Wii U

spronk

FPS noob
sony is worth more than nintendo atm actually, $17.5b vs 14.4b. Nintendo also pulls in ~$6b/year in revenue, Sony is $72b/year, just most of the markets Sony is in (electronics) its shrinking every year, not growing.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Do any of you know what the annoying sound in wind wakers is, game constantly makes a "zap" sort of sound (its hard to describe) and I cant figure out what it is. Im just running about town so im not low on health or anything, just this annoying sound like a laser gun being fired, cant see what is triggering it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Didn't the 3DS kind of flounder? Not sure if it bounced back or not.
Yeah, it did after games started coming out, it's first year was kind of barren on that front. Nintendo is hoping for a similar results with the Wii U - cursory evidence (Wii U Bundles being sold out/very scarce and Nintendo Refurb units being backordered) shows that Mario Kart 8 has moved a lot of consoles in the last 20 days. Obviously that will come back to normal levels but then you have Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, and Smash Brothers around Christmas to push more consoles - 2015 is jam packed with games. They'd probably be happy with Gamecube or slightly better sales at this point - it's obvious that a lot of the casual (non-gamer) audience that bought a Wii has abandoned the console market entirely for mobile.

I meant on the console front only, I should have been more clear. Obviously their handheld wing is a giant.
I guess? Almost all their consoles have been profitable out of the door (the Wii U needed 1 game bought to be profitable). They have always been well-made, don't break, don't overheat, etc.

If you think their consoles are failures because they don't get multiplats, that just doesn't seem like a good indicator to me. If their consoles are able to run the games Nintendo wants to make, and are profitable, what else do they need? Sure it would be nice if I only had to buy a Nintendo console to play all games and not need a PC/PS4/Xbox but I still don't think I would since I've got the PC for other things anyways.

If Nintendo had to get out of the console market and make games for other hardware, the games would straight up be worse. Being able to dictate hardware design as the software developer let's them do unique things that the PS4 and Xbox can never do. It's good to have a console doing it's own thing instead of having 3 consoles that are all the same competing over the same market. First and foremost, Nintendo wants to be known as a toy company.

sony is worth more than nintendo atm actually, $17.5b vs 14.4b. Nintendo also pulls in ~$6b/year in revenue, Sony is $72b/year, just most of the markets Sony is in (electronics) its shrinking every year, not growing.
Yeah most of Sony's revenue goes to keeping the failing parts of it's company afloat. Outside of the console and insurance divisions, I don't think anything in Sony makes money. In fact their insurance arm is what generates the bulk of the revenue.

Do any of you know what the annoying sound in wind wakers is, game constantly makes a "zap" sort of sound (its hard to describe) and I cant figure out what it is. Im just running about town so im not low on health or anything, just this annoying sound like a laser gun being fired, cant see what is triggering it.
Maybe one of those electric chuchu mobs? Can't say I remember a sound like that on the first island.

Column_sl

shitlord
Nintendo will never be as good as they used to be with the nintendo/super/64 ,but all there systems have been worth buying for at least a couple games.

And the last two systems are way cheaper then the competition so the point of entry isn't to bad.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, Nintendo can't and doesn't want to compete in the hardware market with Sony and MS.

They are a toy company who just does one thing, they MUST sell their consoles and handhelds as close to a profit per device as possible - they have no other parts of their company to keep them from going bankrupt like the other two. Because of that, they just can't have a console as powerful as the competition - for example it cost Sony like $1k per PS3 at launch and they sold for $600, that would kill Nintendo. The PS4 and XB1 are not as bad as the PS3 as far as selling the hardware at a loss but only because neither company can afford to at this point - because of that the gap between this generation's console and top PC hardware is immense, when the PS3 and Xbox came out the best PC hardware wasn't much better.

Column_sl

shitlord
Despite power, Mario Kart is really good looking, and if Zelda turns out as good as the videos then It just proves that what is under the hood isn't everything.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, a horribly run company that is worth more than the entirety of Sony and has over $10 billion dollars in the bank.
Yet has the foresight of a blind cheetah chasing a rock.

They take too long to implement easy to use multiplayer features. Which finally work now with the WiiU, but about 10 years too late because I cannot imagine the successes they would have had if they weren't of the mindset, "Multiplayer over the internet is a fad. People want to go to each others houses and play together instead". The only thing holding Nintendo up right now is 1st party IP and their handheld, which also struggled at first. They have also completely alienated their 3rd party publisher base back in the N64 days after charging ridiculous amounts of license costs. (Flash cart was only a small part of the problem). Even the games I play today on my Wii U, which often have some of the same maps from previous incarnations (Hello Mario Kart 8) and gameplay sentiments, scream indie platformer until the IP is branded on top. It isn't that impressive and I would sense that their schtick is getting a lot older now that the Wii U has flopped. Meanwhile, while I cannot play my Wii U game pad more than 30 feet away from my Wii U, I can buy a Vita and play my PS4 games anywhere I want too.

