Wii U

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What? Fuck no.

When will Nintendo just come out with the SNES 2020?! I want modern reimaginings of classic franchises using CLASSIC FUCKING CONTROLLERS. Jesus. The fucking GameCube controller would be ok. But better yet, rip off the 360 controlled or ps4 one. Put in some rumble if you must. Build this system and launch your fucking games in a reasonable time.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
The forced motion shit is definitely a bummer. They force the gamepad stuff hard, too. I have had the volume up on that fucker in forever but that's where all the banter plays from. It is cool hearing the classic"Good Luck"play from it. I like it, but I had some eshop bucks in the bank so it didn't feel like wasting $60. I'd say wait for it to dip in price but Nintendo games rarely go on sale and certainly not to something like $20.

Caeden

Official Nintendo social media accounts are confirming that Zelda is dual release on Wii U and NX in 2017.

So, I have a feeling that NX will probably have a dumb controller gimmick and Zelda will be shoehorned onto it. Like Twilight Princess, the most fun version will be on the previous generation hardware. I hope I'm wrong. I had planned to drop cash on a wii u when Zelda launched and pick up the family/party stuff like Mario Kart. Looks like I can sit tight until March.

Siliconemelons

Official Nintendo social media accounts are confirming that Zelda is dual release on Wii U and NX in 2017.

So, I have a feeling that NX will probably have a dumb controller gimmick and Zelda will be shoehorned onto it. Like Twilight Princess, the most fun version will be on the previous generation hardware. I hope I'm wrong. I had planned to drop cash on a wii u when Zelda launched and pick up the family/party stuff like Mario Kart. Looks like I can sit tight until March.
yeah, playing it on wiiu is much much better than when I had it on a wii...ick..just like I love playing Metroid prime GC but not 2 and 3 on wii

spronk

FPS noob
the NX will probably be just a Wii U with a 3DS glued onto it

but painted... YELLOW

to give an idea how bad the wii u is doing, last nights nintendo financial report stated they sold 3.26m Wii U units in 2015. In 2016 they expect to sell 800k. Not a typo, 800k worldwide. PS4 sold more than that in one month during the holidays. Apple sells more iPhones in a single DAY during holidays.

Caeden

That's a failure. Here's the thing, Nintendo had the world in its hand multiple times. They still could. God rest his soul, but the successor to Iwata should do a major about face with the NX.

They have the first party win sewed up. It's not even close. Make the console powerful and embrace online/developers. Even if you have to scrap current systems. They could win the current wars that way. Maybe.

I'm almost exclusively a PC gamer now, so a Nintendo console makes the most sense for me to get rock solid exclusives I can't usually get anywhere. Don't get me wrong. I know Sony and MS have some great ones too, but a powerful, traditional Nintendo console with support would be a no-brainer day one purchase.

Or I'm an idiot letting my early 90's SNES rose tinted glasses get in the way.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think you are rose tinting. If there was a huge demand for traditional platformers that demand would be met in the XB/PS market. Fact is the WiiU was a pretty decent system. It wasn't your every day gaming rig unless you were a young kid (my cousin still plays MK basically every day) but it was good to turn on for a few weeks when something got released and then collect dust as nothing happens. I don't see how throwing more powerful hardware at the Nintendo franchises would solve anything since the games are about easy gameplay and charm. I don't need to see a photo realistic Mario shooting fireballs which expel 100m particles traveling to hit a turtle shell composed of 300m vertices. I just want good response gameplay.

Caeden

I simply meant to get third party back to putting out content for their system. Not really platformers or photorealistic Nintendo dudes.

3rd party abandoned Nintendo in droves the past 2...hell 3 generations.

Tenks

I simply meant to get third party back to putting out content for their system. Not really platformers or photorealistic Nintendo dudes.

3rd party abandoned Nintendo in droves the past 2...hell 3 generations.
I think its because console gamers have moved on. The best "retro console" these days is PC because it is so free and open. These days it is just too expensive to make console games and console gamers expect AAA++. So even if you put out 16-bit revival platformers the console market wouldn't respond. But if you want revival platformers you can get well indulged on Steam. If you want 16bit revival RPG you can get those with some of the RPG maker games. The content is out there it is just not on XB/PS.

And I'll also add that the WiiU does have some damn good platformers. DKC Tropical Freeze is a fucking amazing platformer.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
With everything going on it feels like Nintendo is going through an internal reset. It's weird, but it could be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm pretty pissed about Zelda though. The fuck am I supposed to play this Christmas?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
The wife and I had been thinking about purchasing a wii u because we miss playing those party type games together and w/ friends so we picked one up for my birthday yesterday (the price dropped to $275 at target). We played mario kart and it was a blast from the past, just like old times. Only did the first cup so far, but the new tracks are really well done.

Tenks

I wish my wife wasn't functionally retarded at video games. We play on 100cc and her not getting in last is considered a good race by her while I'm nearly lapping the entire board. Its not exactly engaging for either of us.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Heh, we just started at 50cc. She got 1st in 3/4 races. First race I may not have been try harding, other races I don't know if I can really say the same since all the replays were me beating the crap out of her, lol.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
My ex and I used to play Drunk Kart. You had to finish a full beer before the end of the race. Usually ended up with both of us chugging it at the beginning of the race, then catching up with the field. She was actually good enough to beat me on some tracks, but I'd usually end up winning the cups.

Super Mario 3D World was another one we had fun with...never finished it, but it worked nicely that we could play together and I could get us through the difficult parts when she'd have trouble. We tried playing Smash Bros a couple times, but it never really caught on.

That's really where the Wii U worked better than PS4 for me...as a cooperative system. We tried playing one of the Lego games together, but that bored her for some reason...everyone can get into Mario Kart, though.

koljec_sl

shitlord
What's the strategy behind a March 2017 new system release? Doesn't sometime between Labor Day and Christmas make a lot more sense?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Guessing the strategy is 'we missed ideal launch windows due to some problem or logistics so this is when we could have it ready' or an assumption that no matter when it is released it will be supply constrained so what does it matter, release it once wallets have rebounded from the holidays.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What's the strategy behind a March 2017 new system release? Doesn't sometime between Labor Day and Christmas make a lot more sense?
Is it before or after their fiscal year end maybe? Good time of the year in the US, imho because tax refunds might fuel some sales they wouldn't otherwise get. It's better than releasing a month before Christmas and trying to fight to fucking get one.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Is it before or after their fiscal year end maybe? Good time of the year in the US, imho because tax refunds might fuel some sales they wouldn't otherwise get. It's better than releasing a month before Christmas and trying to fight to fucking get one.
Could be.

I think it's dangerous, though. If they system and release games don't generate a lot of interest, then they go into the system's first holiday season dead.