Wii U

Quaid

Trump's Staff
hah same here.

The wife is finally playing a game with me (set the WiiU up in the bedroom. Best call ever) and... jesus is it rough to watch. I'm just trying to be super encouraging so she develops an interest in vid'ya games.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I still havent figured out what the characters mean stat wise. If I pick Bowser and my 7 year old picks Yoshi, she trounces me. If we both pick Yoshi then I win. It's odd, she even passes me on straightaways even though my speed bar is maxxed :p I suppose it takes that long to fully accelerate.

If your wife is getting last on even the 50CC track, make sure she picks an 'easier' character.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I still havent figured out what the characters mean stat wise. If I pick Bowser and my 7 year old picks Yoshi, she trounces me. If we both pick Yoshi then I win. It's odd, she even passes me on straightaways even though my speed bar is maxxed :p I suppose it takes that long to fully accelerate.

If your wife is getting last on even the 50CC track, make sure she picks an 'easier' character.

koljec_sl

shitlord

I assume there must be hidden stats or perks that play out depending on the course? This is my first MarioKart, though.

Rosalina on the Yoshi bike is a pretty safe bet for 50 and 100cc.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is there a place I'm not seeing to see the stats of the characters, cars and customization stuff?

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
I remember in earlier mario karts big guys like bowser had bad turning but were really fast on straightaways where guys like toad weren't as fast but had better turning and handling. I honestly can't even tell here if there is a difference no matter who i pick.

And ya my poor wife, she grew up poor in the Philippines and never saw a video game system until her 20's. If you haven't trained in video games since 4 years old you are basically destined to suck at them.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
Trying to get gold on these 150cc cups is rage inducing to say the least. Doesn't matter how good you are, leading the whole time, and on the third lap right before you are about to win, you take a bunch of random bullshit and end up taking 6th or something. Getting screwed on 1 race like this even if you took first on all the others is generally enough to make you not take first in the standing. I know, cry more sigh.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I remember in earlier mario karts big guys like bowser had bad turning but were really fast on straightaways where guys like toad weren't as fast but had better turning and handling. I honestly can't even tell here if there is a difference no matter who i pick.
I've found the car/tires you choose has more effect than the character.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
MK8 Rocks !

mariokart.gif

Tenks

I've found the car/tires you choose has more effect than the character.
From dicking around a bit the character seems to have, at least, great influence on many attributes. Like if you pick Waluigi, who seems to have good speed, I couldn't find a way to customize someone like Baby Mario to out speed him.

Also I picked up Earthbound. I've played it maybe 3 times all emulated so I'm glad to play it proper.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Trying to get gold on these 150cc cups is rage inducing to say the least. Doesn't matter how good you are, leading the whole time, and on the third lap right before you are about to win, you take a bunch of random bullshit and end up taking 6th or something. Getting screwed on 1 race like this even if you took first on all the others is generally enough to make you not take first in the standing. I know, cry more sigh.
I've had the same problems. My tears have been frequent.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Wait until you guys start trying to three star every 150cc series. It's maddening. It becomes Contra-esque where the first couple races are automatic and brainless until you get to the third or fourth race because you repeat it so often.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Going to hook back up my WiiU this afternoon I think, with all the great stuff happening I'm happy I ended up not giving it away. I only have the big controller though and am still thinking about getting one of the other pads. Need to find a home / trade in for my X360 though.

edit: which reminds me, if I never owned a Wii would I be better off just buying a couple of Motion Plus controllers rather than a Pro Pad?

Tenks

Depends what you plan on doing. My wife uses the controller and wheel I just use the game pad for Mk.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Revisiting old Wii games (as posted above; Galaxy 1/2, Twilight Princess, etc...) and then just the upcoming Wii U stuff. Either way I just ordered two of Amazon with Nunchuk, so that ship sailed.

koljec_sl

shitlord
edit: which reminds me, if I never owned a Wii would I be better off just buying a couple of Motion Plus controllers rather than a Pro Pad?
The Pro controller is a really nice controller and worth the money. It also holds a charge for a very long time. The Motion Plus controllers are necessary for certain games, but they aren't as fun to play with. Some people seem to do very well with them in the steering wheel, though.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
you should play in the neogaf tournament they have online, talk about fucking brutal. I havent taken higher then 4th lol 150CC against the cpu though is pretty bad as well.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Going to hook back up my WiiU this afternoon I think, with all the great stuff happening I'm happy I ended up not giving it away. I only have the big controller though and am still thinking about getting one of the other pads. Need to find a home / trade in for my X360 though.

The Pro controllers are all around better and more comfortable, but I dont think every game supports them (though most should). Better to have one or two of each. Nintendo has refurb motion plus controllers for $20 last I checked, and you can occasionally find the pro controller on clearance at various stores. I ended up getting a couple for $25 each at Meijer on clearance.