They are too far behind the technology and have far too many relics that aren't able to move with the changing market demands before it's 5 years too late. Which would be fine if they perfected it, but they don't - and usually they are 5 years behind as a result. And while I am excited for a new Open World Zelda, it's another RPG gamestyle that should have happened 10 years ago for the series.

Here is what Nintendo needs to do:

1) Remote play on the next Hand Held with the Next Console
2) Cross play between the hand held and the console on digital downloads for both platforms when you purchase a game.
3) Start making their first party IP games fresh, and launch both consoles with 4 high end IP launch title exclusives with original gameplay and new design.
4) Offer a trade in for the Wii U or add backwards compatibility to all Wii U and Wii games on the new system.
5) Lure 3rd party developers to an easy to use and develop for system.
6) An easy to use and navigate friends list with a quick and reponsive UI. Jesus the Wii U is God Awful at this. And their network for uploading patches and updates sucks. It shouldn't take an hour and a half form the time you turn on your system to the time you finally get to play a game.

One last new direction this entire industry needs to head and would make an absolute killing on, is to innovate platform sales. I have a gaming PC, a PS4, a PS3, A 3DS, a Wii U, and 2 Xbox 360's. I should be able to buy a game for $59, hell charge a 20 dollar value prop and make it $79, to get play codes to download that same game across any of those systems (Whichever multiple platforms they target )and have a cross save feature from the publisher to pick up where I left off, on any of those platforms I choose to play the game on. The next publisher that makes this happen with their own cloud based technology will rule the world.

Pay $79 for Far Cry 4. I get the PC version, the PS4 Version, an Xbone Version. For me, I can load the game on my PS4 and PC, and play the game on whichever platform I desire without losing progress. If they add a platform later, it's an automated email code for that specific platform.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Backwards compatibility would screw them. Their power PC processor design is ridiculously convoluted to program. They need to either go third party or take a hint from the others and go more PC like in the design of their next console.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yet has the foresight of a blind cheetah chasing a rock.

They take too long to implement easy to use multiplayer features. Which finally work now with the WiiU, but about 10 years too late because I cannot imagine the successes they would have had if they weren't of the mindset, "Multiplayer over the internet is a fad. People want to go to each others houses and play together instead". The only thing holding Nintendo up right now is 1st party IP and their handheld, which also struggled at first. They have also completely alienated their 3rd party publisher base back in the N64 days after charging ridiculous amounts of license costs. (Flash cart was only a small part of the problem). Even the games I play today on my Wii U, which often have some of the same maps from previous incarnations (Hello Mario Kart 8) and gameplay sentiments, scream indie platformer until the IP is branded on top. It isn't that impressive and I would sense that their schtick is getting a lot older now that the Wii U has flopped. Meanwhile, while I cannot play my Wii U game pad more than 30 feet away from my Wii U, I can buy a Vita and play my PS4 games anywhere I want too.

They are too far behind the technology and have far too many relics that aren't able to move with the changing market demands before it's 5 years too late. Which would be fine if they perfected it, but they don't - and usually they are 5 years behind as a result. And while I am excited for a new Open World Zelda, it's another RPG gamestyle that should have happened 10 years ago for the series.

Here is what Nintendo needs to do:

2) Cross play between the hand held and the console on digital downloads for both platforms when you purchase a game.
3) Start making their first party IP games fresh, and launch both consoles with 4 high end IP launch title exclusives with original gameplay and new design.
4) Offer a trade in for the Wii U or add backwards compatibility to all Wii U and Wii games on the new system.
6) An easy to use and navigate friends list with a quick and reponsive UI. Jesus the Wii U is God Awful at this. And their network for uploading patches and updates sucks. It shouldn't take an hour and a half form the time you turn on your system to the time you finally get to play a game.

One last new direction this entire industry needs to head and would make an absolute killing on, is to innovate platform sales. I have a gaming PC, a PS4, a PS3, A 3DS, a Wii U, and 2 Xbox 360's. I should be able to buy a game for $59, hell charge a 20 dollar value prop and make it $79, to get play codes to download that same game across any of those systems (Whichever multiple platforms they target )and have a cross save feature from the publisher to pick up where I left off, on any of those platforms I choose to play the game on. The next publisher that makes this happen with their own cloud based technology will rule the world.

Pay $79 for Far Cry 4. I get the PC version, the PS4 Version, an Xbone Version. For me, I can load the game on my PS4 and PC, and play the game on whichever platform I desire without losing progress. If they add a platform later, it's an automated email code for that specific platform.
Im a console noob, but it seems really strange if they have neglected online play for so long like you say. Mario kart and Mario games were always great for 2 players, seems like the perfect game for "Your friend is playing mario, would you like to join?" and give the host the option to let players join (do they even do this currently? I dont know). Why the hell they wouldn't tap into this sooner is a complete mystery to me.

