Why Today's Movies Suck

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
i agree it's long, but you can watch what you can and come back later and youtube will restart the video where you left off. try it some time. and he does give examples, just not every one. what part did you need an example of?

Well, about length.. I was just saying that it got a bit boring. A guy sitting there talking at the camera for an hour doesn't make for a great video. Especially when the video is about movies and could easily contain clips from the movies he's talking about. Show, don't tell.

"sometimes not give any actual example" is what I said. It seem better to give examples to all his points to help the audience. Maybe someone hadn't seen a movie or scene he was referencing. Show, don't tell.

Two points-
1. He did say that he wasn't trying to convert anyone, just preaching to the choir. So I can understand why he might not feel the need to put more work into this video.
2. I'm just thinking about how much better the video could have been, and comparing it to all the other videos that discuss the same topic.
3 (bonus point). It doesn't matter.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well, about length.. I was just saying that it got a bit boring. A guy sitting there talking at the camera for an hour doesn't make for a great video. Especially when the video is about movies and could easily contain clips from the movies he's talking about. Show, don't tell.

"sometimes not give any actual example" is what I said. It seem better to give examples to all his points to help the audience. Maybe someone hadn't seen a movie or scene he was referencing. Show, don't tell.

Two points-
1. He did say that he wasn't trying to convert anyone, just preaching to the choir. So I can understand why he might not feel the need to put more work into this video.
2. I'm just thinking about how much better the video could have been, and comparing it to all the other videos that discuss the same topic.
3 (bonus point). It doesn't matter.
uh, ok

spronk

FPS noob
movies also show a lot less nicer titties and ass, that went a long ways to 80s and 90s action movies being good

also its weird there is no iconic action star anymore who is in his 20s or 30s. I grew up with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Van-Damme, and Steven Seagull. Kids nowadays have got what... JLaw, Tom Hardy and ummm I guess Chris Pratt and maybe The Rock? They all do way different movies each time though and very inconsistent.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
While I do agree that movies overall seem worse quality recently than in the past we're living through the best years of television at the moment. I think all the good writers just moved over to TV since that is more a writer's platform.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
movies also show a lot less nicer titties and ass, that went a long ways to 80s and 90s action movies being good

also its weird there is no iconic action star anymore who is in his 20s or 30s. I grew up with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Van-Damme, and Steven Seagull. Kids nowadays have got what... JLaw, Tom Hardy and ummm I guess Chris Pratt and maybe The Rock? They all do way different movies each time though and very inconsistent.
movie trailers used to hype up the actors as much as they did the title. sometimes more than the title. when Jack Nicholson played Joker in 1989 Batman, you would of thought the whole movie was about him. i guess it sort of was.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I haven't watched Batman in forever. Those practical effects are hilariously bad.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i think that was tim burton being retro. the worst was the bat plane crashing into the church. they didnt even use good models, literally looked like some kid threw his toys across the room and it was filmed in slow motion.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That trailer is so bland and confusing.
The producers thought "meh...just make some shit. It's Batman so everyone will want to see regardless of how the trailer looks"

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I didn't listen to the video but I read an interesting article about the stifling of creativity. It was primarily stating that no one is left with opportunities to imagine and that boredom is sorely missed. Children do not sit in the back seat of a car, look out into the world, and imagine. People do not sit in parks or look out over the cityscapes and dream. I guess it was blaming devices dominating every second of idle time and not allowing our minds to create and imagine. Not saying I agree or disagree but I wonder how much of that is true and if we are actually creating less original and/or unique ideas? Honestly, it just sounds like the same old argument one generation makes about the other with a different face.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
6f2.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They don't suck. You're old. Welcome to life.

Of course they suck. Most movies suck. He talks about Taxi Driver in the video. This is the Wikipedia entry for the films of 1976 -

1976 in film - Wikipedia

I can't recognize any of this shit and I'm old. The second highest grossing film of the year is a documentary about the history of flight. All you can really say is that films suck differently today than they used to suck in decades past.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Shitty movies have existed as long as movies have been around and they're not going anywhere. For every 10 movies that come out 9 are turds. They're not getting better nor are they getting worse and during each generational gap each generation is going to remember the ones that came out in their decade(s) of development more fondly. Eventually all those turds are forgotten and a handful of movies are remembered because they were actually good. The same shit has been said for books/music/theater/video games and pretty much every medium under the sun.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Of course they suck. Most movies suck. He talks about Taxi Driver in the video. This is the Wikipedia entry for the films of 1976 -

1976 in film - Wikipedia

I can't recognize any of this shit and I'm old. The second highest grossing film of the year is a documentary about the history of flight. All you can really say is that films suck differently today than they used to suck in decades past.
i assume you were being sarcastic, right?
you dont recognize Rocky? Silver Streak with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor? The Omen? The Enforcer with Dirty Harry? All The President's Men?

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
i assume you were being sarcastic, right?
you dont recognize Rocky? Silver Streak with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor? The Omen? The Enforcer with Dirty Harry? All The President's Men?

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being hyperbolic.

Most films in any given year either suck or are forgettable. Look at how many movies came out in that year. I doubt you even recognize the title of more than one in twenty.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Let's look at a couple other gems from the magical year of 1976

do you really want to go there?
also 1976
Assault on Precinct 13
Car Wash
Bad News Bears
Bugsy Malone
Carrie
Gumball Rally
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Murder By Death
Network
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Silent Movie
The Bingo Long Travelling All Stars and Motor Kings
Gator

those are all movies from that year that are classics.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being hyperbolic.

Most films in any given year either suck or are forgettable. Look at how many movies came out in that year. I doubt you even recognize the title of more than one in twenty.
you need to watch more movies, dude. this is bad.