additional polish but also additional depth and freedom to experience more from a virtual world.

So while the game continues to sell well and churn is low, I think we could have done even better had we more effectively addressed what you mentioned and what I talked about above. I"m not worried -- I know Vanguard is a great game and getting better every patch. But at the same time, I"m not as happy as I could be about the negativity and controversy surrounding the game, when we launched the game, etc. We will recover and get the message out, of that I am certain. And in a sense, we did know some of this would happen -- again, there are those drawn to Vanguard because of our EQ heritage, but we also knew that there would be those who would be turned off by that same heritage. The answer is like I said to get better messaging out there, to reach out to those people, to have those who did buy the game and who are enjoying it spread the word to the more cautious or cynical MMOG gamers.

I think we have three groups of people we want to target with this game.

1. People who look back at EQ fondly and want a new game that is built on the foundation and heritage we have. Those people are primarily the ones buying the game and playing it like crazy.

2. People who look back at EQ and either never enjoyed it or enjoyed it immensely but whose lives have changed and don"t want to play an updated EQ 1. I think a great number of those people can be reached and will end up playing the game and enjoying it. We learned a lot over the years, from our triumphs and mistakes. Challenge doesn"t have to equal tedium. Advancement doesn"t have to mean tons of contiguous hours played, families and jobs ignored, etc. Some people within this group are simply done with games like Vanguard period, but I think a lot of them aren"t and won"t be when they find out that Vanguard is different than EQ 1 in the ways that are no longer compatible with their lifestyle. I also think the more UO-esque elements of Vanguard that were not present in EQ 1 will help make the game more appealing to old school MMOG players who were more interested in a broad rather than deep game. There is a lot more to do in Vanguard than there ever was to do in EQ 1 -- a lot more sandbox, broad, etc. activities like building houses, sailing ships, etc. And when we get full city building in, players will be able to run vendors, enjoy an RTS element, and much more. Lastly in this group are the PvPers and I think as we continue to make our PvP servers better and more varied that more PvP players will be attracted to the game.

3. New gamers or gamers for whom WoW was their first MMOG. Reaching out to them is also a challenge. Many still enjoy WoW, which is fine, and especially are enjoying it now that Burning Crusade is out. As I"ve posted for months, perhaps years, I am confident that some percentage of WoW players will end up looking for a deeper game like Vanguard, where there is a lot more to do and experience. And as I"ve posted in the past, it doesn"t have to be a huge percentage of WoW players for us to reach 500,000+ subscribers in the first year or so. But, of course, launching so close to the WoW expansion hurt us in this area short term. But they will come

Lastly, there"s the art style, being more like EQ 2, using more modern technology -- shaders, bump mapping, specularity, etc. Some people when they look at screenshots of Vanguard assume it is a game much more like EQ 2 than WoW. Here again I am confident that our decision to use newer technology will allow us to keep the game current for years to come. But in the short term, people who stayed with EQ 1 or moved to WoW because they didn"t like the looks of EQ 2, or are having performance issues, or who assume Vanguard plays just like EQ 2 -- these people need to be reached as well, because Vanguard is its own game and plays differently and is not an EQ 2 clone any more than it is a WoW clone -- it"s a different experience and will become even more so as the game continues to evolve. People will be buying better machines, and we will continue to optimize, and as other games (not just MMOGs) come out that use newer technology (FPS games, etc.), people won"t assume as much that Vanguard = EQ 2 just because they use similar tech; rather they"ll simply see a modern game with an incredibly immersive world and setting.

So, anyway, that"s what I think. We have some hurdles to over come, but I"m confident we can and are overcoming them. The word is getting out. The game is controversial. Our heritage in being involved with EQ 1 is controversial -- a blessing and a curse. But as more and more positive reviews of the game come out, as we continue to optimize and fix bugs, as we continue to add polish, and as people who are playing and enjoying the game tell their friends about it, the game will grow and become that much more popular. It"s hard to compete in the gamespace now with WoW being such a giant. But then it can also be very advantageous to offer an alternative to the "mainstream". Look at DAoC back in the EQ days -- that game was never as popular as EQ, but was still a great game and found a solid niche and did very well. And now they"ve been bought by EA and have some tremendous opportunities ahead of them. I think the same is true for Vanguard -- the Vanguard lovers will mellow and enjoy the game and spread the word, and the Vanguard haters will relax and the more they hear about the game and that it"s not more of the same, or too retro, or too hard core, they"ll give the game a chance too.

