Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
They wouldn't continue to put hard factions in MMO's if their focus groups and polls they ran didn't say majority of players like it.
Focus groups and polls? LOL. In the amount of time that people have discussed MMO's on this board, or anywhere for that matter, when have you ever heard a developer mention a focus group or poll as the foundation of one of their design decisions? Never.

I'm pretty sure dev companies don't just go "Fuck it lets put hard factions in coz wow did!" they would do research into what the masses want whether it be hard-factions or not.
You're pretty sure?

Also I can show you MMOs that didn't have hard factions that have also failed so your point is irrelevant.
My point (that hard-factions do more to hurt games than help) is still relevant. Your argument, however, is not.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Focus groups and polls? LOL. In the amount of time that people have discussed MMO's on this board, or anywhere for that matter, when have you ever heard a developer mention a focus group or poll as the foundation of one of their design decisions? Never.
I've heard straight from the mouth of Rift developer prior to it's launch that some of it's design choices were based from focus groups. I've repeated that story multiple times on these forums.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I've heard straight from the mouth of Rift developer prior to it's launch that some of it's design choices were based from focus groups. I've repeated that story multiple times on these forums.
Apparently I've been out of the loop.

When you say design choices, are we talking blue zone vs green zone or gamebreaking design choices?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure a lot of what's come out in the last few years in MMOs has been exactly because 'WoW did it that way'.

Didn't Rift remove hard factions so players could play together ?
Maybe, maybe not. Considering hard factions was done before WoW and in games for quite some time.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Apparently I've been out of the loop.

When you say design choices, are we talking blue zone vs green zone or gamebreaking design choices?
Certain MMOs (i.e. Rift) used focus groups to better understand 'the average gamer' in order to create a product that will be appealing to them. One of the (many) horrible design decision that results from these focus groups is hard factions. In a nutshell the argument is that without an 'us' versus 'them' atmosphere players feel that they're not a significant part of the world. To counteract this, designers create hard factions where the player is meant to feel that every time they achieve something they're progressing their character and making a difference in the world. The problem is that the execution of this has been horrible/lazy across every MMO (yes, even including WoW). The end result is that developers spend a significant amount of time creating two separate leveling experiences and run out of time/money to create any type of meaningful endgame content however since having an exciting & easy to progress leveling experience creates box sales (which is another one of those beautiful things learned in those focus groups) we continue to have the same cut & paste MMOs. Typically, the ones that try to move away from that formula end up not even making it to launch, which is why so few of them even attempt to get made anymore. It's also why the MMO industry doesn't have any real up & coming stars; in the industry if you've launched a title (no matter how bad) you've achieved a certain measure of success. It's all types of fucked up.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I organize and moderate focus groups for a living. I wasn't at the discussion nor behind the mirror but typically the client, in this case Trion, has several ideas or designs, two factions for example, using the focus groups for positive or negative feedback on a design, hard factions, already in mind. Rarely do respondents provide an unique idea for the client to complete design a product. As said I wasn't there so who knows but I would assume someone on Trion most likely wanted two hard factions then proceeded to use the feedback from some amateurs in a focus group to say "see what your average mmorpg player wants".

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
No doubt. But here's the sticking point: the focus group was probably done around 2009 or 2010. This means the vast, vast majority of players only have had experience with WOW. Not only that, the MMO market was extremely limited. Most of the time, people will say yeah, 2 factions is a good idea.

A focus group really only works if you have a group of people of varying experiences. I wouldn't trust 9 out of 10 "MMO" players to recognize what good or interesting design ideas are.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Players around 2003 too would have told you they just wanted a game where you could solo to the end and dying wasn't a big deal - doesn't mean it's been great for the MMO genre as far as quality, impression-making gaming. Sure made a shit ton of money though.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Focus groups are just small sample groups anyways. Any small statistical sample is going to have poor accuracy. Why not make a game you think is fun, waste the money on testing instead of armchair dev feedback, and allocate resources more effectively? The answer is publisher pressure, poor management, and poorly thought out goals. Most games would probably end up being pretty decent if they had more time, better management, and a publisher that really supported the developers properly.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Players around 2003 too would have told you they just wanted a game where you could solo to the end and dying wasn't a big deal - doesn't mean it's been great for the MMO genre as far as quality, impression-making gaming. Sure made a shit ton of money though.
Who the hell would have said that ? again there are single player experiences that will always be better ... I will never believe that the crap we are getting is anything other than "let's do what wow did" which could work even today but these developers can't even copy WoW and get it right.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Who the hell would have said that ? again there are single player experiences that will always be better ... I will never believe that the crap we are getting is anything other than "let's do what wow did" which could work even today but these developers can't even copy WoW and get it right.
Almost everyone playing EverQuest, which is why WoW had exactly those features (everyone solo, dying has little consequence).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Almost everyone playing EverQuest, which is why WoW had exactly those features (everyone solo, dying has little consequence).
Pretty much, take the major complaints people had about EQ and WoW fixed them. There's a reason the industry turned that corner and its because that is what majority of the then current players wanted. What was unexpected was the huge influx of new blood.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The problem is that it's kinda like asking little kids about their favorite foods. What you think you want might not actually be that good in the long run.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Hard coded factions have been around for decades. Popular muds did them in the 90s. Any DurisMUD, MPV/ROP/LOC MUD players out there?
Sojourn!

Hardcoded factions only really work well when the game is thriving, though. As soon as it isn't, it's just a hindrance to gameplay. One of the factions will inevitably lose more members than the other(s) and then they start to lose even more just because they don't have enough to do shit, and soon you've got a server with 5000 evil guys and 300 good guys. Faction imbalance snowballs because the gameplay becomes compromised when the balance slips. Remember WAR on realms where one side had a considerable numbers advantage? It was a borderline unplayable game if you were on the lesser team. And look at WoW, most servers are owned by one side or the other.

Same thing with those aforementioned MUDs: after their heyday, one of the teams (usually evil, since their races were often harder to play) died out and it just became a segment of the game that was lost from then on. I gave TorilMUD (formerly Sojourn, where Brad McQuaid played Aradune and took his inspiration for Everquest) a shot a few years back and over 80% of the playerbase was on the goodie faction while evil was reserved for casual alts and this one little group of stubborn old-timers.

DMK_sl

shitlord

You're pretty sure?

My point (that hard-factions do more to hurt games than help) is still relevant. Your argument, however, is not.
Hard coded factions for one.
What were you saying Tmac...?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Major difference was that the population of MMORPG players pre-WOW was incredibly small. Post TBC/Wrath it was much larger and much more diverse. Pre-WOW the majority of MMO players were hardcore. Not so much in 2009/10 whatever.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Major difference was that the population of MMORPG players pre-WOW was incredibly small. Post TBC/Wrath it was much larger and much more diverse. Pre-WOW the majority of MMO players were hardcore. Not so much in 2009/10 whatever.
Hit the nail on the head.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Ok I will buy that but then why the repetitive epic fails? Because WoW was a hell of a lot more than Soloable. You had a huge world to explore and there were rails but leveling choices as well and a reason to ALT. New games lack this... Point is you can't cherry pick a feature and think that is all that is needed..RIft in particular gave u no reason to level another character from a leveling path perspective .. He'll there are parts of WoW I still have not seen.