Wii U

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even if you do it for just 1 game, and get it for $34, that's a great deal, considering you'll have the 2nd game inside as well.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't spend a whole lot more time judging the console or maximizing the deal. Unless you hate Nintendo IP, you can't go wrong with the WiiU. The gameplay is awesome, and you are guaranteed to start off with two 10/10 or 9/10 games.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Wii U isn't a great console if it's your only one (unless your a family with young kids or a Nintendo fanatic) in terms of maximum amount of access to games (though it can do Netflix, Hulu+, Twitch, etc).

But if you have a PC/PS4/XB1, Wii U is definitely the best secondary console for maximum gaming efficiency - you know your going to get 2-3 exclusives per year that are 85+ on Metacritic, and Wii U already has 5 exclusives released with such a score.

Not to mention you get access to the entire Wii library, which has 6 games that are highly rated by any means you can think of: Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade Chronicles, and the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Unless you really like Halo, I can't see why anyone would get an XB1. Almost all their "exclusives" are released on PC (because Microsoft/Windows) sooner than later.

Crone

I have a 360 and a good gaming PC. My battle was between Ps3, Ps4, or Wii U. I made the choice for the Wii U because none of the playstation exclusives looked that great to me... although just recently Destiny did catch my eye. The rest of the games can be had on 360 or PC. 90% of my gaming time is on the PC, and I already do like the Nintendo 3DS hand held.

Can't wait to get some Mario time in again, or some of the other RPGs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Working on convincing the wife. We have a 360 so might trade it in towards a bundle of they have any.

Anyone know if the Wii balance board is compatible?

Vaclav

I'm still waiting for a compelling exclusive on PS4/XBone to make me want to purchase a next gen console. As it stands, everything decent they have to offer will be offered on PC.

Wii U on the other hand is far more compelling from an exclusive software perspective. No brainier for me.
Destiny?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I have a PS4 for Destiny/Final Fantasy/Tales of/etc, but Wii U for the other 12 exclusives they announced this week
biggrin.png

Crone

Noodle, you trying to convince the wife the WiiU is a great purchase because of all the work outs you can do on it?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I got my wife that Zoomba game for it. Groupon had it on sale about a month ago. Like $25 total for the "Zoomba World Party" thing. My wife seems to enjoy it, even though she doesn't ever dance.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodle, you trying to convince the wife the WiiU is a great purchase because of all the work outs you can do on it?
Not really. She has a WiiFit Plus or whatever she uses all the time and a bunch of Zumba games for the Wii. I wanted to make sure it was all compatible because my TV already has 3 consoles, cable box, and a receiver hooked up to it.

Oh, and an SNES.

Siliconemelons

there is a pretty bangin' deal for Wii U users right now. Go to target, pick up 1+ copies of mario kart 8 and get a $1 preorder card for any upcoming game for each MK8 you get. Tell the video games cashier that amazon is selling MK8 for $10 cheaper, and she will walk you over to the customer service area where they will PM the game from $60 to $48 after looking up amazon price on their iPad. After they have scanned everything tell them you want to also buy the $1 preorder cards, after they scan em it will deduct $15 for each MK8 you buy. So it'll cost you total $34+tax for each MK8, not bad.

Now open up any extra MK8s you bought, take out the red club nintendo insert (pin on it), keep em, and trade the extra MK8s at Best Buy or Gamestop for $40-44 each. Bam, you get basically paid $10 to get a free game from Nintendo.

I just did it today, bought 3 MKs and three $1 preorder cards, kept one MK8 and traded the other two at Best Buy for $88 (GCU gives 10% bonus). Cost me $110 after taxes, for basically $22 I got my own copy of MK8 and three free Wii U games from Nintendo - Pikmin, Super Mario, and Zelda (digital). Don't want Mario Party or I woulda done a fourth. You do need to fuck around with sub accounts (kids) in the Nintendo site to redeem them, but its pretty simple and easy.

Some people are going nuts all this week and doing shit like price matching COD/AC4 PS3 & 360 and flipping it for $10-20 profit at gamestop, do it 30-40 times and you basically make enough to buy a console. The whole thing is kinda sleazy, but Target is still making money, Nintendo is selling a shit ton of extra MK8 copies, and Best Buy sells used MK8s for $50 anyways so they aren't losing out. Some targets are refusing to let you combine the $1 discount with the price match, so it depends on how many people in your area have done it.
What games are you preordering with the 1$? and is that the promotion? preorder (what?) and get 15$ off MK8? And what games can the codes get? I am most likely going to order the 200$ refurb Wiiu once I finish typing this :p

spronk

FPS noob
i have a tv in my office attached to my PC and my consoles just so i can avoid that problem, i think my wife would cut my balls off if i tried to attach anything new to the living room tv or bring in any new remotes. women and remote controls

but yeah the wii fit balance board works fine with wii u as will all the wii games like just dance or wii fit

my refurbished wii u shipped from nintendo, so it looks like its about 2 days turnaround from order place to ship

the $1 preorder cards at target are for, duh, any games releasing in the fall it varies from store to store. you can just throw em away if you want or keep em and pay for the real game when it releases, up to you, just treat em as a $14 discount. I got the Super Smash Bros U and Destiny $1 cards.

The 4 free games you can get with MK8 purchase are Super Mario U, Pikmin 3, Zelda something (Windwalker?), and Mario Party.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
i have a tv in my office attached to my PC and my consoles just so i can avoid that problem, i think my wife would cut my balls off if i tried to attach anything new to the living room tv or bring in any new remotes. women and remote controls

but yeah the wii fit balance board works fine with wii u as will all the wii games like just dance or wii fit

my refurbished wii u shipped from nintendo, so it looks like its about 2 days turnaround from order place to ship

the $1 preorder cards at target are for, duh, any games releasing in the fall it varies from store to store. you can just throw em away if you want or keep em and pay for the real game when it releases, up to you, just treat em as a $14 discount. The 4 free games you can get with MK8 purchase are Super Mario U, Pikmin 3, Zelda something (Windwalker?), and Mario Party.
I gotta get a TV in my office.. she doesn't mind the wires and st uff but I mind her watching shitty TV when I want to play games

Siliconemelons

the $1 preorder cards at target are for, duh, any games releasing in the fall it varies from store to store. you can just throw em away if you want or keep em and pay for the real game when it releases, up to you, just treat em as a $14 discount. I got the Super Smash Bros U and Destiny $1 cards.

The 4 free games you can get with MK8 purchase are Super Mario U, Pikmin 3, Zelda something (Windwalker?), and Mario Party.
I am going to assume you can only collect 1 code per Nintendo account- and that's why you talked about child accounts etc- MK8 + WindWaker for 35$ is nuff deal for me to not fiddle with getting more than 1 copy- may be worth the efford to get Super Mario u- as the refurb comes with Nintendo land.... does gamestop give you cash? or just credit?

Siliconemelons

Just got two from target, reserve cards for SSB for wiiu and 3ds just incase I actually get them lol. 35$ with redcard, lady was like "Do we have a limit to these things? People are buying tons of them!"

Gamestop told me 27$ trade in and 23$ cash for MK8... so I most likely will just return it to target and keep my one for myself.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
My target only let me price match one, but they did let me price match + $15 off + 5% off redcard. $35 with tax, gg.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
MK8 is so fun. My wife has never played video games with me. Anything on the PS3 she basically refused to play. But she is loving MK8. She even wants to watch me play through Wind Waker.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
My wife is so bad at even the simplest games it's painful.

It's pretty comical to watch someone take last place 4 times in a row on 50cc circuit.