Wii U

Inque

FunEmployed
Every customer I've spoken to about purchasing a Wii U already owns a Wii and regurgitate the same concern: is this a worthwhile investment over their existing Wii? There's a lot of potential with the Wii U but storage size, game library and cost are restrictive for a system that's looking to be a longterm success. I'd wait until the inevitable price drop (and/or Wii U 2.0 now with better battery and storage, you know its coming).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
one of my favorite web guys is Ashens. he reviews all kinds of stuff, is very funny and will often give great insight on what people can expect.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I don't know why Nintendo even bothers releasing new consoles. The endless Mario, Metroid and Zelda rehashes would be just as good on the classic NES.

But then again, we did get Goldeneye/Smash Bros out of the gamecube I guess.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know why Nintendo even bothers releasing new consoles. The endless Mario, Metroid and Zelda rehashes would be just as good on the classic NES.

But then again, we did get Goldeneye/Smash Bros out of the gamecube I guess.
Do you mean N64?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Every customer I've spoken to about purchasing a Wii U already owns a Wii and regurgitate the same concern: is this a worthwhile investment over their existing Wii? There's a lot of potential with the Wii U but storage size, game library and cost are restrictive for a system that's looking to be a longterm success. I'd wait until the inevitable price drop (and/or Wii U 2.0 now with better battery and storage, you know its coming).
They aren't going to add more storage. You can add any external HDD you want for cheap, or have lying around - adding storage to the console would just make it bigger and more expensive.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've really only been playing old Wii games that I never got to finish. I've enjoyed the last story, but god I wish it was harder. Had the same issue with Xenoblade Chronicles. I did buy Ninja Gaiden for the Wii U but it's had some class A bugs pop up on me a few times that stopped me from progressing. It's a real fucking pain when you get past a really hard part and then suddenly just can't progress because some mobs that set off a trigger don't spawn. I should have bought Arkham City, seeing as how it's the best version and i've yet to play any version. Yeah, I know.

Gotta say, though: the Wii Virtual Console is a joke. The fact that it downgrades back to low-def is obnoxious. Some of the game I've tried from the Wii even had to be letter-boxed.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
How is the system, overall? I don't really have space for another box by the tv, so it would be replacing the Wii.
The controller is nice. It's suprisingly light, though it may be a bit superfluous. The functionality offers a lot of potential in the future, unlike the Wiimote. The game aren't really in my vein yet, but there are a lot of mainstream launch titles. The Wii virtual console is pretty bad at the moment. The loading times for the Wii U are a little off too, considering this is supposed to be a next gen console. If you buy it, definitely hold out for the deluxe. I would say it's definitely got potential, and worth buying if you're the kind of guy who always buys system exclusives. I have to imagine that the next Zelda and/or Metroid will be great, because they always are.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
They released a patch last week that sped up the loading times on going between apps/home menu, but exiting a game is still pretty slow (as in 15-20 seconds).

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Anyone else having a small freezing/pausing issue when you are playing NSMBU in multiplayer when someone dies?
Not sure if this it suspose to happen or not.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty sure I'll end up getting this. Ever since my 4 year old played Mario Kart at a friends he's been into it. I suppose I could just get the old Wii. Hmm.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
if you have the money, get the wiiu, then get the wii games@ discount pricing that way you can play all the Wii games & the future WiiU games. it is a press of a icon/tile to switch to wiimode and..from reports on neogaf the wiiu WILL up the 480p resolution to 1080p(honestly i have not played it in wii mode yet so cannot confirm this) so it will look "better" on a modern TV.

as for the OS speed, Iwata said there is a patch coming to speed the OS functionality even more "soon"

by the way,

TVii is being turned on Today. Tivo(DVR) & Netflix integration in Tvii is not active as of yet, that is coming - January for Tivo &

netflix "early 2013" while Hulu+ and Amazon video integration into TVii is on as of today.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
if you are interested in getting Trine 2,

its on sale for 16 dollars now until jan 7th as well

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
Though I am currently stationed overseas, I went into the base exchange today and they had a ton of the deluxe models on the shelf. I think this is the first Nintendo console release I can remember that is still not sold out this close to Christmas. I would love to have one to play the new Mario game, but I am not going to spend $350-400 to do it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Though I am currently stationed overseas, I went into the base exchange today and they had a ton of the deluxe models on the shelf. I think this is the first Nintendo console release I can remember that is still not sold out this close to Christmas. I would love to have one to play the new Mario game, but I am not going to spend $350-400 to do it.
Same thing can be said of their inventory in the states, below is from Walmart yesterday. Clerk said they've only had to restock that endcap once in the last 2 weeks, and it was just to replace a couple units.

rrr_img_4911.jpg

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like my Wii U will be used for sports with this wiitv. I have the stats up on the controller while I'm watching the game. I know it's not that big of a deal since we can just stat watch on our comps but still a step in the right direction.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Same thing can be said of their inventory in the states, below is from Walmart yesterday. Clerk said they've only had to restock that endcap once in the last 2 weeks, and it was just to replace a couple units.
Nintendo said they didn't want a repeat of the Wii release with product being impossible to get that holiday and pretty scarce for a couple years after.

They made a lot more consoles up front this time around.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The supply for WiiU is greater than the Wii supply.
The demand for WiiUs is much more up in the air. The WiiU sold less in its first week than the Wii did (425K vs. 476K)... but still more than the 360 or PS3 did. That said, all evidence for December tends to indicate they aren't flying off the shelves.

Whether that market is permanently lost to Apple/Android or consumers balked at spending $300+ for generation-behind hardware without a major hook (the DS has been around for years) remains to be seen.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The supply for WiiU is greater than the Wii supply.
The demand for WiiUs is much more up in the air. The WiiU sold less in its first week than the Wii did (425K vs. 476K)... but still more than the 360 or PS3 did. That said, all evidence for December tends to indicate they aren't flying off the shelves.

Whether that market is permanently lost to Apple/Android or consumers balked at spending $300+ for generation-behind hardware without a major hook (the DS has been around for years) remains to be seen.
I wonder how many of the 425k ended up getting returned because the resellers couldn't make anything off of them