Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
There have been several fan site contests giving away sets of keys that Carbine has provided. One that sticks out as extra bullshit was the Wildstar quiz.WildStar Beta Key Giveaway - Crack the Eldan Code | Nexus Report

There have been Twitch streamers given sets of keys to give away. There are quiz contests going on @Wildstar today.
There's basically an easy quiz giveaway and the others have you tune into streams and participate in chats at specific times. The quiz one currently involves answering questions about their adventures content and they will only be handing out 50 keys to those with completed quiz'es with all correct answers. It's a real long-shot. All of the others are done or closed by now. Pretty much all of the keys being handed out are for the weekend-long beta.

For those who don't know, those who have been in closed beta are being pressured to level up at least one character to 32+ or they might consider filtering them out of beta around 2 weeks from now. Or it could be by the end of march. I forget. I'm guessing this means there will be multiple giveaways and more additional weekend-long betas to come.

There's basically an easy quiz giveaway and the others have you tune into streams and participate in chats at specific times. The quiz one currently involves answering questions about their adventures content and they will only be handing out 50 keys to those with completed quiz'es with all correct answers. It's a real long-shot. All of the others are done or closed by now. Pretty much all of the keys being handed out are for the weekend-long beta.

For those who don't know, those who have been in closed beta are being pressured to level up at least one character to 32+ or they might consider filtering them out of beta around 2 weeks from now. Or it could be by the end of march. I forget. I'm guessing this means there will be multiple giveaways and more additional weekend-long betas to come.
I can confirm this For those who don't know, those who have been in closed beta are being pressured to level up at least one character to 32+ or they might consider filtering them out of beta around 2 weeks from now. Or it could be by the end of march. I forget. I'm guessing this means there will be multiple giveaways and more additional weekend-long betas to come.[/QUOTE].

For those of us with a few just under 32+ we have to get busy due to that, plus my medical treatments and my colon is so sore it makes my gaming sessions a lot more limited shorter due to it hurts to sit that long or even for short period.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I can confirm this For those who don't know, those who have been in closed beta are being pressured to level up at least one character to 32+ or they might consider filtering them out of beta around 2 weeks from now. Or it could be by the end of march. I forget. I'm guessing this means there will be multiple giveaways and more additional weekend-long betas to come.

I couldn't bring myself to get past level 12 with my medic, doing things in game just felt like a chore that wasn't paying off or amounting to anything.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm

I couldn't bring myself to get past level 12 with my medic, doing things in game just felt like a chore that wasn't paying off or amounting to anything.
From what Ive heard from those in beta solo types are going to get bored quickly. But if you are in a group doing adventures, dungeons, bg's whatever is where the fun is. Players need to group up to really experience the dynamics of how the classes work off each other.

Vitality

HUSTLE
From what Ive heard from those in beta solo types are going to get bored quickly. But if you are in a group doing adventures, dungeons, bg's whatever is where the fun is. Players need to group up to really experience the dynamics of how the classes work off each other.
I did my fair share of grouping, and it was still a chore, we were literally completing chores together. PvP BG's were nice and all but they were breaking for a couple days earlier in the week. (Loading screen crashed the game) BG's were mainly just a spam fest at that stage in the game anyways, so I wasn't missing out on anything paradigm shifting.

Devnull_sl

shitlord
At what level can you begin doing adventures and dungeons? Before 15?

spronk

FPS noob
you can start pvping at like level 6 or 7 too (small battlegrounds basically, no mounts i think?) dunno how good the bg's are for xp though

Devnull_sl

shitlord
15 is the first adventure, I think the first dungeon is 20....
So, at minimum, 15 levels of mind numbing tutorialized gameplay that explains how to play a standard fair MMO followed by an hour or two of solo quests? Unnnnnngg. But then you get the good part.

Barab

So, at minimum, 15 levels of mind numbing tutorialized gameplay that explains how to play a standard fair MMO followed by an hour or two of solo quests? Unnnnnngg. But then you get the good part.
not really but whatever you want to believe

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
it's not the second coming of WoW, but I was enjoying the spellslinger and getting into the grind. I can totally get it if the game just doesn't appeal to others though.

