Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Xevy

Log Wizard
The amp's are like a straightforward talent system that give stats rather than abilities. But I was referring more to checking out the Major Tier unlocks of the skills. That is where your play customization can really shine.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The amp's are like a straightforward talent system that give stats rather than abilities. But I was referring more to checking out the Major Tier unlocks of the skills. That is where your play customization can really shine.
In some cases yeah, a bunch of them are similar to AMPs and just do more stuff but don't really change. There is a good amount of customization overall, but at the same time there's very few gameplay changing choices. Most of the choices are what do I want to do better, damage, control or support. You'll spec into tier8 of a certain skill because it does more damage if you want damage, or because it adds a slow if you want control, but the ability still retains its basic properties(ressources, cooldowns and such). In a few cases the tier bonuses change the ability into something else though, removing the cooldown for example, I wish there were more of these, and more AMPs that offered interesting choices other than more of the same. The Hybrid AMP tree tends to have the most interesting stuff in there though, mostly because hybrid isn't really supported without those so they tend to be fairly impactful.

The lack of strong procs and limited action bar does lead to button mashing though. You mash whatever's up whenever it's up, in most cases. Some classes mechanics might require you to make choices and obviously playing healer or tank will have its own set of choices, but in most cases, for most people, it's "press all buttans when fight starts then press stuff as it lights up". Which is not necessarily bad, depth of combat isn't entirely reliant on having large amount of abilities or proc based conditional abilities and such, there's more to it than that and the position and movement based aspect of the combat certainly should make it less boring. Imagine the same combat in a vanilla/BC wow environnement though, with limited movement and shit, and it'd be boring as all fuck.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i agree that the AMP system so far is pretty basic but it is a first iteration and im really hoping they add some more meat to the bones.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I don't mind the AMP system. Anything that improves character customization is a good thing in my mind. It's also important to note that the AMP vendor shouldn't normally have them all for sale like it does now. They're meant to be earned through playing the game - which is a great idea if implemented correctly.

I was going to reply to the posts about how AMPs might remove some of the perception that people have about Wildstar having spammy combat but Pyros pretty much nailed it better than I would have. Neither AMPs or the tiering of abilities will lead to modifying your rotation very much. Wildstar isn't a 'follow an optimal DPS rotation' type of game; the strength of Wildstar's combat will be made (or broken) based on encounter design and it's action combat elements.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
... the strength of Wildstar's combat will be made (or broken) based on encounter design and it's action combat elements.
And whether or not they devote some dev time to making free-mouse look work as well as in Tera. Would work so much better for WildStar over what they have now.

Raign

Golden Squire
And whether or not they devote some dev time to making free-mouse look work as well as in Tera. Would work so much better for WildStar over what they have now.
I don't really get that one (likely because I never play with free mouselook on) but I totally agree with Voldeth's comment. The combat is a lot of fun but it is definitely a system that will make tuning encounters a challenge. It would be MUCH easier for them to slip up and over/under tune an encounter than it is with a straight-up numbers game. As it is, there are 'normal' mobs in the world that have ground effects that are just a half second too short and even with excellent ping/reflexes you can still get caught by them.. it does not take too many of those to turn a raid into an unbeatable wall.

misery_sl

shitlord
Well, from what I've seen the game won't require a lot of computing power when it's fully optimized, so at the least I'll give it a try and base my decision on whether or not I play the game completely on how combat feels. If the combat is not flawless, I'm not even going to worry about the other aspects of the game. They won't even matter at that point.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll give you a hint : this has been done already.
Not quite. There is an add-on being worked on by the community, but nothing has been done to integrate it into the game itself, as far as I know. I was / am hoping that the add-on is built into the game and all its bugs fixed by release.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
well, its bugs will probably be dealt with long before release. Also whats it matter if its built in or add on?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, right now there no way to bind skills to the left-right mouse buttons due to how the UI is setup, so that limits what an addon can do. Carbine would have to make some fundamental changes to the UI and skill loadouts to support the use of skills on mouse buttons, which I hope they find time to do before release.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, right now there no way to bind skills to the left-right mouse buttons due to how the UI is setup, so that limits what an addon can do. Carbine would have to make some fundamental changes to the UI and skill loadouts to support the use of skills on mouse buttons, which I hope they find time to do before release.
I have skills bound to my left / right mice buttons since CBT3 without third party programs. I don't really understand why it would be a UI problem, and I also don't get why they need to make "fundamental changes".

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have skills bound to my left / right mice buttons since CBT3 without third party programs. I don't really understand why it would be a UI problem, and I also don't get why they need to make "fundamental changes".
You're using a special mod? Cause you can't bind them directly at least, and the mod for mouselook doesn't have support for it yet either.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How are you doing that? As for fundamental, right now the game allows you a limited set of abilities to bind to your number keys, by allowing 2 of those to be placed on LMB/RMB, it would alter the UI setup, so the UI dev would need to change how the hotbar functioned when the "free-look" system was enabled, that is all.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
How are you doing that? As for fundamental, right now the game allows you a limited set of abilities to bind to your number keys, by allowing 2 of those to be placed on LMB/RMB, it would alter the UI setup, so the UI dev would need to change how the hotbar functioned when the "free-look" system was enabled, that is all.
That's not fundamental.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just open the keybindings window and bind them ? I know some people have problems right now getting their mices "recognized" but that was never an issue for me (Steelseries Sensei). As for fundamental, I don't think implementing more keybinds in a videogame could be qualified as "fundamental" at all, but that's just my opinion. I don't really care about free mouse look since it's merely a casual-friendly feature, convenient midway between keyboard turner and people who have the neuromotor capacities to activate keyboard keys while pressing mouse buttons at the same time. I think the game has more really fundamental problems right now than whether or not you get free mouse look built-in. If I wasn't able to use side mice buttons for my 2 skills, I'd just bind them on the keyboard = problem solved.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
when i bind a spell to a mouse button i get the telegraph for it but the skill will never fire.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I can't bind anything to left or right click. I can bind to middle, or to thumb buttons, but not left/right, it simply does nothing in the keybinding menu. That's what we're talking about here, not binding stuff to side buttons, but binding stuff to left and right click, since both would be useless with a perma mouselook mod. Similar to how Tera does it, you'd have your autoattack/builder/filler ability on mouse 1 and dash on mouse 2, then you get to bind more stuff to mouse 3 4 and 5 and on the keyboard. Targetting is done entirely via mouse looking at it so left/right clicks become useless. Don't think you need to rework the UI at all though, you simply show the bindings the current way, not sure why it'd need to be displayed in a way that makes sense for that system, which would be optional anyway.