Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I think for a game that doesnt try to give servers an identity by having a ton of cross-server shit, a global AH is fine. Your "cool I found something special" is not as important as a dozen other people wanting to have that item available at any time, which is obviously easier with a global AH. Lobby MMOs live and die by the convenience they can offer, just look at WoW now that it slowly declines introducing cross-server tech to simulate merges they should have done 5 years ago. I think they are shooting for a lobby MMO here, the only world feature on their list comes from the profession paths or what it was called.

DMK_sl

shitlord
"cool I found something special" isn't necessarily what server specific AH's can offer. It's more the fact that the players have more impact on the world they are playing in.

Willard_sl

shitlord
Another game I cant wait to get into beta, but I do not see that happening before release... Way to many games coming out that I want to try and not enough hours in the day...

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
"cool I found something special" isn't necessarily what server specific AH's can offer. It's more the fact that theplayers have more impact on the world they are playing in.
I get what you mean - I'm just saying that isnt something development actually wants (though they mightsaythey want it to get your dollars). Lobby MMO design minimizes the effect individual players can have on other players wherever possible. If they go with server-specific auction houses thenthe reason for that is that it's easier for them, simple as that. They would not go for it to increase the impact a player can have on the world, that's the opposite of their goal.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I get what you mean - I'm just saying that isnt something development actually wants (though they mightsaythey want it to get your dollars). Lobby MMO design minimizes the effect individual players can have on other players wherever possible. If they go with server-specific auction houses thenthe reason for that is that it's easier for them, simple as that. They would not go for it to increase the impact a player can have on the world, that's the opposite of their goal.
I agree..In my initial post I went over the fact that MMO's are glorified lobbies. Dev companies traded community for convenience a long time ago. But we've all had this discussion a million times before so I'll stop.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol he died to mob dmg kiting everywhere. Poor warrior, looked like he had no clue what he was doing.

Thankfully that rez here option is a 30 min CD irrc, so you can't just chain that in pvp. Though I can see that option maybe having a longer CD on pvp servers or if you die to pvp damage.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Kind of sad that they consider aggroing mobs as some unique and interesting pvp mechanic. That looks like GW2 level shit

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I was at NYCC last weekend and was hanging out at the Wildstar booth for a while. Had a good talk with my buddy David Bass about what they've been changing with the game. It wasn't meant for public consumption (unless he tells me I can talk about it and he reads this thread daily), however I think I can say that some of the things they are working on seem really really awesome if these things make it to the final beta client. I can't wait to see them myself.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
...I think I can say that some of the things they are working on seem really really awesomeif these things make it to the final beta client. I can't wait to see them myself.
So why wouldn't "really really awesome" features make it into the game?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Because, while they sound really awesome, might not work once you get into the nitty gritty. Or they test poorly. I don't know. You never know with MMO devs, sometimes they get stupid and listen to the fanboy forum warriors in their beta forum.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Because, while they sound really awesome, might not work once you get into the nitty gritty. Or they test poorly. I don't know. You never know with MMO devs, sometimes they get stupid and listen to the fanboy forum warriors in their beta forum.
The stuff you've said about the original Rift concepts comes to mind.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Lol he died to mob dmg kiting everywhere. Poor warrior, looked like he had no clue what he was doing.

Thankfully that rez here option is a 30 min CD irrc, so you can't just chain that in pvp. Though I can see that option maybe having a longer CD on pvp servers or if you die to pvp damage.
Only two things rustle my jimmies in PVP:

1) Dying to an invisible person with 0 control of my character (mez, stunlock whatever)

and even worse:

2) Having a great fight interrupted by somehow aggroing a ton of mobs out of nowhere. Where the fuck did they come from, did they just spawn or did I have tunnel vision? They never attack the other guy ;\

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The stuff you've said about the original Rift concepts comes to mind.
Here's what I think happened there: The original game was probably awful. I don't know any details, but just look at what happened going from Heroes of Telara to Rift: Planes of Telara. You go black for 6-12 months (I can't remember actually how long) and bring in an outside guy by the name of Scott Hartsman to get things going. In order to get the game from whatever it was, to shipping condition in under a year you're going to have to go with some super safe design decisions.

I'm guessing that's what went down.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kind of sad that they consider aggroing mobs as some unique and interesting pvp mechanic. That looks like GW2 level shit
You realize that was a video from some fansite and not curbine themselves? Granted I probably just took some pretty obvious troll bait.

Scooter_sl

shitlord
I was at NYCC last weekend and was hanging out at the Wildstar booth for a while. Had a good talk with my buddy David Bass about what they've been changing with the game. It wasn't meant for public consumption (unless he tells me I can talk about it and he reads this thread daily), however I think I can say that some of the things they are working on seem really really awesome if these things make it to the final beta client. I can't wait to see them myself.
Class info will be dropping soon. You won't have to deal with the burden of information for long.

Also hi everyone. Longtime lurker, first-time poster, aka "David Bass, Legendary Asshole." I tend to hang around most of the WildStar "megathreads" around the web (Rerolled, Penny Arcade, Something Awful) because it's so much easier to track discussions of the game that way. I'll mostly stay out of the way to just listen to the conversation here, but if there's ever any confusion or misconceptions, I'm happy to clear stuff up.