I enjoyed solo'ing one of those quest mini-instance things at lv 12. If you fight mobs that are a few levels higher early on, it's easier to appreciate the combat. I went and tried 3-4 other classes for a short period of time on sunday afternoon. It was a small taste of what they had to offer. Normally I never make many alts in MMO's but yeah, the spellslinger was alright for me. Anything is better than ESO's sorceror

Devnull_sl

shitlord
Vitality_sl said:
Barab_sl said:
But if you are in a group doing adventures, dungeons, bg's whatever is where the fun is. Players need to group up to really experience the dynamics of how the classes work off each other.
not really but whatever you want to believe
Well that was snippy. I'm just believing what you're saying. If the group content is where the fun is and you can't access it until 15, what are the first 14 levels like?

Devnull_sl

shitlord
I enjoyed solo'ing one of those quest mini-instance things at lv 12.
Cool, I can definitely get into some grinding. I'm just concerned with how many people have said the early game is boring as hell. Mini-instance thing at level 12? That sounds way more interesting. Is that separate from the adventures?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looks like they are letting streamers do up to 29 content now. Wonder if they will just slowly show more and more.

Barab

Well that was snippy. I'm just believing what you're saying. If the group content is where the fun is and you can't access it until 15, what are the first 14 levels like?
Sorry, from what I gather the first 6 lvs are the tutorial, 7-14 are branching out into pve zone quests, crafting quests, home instance introduction, Battle Grounds from 6-14 etc. Other people seem to suggest the experience in Battle Grounds, even if a cluster fuck of newbs, is fun at times and a decent leveling experience. But like other's have said it's subjective.....

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
Cool, I can definitely get into some grinding. I'm just concerned with how many people have said the early game is boring as hell. Mini-instance thing at level 12? That sounds way more interesting. Is that separate from the adventures?
The tl:dr version is that I mostly was staying ahead of the exp curve and out-leveling quests, but when I did fight mobs or did quests 1-3 levels higher than me, it was pretty enjoyable. I'll elaborate on the quest, then I'll summarize the lv 1-15 content thoroughly if you give a shit and want to read through it all. Deal?

As a lv 11 I stumbled upon a lv 14ish quest that put me on a ship into space heading to an asteroid colony. On the way there space pirates boarded my ship and it was actually difficult to hold off the waves and adds on my own. I had a soft timer to deal with because the optional objective was to intercept the smaller adds that would run in and try to steal the ship's cargo. You could either kill off 8 or so big adds to move to the boss phase or quickly kill off the thief mobs before they take all of your shit. There was also a random health power up that would spawn that added an extra dynamic to the event. I actually died once and I completed the quest with 2/15 cargo remaining. You get this feeling that you can only attempt this once on the way to the colony so it was fun as a solo. Since i got the optional objective, the npc gave me a merc npc that helped me kill mobs after landing on the asteroid.

When I got on the asteroid, I killed a number of mobs then encountered some npc's in trouble. The environment was pretty sick because the whole thing felt like an Aliens ripoff and the ambiance actually impressed me. Basically you go through this derelict installation and you find dead colonists and larva parasites burst out of thier corpses to attack you. Later on, the mob packs were semi-difficult and the big mobs right before the boss were a pain in my ass. I actually died a few times and I remember thinking to myself "You fucking noob, you should have picked up your two new skills before stumbling into that quest npc."

The whole premise of this game that makes it slightly more difficult than tera or GW2 is this: Yes, there is dodging, but that doesn't mean anybody (like a fucking Tera Archer) can solo tank/solo mobs like they do with BAM's in tera just because you are pro at dodging. The white damage in this game puts a soft timer on any fight or mob that you can't blow up right off the bat. It's worth mentioning that some of the casuals on the beta forums are say they can't handle the white damage in some areas of the games at different ranges past lv 20. personally I think a simple respec will solve those issues even for a bad player.

So the mobs right before the boss encouraged me to figure out a rotation to burn the mob down in a reasonable amount of time with a pure dps skillset. I'm sure I might have been able to equip a shield or heal in one slot, but that would have hurt my dps. The boss itself was a little easier than the big mobs next to her, probably because I got in a groove and busted my ass a little bit. Keep in mind I was having fps issues so the lag was making it even more tricky. More on that later.

Anyways, that was just one quest and I'm not trying to sell the game on just one quest (lv 14,) but it was pretty cool considering it wasn't even an adventure (lv 15) or a dungeon (lv 20.) It was a pleasant surprise honestly.

