Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Xevy

Log Wizard
This is completely irrelevant to what was said, I don't care about immersion or length of levelling. Shitty is shitty.
You quoted some one saying that people will max lvl as soon as possible and then quit within 30 days because there's nothing to do.

Seems relevant to me.

Leveling hasn't been 'fun' to me since WoW and that's only because it was a new type of leveling experience and it was 2004 and we weren't jaded and cynical MMOers who just wanted to shortcut the shit out of everything to see DARGONZ AND RAGNOROZ.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
You quoted some one saying that people will max lvl as soon as possible and then quit within 30 days because there's nothing to do.

Seems relevant to me.

Leveling hasn't been 'fun' to me since WoW and that's only because it was a new type of leveling experience and it was 2004 and we weren't jaded and cynical MMOers who just wanted to shortcut the shit out of everything to see DARGONZ AND RAGNOROZ.
Leveling and exploring the world has been my favorite part of every MMO I have played since EQ. Every game after that figured out that leveling consisting of sitting in one spot and repeatedly killing stuff was less than what it could be and opted for a more curated experience in that regard, i.e. quest hubs and disguised grinds. Even SWTOR wasn't too bad until I neared max level and swore if I had to run 5 min through another shitty spaceport I was going to drive to Austin and punch someone in the face. Once I max a character out, though, I generally alt it up again; its the exp/level/statquest gain that I enjoy. By the time POP hit, I was so done with x mandatory nights a week of DKP Guild Drama BS that it has really killed my desire to take part in any real hardcore endgame participation. On that score, GW2 max-level mindless zerg of zerging zergerginess is exactly what I want my involvement with raids to be.

iannis

Musty Nester
This might be just my opinion, but it's a completely treadmill quest driven system. If you don't mind quest driven content where there is essentially a single path through a zone then rock on. I'm done with that sort of gameplay. I don't have any interest in themepark games anymore. Especially once 90% of the world is useless once you hit max level.
Supposedly you're going to be getting xp for pvp as well. They do seem to be allowing for some alternatives to the quest treadmill.

But it's really not even an opinion. It is without a doubt a quest treadmill driven game. But it really is a -big- themepark. Depending on where they want their xp curves to be, they do have enough content to allow for a replay or two for alts without having to go ride on the same rides again. Even if, that is probably a fairly significant con for a lot of people.

Another significant pro: A commodities broker with BUY orders. Eve is the only other MMO i've ever seen with them, and it's redonkulous that devs are THAT lazy. So that's a thumbs up for the wildstar/carbine crew.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Leveling and exploring the world has been my favorite part of every MMO I have played since EQ. Every game after that figured out that leveling consisting of sitting in one spot and repeatedly killing stuff was less than what it could be and opted for a more curated experience in that regard, i.e. quest hubs and disguised grinds. Even SWTOR wasn't too bad until I neared max level and swore if I had to run 5 min through another shitty spaceport I was going to drive to Austin and punch someone in the face. Once I max a character out, though, I generally alt it up again; its the exp/level/statquest gain that generally By the time POP hit, I was so done with x mandatory nights a week of DKP Guild Drama BS that it has really killed my desire to take part in any real hardcore endgame participation. On that score, GW2 max-level mindless zerg of zerging zergerginess is exactly what I want my involvement with raids to be.
...might i suggest passing on this game?

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
...might i suggest passing on this game?
Nope. Chances are if word of mouth stays where it is, I will buy a collector's edition, play and level at least a couple of characters to max, and explore the various parts of Nexus. The classes look fun, the combat looks interesting, and the world looks to be worth exploring. There is a ton to do besides end-game raids, and I don't really even mind those as long as I don't have to put up with drama_guild_001 to do it, or commit x numbers of hours a week. In the end, like most MMOs these days, it will be a fun six months or so, less if there are long starports to run through.

So tell me, Byr, et al, why would I want to pass on Wildstar?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hell I forsee hours just spent on the housing. There is so much shit for that, its almost overwhelming.

I really want the ferris wheel + giant keyboard they showed in that housing video. Not to mention the stuff they are not showing.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Oh, runescape had them too.

FUCKING RUNESCAPE.

But no, it's too hard for AAA MMO devs.
GW2 has buy orders and a global AH as well as being able to use it anywhere in the game, just have to visit a broker to pick up your spoils.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
But it's really not even an opinion. It is without a doubt a quest treadmill driven game. But it really is a -big- themepark. Depending on where they want their xp curves to be, they do have enough content to allow for a replay or two for alts without having to go ride on the same rides again. Even if, that is probably a fairly significant con for a lot of people.
Can't put enough emphasis on this. Wildstar is a quest hub game; anyone who doesn't enjoy that style of gameplay will hate the game. There are a crazy amount of quests to do - we're talking vanilla WoW + BC worth to hit max level. The exp earned doing 'other things' isn't viable to level up on (this includes PVP & what little zone events there are).

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Is it a Cataclysm leveling experience or more like vanilla/BC?

I hate how Cata changed the world, every zone has one right way to progress through it, and you mostly couldnt skip ahead because you could rarely take quests in the next hub without completing the previous ones. Vanilla, while quest-led, gave me the impression I had a choice in what I did and didnt, while Cata didnt allow that.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Another significant pro: A commodities broker with BUY orders. Eve is the only other MMO i've ever seen with them
GW2 has it as well. Unless I decide to recycle, every drop I get gets sold there.

EDIT: Mentioned above. Don't open your reply before meeting and hit send after lunch.

Raign

Golden Squire
As has been noted it is very Vanilla Wow, much more so than Northrend/Cata Wow. It is quest driven, though I would argue that grind (if you are down for that) is perfectly viable too though I can't comment much on how viable instance or PVP xp are yet (those generally take an organized group to be 'good').

That said, I have a stress key for anyone still looking if you want to try it out this weekend, stress test starts tomorrow.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider

I hate how Cata changed the world, every zone has one right way to progress through it, and you mostly couldnt skip ahead because you could rarely take quests in the next hub without completing the previous ones. Vanilla, while quest-led, gave me the impression I had a choice in what I did and didnt, while Cata didnt allow that.
I dont know about vanilla wow but in WS you can def grab quests in other areas. Its a little bit more complicated because you also get tasks based on being a settler, explorer, or soldier etc which are in those areas as well.

bayr_sl

shitlord

In so far as Vanilla wow had a lot less bread crumbs to the point where people would often ask "where should I go to level now?" and people would answer with 3-4 zones to choose from, and you could and often times would go back and forth between zones, it's nothing like that.

It's Cata-level bread crumb content: go here, then here, then here, now do these story-relevant quests that actually aren't bad compared to the 50 other shit ones you just did, now advance to the next zone which is basically back to square-one with a different tileset for 50 more inane quests until something relevant or interesting.

I struggle to come up with reasons for this game to exist. It gives me the same vibes as every other game that essentially targeted former wow players, disgruntled or otherwise, a market which has proven to be extremely hard to capture by going down the well-traveled path that Wildstar and games of its kind have tried.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
so basically on-rails quest system which makes you feel like you're playing Dragon's Lair, battlegrounds style pvp which is about the worst form of pvp you can think of and twitch button mashing combat which does nothing to make the game challenging but will increase incidences of carpal tunnel and seizures.