And it's a shame, because mario kart is probably the most fun ive had in the last 5 years or so of gaming

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Im a console noob, but it seems really strange if they have neglected online play for so long like you say. Mario kart and Mario games were always great for 2 players, seems like the perfect game for "Your friend is playing mario, would you like to join?" and give the host the option to let players join (do they even do this currently? I dont know). Why the hell they wouldn't tap into this sooner is a complete mystery to me.
You can make lobbies for your friends to join in MK8. Outside of no voice chat during races (which is more of a philosophical choice than technical), Mario Kart 8 multiplayer online is pretty great - no lag at all. Nintendo tends to favor single player or Local Co-Op for their games in the past but that seems to be changing - the multiplayer Wii U offerings so far have had online multiplayer and so will Splatoon, Smash Bros, etc. Nintendo is just really behind because as I said in an earlier post, they are a toy company - they probably didn't have a huge team of network engineers and whatever else you need until recently to design the infrastructure needed to have something like PSN and Xbox Live.

Meanwhile, while I cannot play my Wii U game pad more than 30 feet away from my Wii U, I can buy a Vita and play my PS4 games anywhere I want too.
Not really a great argument - different technology at work here. The gamepad is communicating directly with console, while Remote Play using a PS4 and Vita is utilizing your WiFI connection from your home network. I also have a PS4/Vita and while Remote Play has a larger range thanks to using your internet connection, the gameplay also isn't as smooth as the WiiU/Gamepad interaction. Maybe if you have a great broadband connection it's smoother but I can definitely notice the difference on my 10mb connection.

1. The next set of console/handheld will be using the same OS, so this is probably happening.
2. They are slowly moving to this, have already merged the handheld and console accounts into one.
3. First part is an opinion (I don't think they have a first party title with a score under 80 on Metacritic in recent memory, their highest selling titles are their least "fresh" titles like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pokemon, etc so they are doing something right), don't disagree with the second part.
4. Doubt they will do a trade in, they seem to be set to support the Wii U for better or worse - no way a new console is coming out in 2015 or 2016.
5. If they switch from PowerPC to x86 architecture their next console then 3rd parties should have no complaints - but it's mostly politics keeping companies like EA from supporting Nintendo (they don't want Origin on their systems) and I don't see that changing.
6. Don't disagree with the first part. The initial patch for Wii U was slightly longer than the PS4 one for me so can't really complain, in the present their patches pretty much download and install themselves while the console is shut off.

koljec_sl

shitlord

And it's a shame, because mario kart is probably the most fun ive had in the last 5 years or so of gaming
There was an E3 article explaining that Japanese people don't like such direct interaction in online gaming, that they are shy. I'll try to find it.

In the meantime, here's another article about Miyamoto's view of Oculus tech:The Escapist : Forums : The News Room : Miyamoto: Oculus Rift-Style VR Goes Against Wii U's Values

I think it sheds some light on Nintendo's ethic. Then again, Devil's Third is supposed to be a WiiU exclusive, and that really doesn't fit the Nintendo mold.

When I think about it, I want to see Nintendo do more with Augmented Reality. I'd like to have my living room converted into a Mario level or Duck Hunt range.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm a bit upset that the gamepad seems to need line of sight to the WiiU to work. I was hoping I could play Earthbound and other VC games outside on my porch but I basically have to be in my living room.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That's not 100% true. My wife plays Super Mario World (the one from the Super Nintendo) upstairs in our bedroom while our Wii U is downstairs and a room over. Maybe the range isn't terribly far, but it'll handle that far at least.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I'm a bit upset that the gamepad seems to need line of sight to the WiiU to work. I was hoping I could play Earthbound and other VC games outside on my porch but I basically have to be in my living room.
I am 100% sure it does not need line of sight. Nintendo forums suggest that certain wall materials and electronic interference limit the range.

Tenks

I am 100% sure it does not need line of sight. Nintendo forums suggest that certain wall materials and electronic interference limit the range.
I'd probably get a bit better range if I put the console on the outside of my entertainment stand instead of inside. But even then it isn't like I could go outside. I could possibly go into my sitting room (at the top of the stairs in a loft from the stairs leading off the living room) but that isn't much of a win from just the living room.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I was under the assumption it is Bluetooth. Was I wrong in that? So 30 feet makes sense.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Look's like it's not Bluetooth:

The GamePad communicates with a Wii U console over a modified Wi-Fi protocol designed for low-latency transmission, establishing its connection with the console by using a variant of the WPS process.
I can use my Gamepad in my bedroom about 40 feet away, just have to make sure the Wii U isn't near your other consoles or your wireless router. The walls in my apartment don't seem to be a barrier but I'm sure there are some materials that will cause it to lose signal.

Tenks

I was under the assumption it is Bluetooth. Was I wrong in that? So 30 feet makes sense.
If I duck behind a wall I can reliably make it give me the "connection unstable" and the wall is maybe 10 feet from the console. I can walk around my whole house and use my PS3 controllers, though.