In the meantime we"ll continue to make the game better, fix bugs, make tweaks, add some very cool features. And we"ll make sure people know that you don"t have to grind unless you want to, that you can play casually, that you have multiple advancement paths and don"t have to fight all of the time. We"ll make sure people know that you don"t have to CR -- that you can summon your corpse at the altar. We"ll make sure that skipping CRs isn"t as painful as it is. We"ll add some teleporters. We"ll make sure that while grouping remains the focus, that we make better LFG and even matchmaking functionality. The word about how fun harvesting and crafting is will spread. The newness of diplomacy where you don"t have to fight to advance, where you can find out the lore and storyline without having to hack and slash all of the time will get out there -- there"s already been some very positive reviews where people are very excited about this third sphere of gameplay. The community will grow. The controversy and love-hate feelings will subside and having more options when it comes to MMOGs will appeal to more and more people. After all, people like choices.

Anyway, those are my thoughts as to "why they rage", the controversy, and all the emotions surrounding this game. Thanks for listening

*bow*
Want to know the reason for the rage? We paid for the game AND we had hope that Vanguard might actually be something special, especially after all the hype and visionspeak and undelivered promises. People don"t like having their dreams shattered and their 50 bucks wasted.

Aside from that, sorry to break it to you but there is nothing appealing to the casual player in Vanguard and I find it extremely hard to believe that you think so yourself. If you truely believe you"ve designed a game with a "journey" that appeals to casuals then you really truely do not understand that market at all.

Additionally you can blame the forums and "bad hype" all you want but you know, as does everyone else, that the bad hype is the fault of the product, not the customer. There was no "campaign" out there to sabotage this game, the game did it to itself.

You need to come to grips with these things if you will have a chance to recover from this failed launch and regain those of us who paid for the game but have left in utter frustration and dissapointment.

Btw I"d suggest less novel writing when you post.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
So far I only read half that book that was written, but are you kidding me? It"s exactly like EQ"s early days, up to a certain level only certain classes can solo efficiently, grouping is by far the best way to get experience and it requires a lot of time to level. I don"t think there was a misconception at all. Outside of Lineage II maybe I can"t think of a more hardcore game, there"s even 3 penalties in death. The game feels like it was made for a hardcore gamer every single time I play it. In WoW if I log on I normally don"t even LFG, I fly to where I want to exp and grind it out on my own; in VG I normally sit LFG for an hour or so shooting the shit with people lately (been too lazy to "form" a group lately admittedly) and then end up logging off. EVENTRAVELINGis hardcore is in this game, really are we talking about the same game here? So far the game may be the best "looking" out on the market (ignoring unibody), but nothing really feels new about it yet. Tsangs and KE are empty open spaces for the most part with a buggy elevator here or there and basically the same models the whole thing. I think there are like 3 different models used in all of Tsangs, Coterie is basically the same model in a different outfit or hovering above the ground; though I have seen some cool ss"s of other places so I won"t use that against you since the world is massive (and empty) and i probably can"t fairly criticize that. The game just doesn"t have anything new to it I really feel, the monk class essentially feels like the rogue class in wow (instead of points earn up jin to use eviscerate... errr ashen hand). You guys are even nerfing on what seems like a weekly basis now, so its even less casual the more and more time goes on, really I don"t get the write up at all

Kraks_foh

shitlord
I hate to come back, but Brad, you pissed me off.

Are you really blind man? The Crafting and Harvesting systems FUN?!?! What crack are you smoking man? The crafting system is horrid.

That utter slap in the face was all I needed. Cancelled and deleted. You"ll be receiving my customer complaint through the BBB this week.

I know you cannot be honest with us, but please, try to be honest to yourself and your devs. Those two aspects of the game blow immensely.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Kraks said:
You"ll be receiving my customer complaint through the BBB this week.
What, exactly, do you plan on complaining to the BBB about?

Not that it really matters, but I"m curious.