Why Today's Movies Suck

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I like when Lithose presented that last and Chuk hadn't seen most of them and was still okay declaring it a shitty year. You really don't think your experiences and time have biased you at all? Or even just the fact you're probably not watching as many new movies as you once did?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I like when Lithose presented that last and Chuk hadn't seen most of them and was still okay declaring it a shitty year. You really don't think your experiences and time have biased you at all? Or even just the fact you're probably not watching as many new movies as you once did?
Honestly when he called Doctor Strange a classic film I figured he was trolling with shit movies..
http://archive.is/Cyib9

Hollywood will cap its terrible summer box office with worst Labor Day weekend in 30 years

By now you’ve probably heard the one about the worst summer in Hollywood in more than a decade. The 2017 summer box office, likely better off forgotten, has been inconceivably poor. Adding insult to injury, it’s set to end this weekend with possibly the worst Labor Day weekend in 30 years.
The 18-week summer movie season — the first weekend in May through Labor Day weekend — is down more than 14% compared with the last two years. This will all but certainly be the first time in a decade that the summer season didn’t break $4 billion at the box office.
Don’t miss: This is Hollywood’s worst summer at the box office in more than a decade
That’s significant for a season typically reserved for Hollywood studio’s biggest blockbusters, not to mention a season that represents roughly 40% of Hollywood’s overall revenue.
This weekend, for the first time since 1992, there’s not a single major wide release opening in theaters.
“This is actually a very fitting end to what has been an appalling summer,” said comScore media analyst Paul Dergarabedian.

Last edited:

Ostrich Voxx

<Banned>
There have always been terrible movies heck Doug Walker stated that 1996 to 2001 were the dark ages of movies

Though I will agree that we've been getting a LOT of terrible movies this decade with a lot of people especially on 4chan proclaiming this to be the worst Decade For movies and I don't blame them, though I would say the 80s were worse.

• 1Dislike

Szlia

This topic is pretty dumb, because "movies" is used as a shorthand for "Hollywood blockbusters" and "worse" is determined by a mix of criteria that are on different scales. The only way to not find dozens of good or great movies to see in any given year, is to be very very specific and really not curious.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This topic is pretty dumb, because "movies" is used as a shorthand for "Hollywood blockbusters" and "worse" is determined by a mix of criteria that are on different scales. The only way to not find dozens of good or great movies to see in any given year, is to be very very specific and really not curious.

I rarely agree with Szlia on movies but spot on. Lithose already described why these movies hit the sweet spot(your personal memories), the huge increase in films released(obviously will increase level of shit), and how even the classics had terrible parts. I can't believe I'm seeing a weak summer schedule being used as 'proof' when there are more distractions available, blockbusters release all year now, and one small sample(one summer) means very little as statistical analysis.

There is no better time to be watching movies or TV. The selection is unparalleled , the quality of effects are far superior, and someone, somewhere is telling a great story if you actually look for it. Is this the grumpy old dude thread?

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
We are in a culturally stagnant period right now, modern music it where it is most apparent

Music has overwhelmingly become the vehicle to sell the new perfume/shoe/headphone line or it just lacks vibrancy and passion. My kids who are in the 11-15 range would rather listen to my music (misfits, metallica, linkin park, ST, SoaD, Slipknot, NIN, GnR) than anything new with a very limited number of exceptions. (Couple of imagine Dragons songs or Cage the Elephant)

Some will find things they like, obviously. Some people like me think that PC and SJW created a generation of intellectually and imaginationally limited assholes that are too busy trying to send a message or represent something to actually tell a good story or make an entertaining product.

Others will love everything they see.

My opinion is that shit has been too phony, fake, and pretentious. I am also not above flat out saying "I have gotten old". I feel the same way about video games. Funk and slump time for me, however I only partially blame a soulless entertainment industry and accept most of it being "just me".

• 1EyeRoll

Cybsled

This thread is a bunch of people being their parents/grandparents without realizing it

"damn kids with their devil music and videogames!!!"

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I see maybe five movies a year. I used to be way into them. It was a weekly outing for me. But I think a lot of the talent has moved to TV. Your best writers want to write stories that take longer than two hours to tell.

Fadaar

That guy
Television however is lightyears better right now than it's ever been. I'm including streaming services in that as well.