I'll try to avoid sounding like I'm on payroll, but here was my experience with the 1-15 content since a couple of you were interested.

I rolled Spellslinger Explorer at random and I didn't think I'd like it. I heard a lot of shit about classes from others in this thread. Overall, W* classes aren't as engrossing as WoW classes, but they are still pretty fun honestly. As far as paths go, the explorer path overall kind of impressed me. It's more than jumping puzzles and isn't as boring as you think. You can actually bring yourself or group mates into mini dungeons with tougher mobs and a mini boss at the end, which was pretty sick. The solider path might even be the most boring tbh, which isn't what you expect.

The tutorial itself was a very bad experience only because of the shit fps I was getting. The game isn't fully optimized yet, so you might have to set the target render to .75 or .5 if your computer is more dated, which will make the screen more blurry. I was pretty butthurt about the frames per second issue and I almost wanted to stop playing right there and not think about buying the game, but I stuck with it. Turning down the target render and also running the game by using the 64 bit client on startup helped a ton. One beta forum nerd mentioned that the game always runs the 64 bit client, but it still helped me out so don't quote me on that. The first time you play the actual tutorial you might enjoy it. You will probably loathe doing it on multiple alts though. I liked the dominion tutorial more for what its worth atmosphere-wise. The tutorial, along with the rest of the game is very formulaic. I'll explain more about that at the end.

Depending on your class choice, you might not get a feel for your class within the first 5 or 10 levels. This isn't tera where you are blessed by having a fun tutorial that showcases all of your skills up to level 20. The esper is a good example of early level misrepresentation. Your stock lv 1 skill is actually a stationary cast, meaning that you have to stand still to cast it. I actually died in the tutorial because 1. I forgot to pick up the quest to equip my weapon since it was my 3rd character and 2. most of the skills in this game are freeform skills that you can use while moving around. My guy wasn't attacking because I was moving and the other lv 1 skills are freeform and spammy as hell. At first glance the esper class looks like a boring ass caster with a WoW rogue combat point mechanic. The good ole "spam sinister strike then hit eviscerate to kb the mob" routine. It's actually not like that later on because the esper gets a shitton of skills that make the class pretty god damned mobile and annoying to deal with.

The spellslinger, on the other hand, had a solid mage archetype vibe right from the start. You basically have a nuke skillset along with a varied heal skillset coupled with WoW Frost mage utility spells (Frost Nova, Cone of Cold, etc etc.) You get all of these skills before lv 12, so it's pretty fleshed out early on. You can choose from two starter areas after the tutorial and I enjoyed those zones and their atmospheres. The moment you get to the 2nd tier zones, the quests don't make you feel like you are on rails even though they have various hubs.

You can also just go out of your way and clean out all of your path quests before everything else, which I did first. In the tutorial and the first starter area, it's braindead easy to complete all of the path stuff, but the moment you reach the 2nd tier zones, the zones get much much larger and more open. There's plenty of quest and path content, maybe even too many quests. You can very easily outlevel the quest content if you are a completionist type in the 1-15 bracket. You can grind if you want with challenges or just plain grind mobs, which I also did. If you are a grinder, just run ahead and start killing yellow and red cons and you will be golden. I have no clue if the content gets worse later on. I've heard mixed reports. Some people say the game gets to be more like "Kill xx Mobs" where others say otherwise, but the content is there and it's available for digesting. It's not like they are hiding that shit from us so that's a good sign.

Keep in mind that the game's early content is very formulaic though. Both tutorials have the same stages and are basically mirrored. The first starter zones have a hub layout, while having a theme or story that revolves around a conflict building up towards a clash with the opposing faction. The quests and environments are different and varied which is pretty solid, but the structure is similar. Even little details like having a easy miniboss mob, near the end of those 4 starter zones, that drops a blue quality weapon remain the same. Once you hit the 2nd tier and beyond, shit gets pretty damn open though.

I'm a little bummed that I can't give you a final verdict on the game since I didn't level too far, but I can say that I kind of miss the game already since I'm not in closed beta. I have no interest in logging on ESO again after trying W* and I'll just be playing other games in the meantime.

Sorry, from what I gather the first 6 lvs are the tutorial, 7-14 are branching out into pve zone quests, crafting quests, home instance introduction, Battle Grounds from 6-14 etc. Other people seem to suggest the experience in Battle Grounds, even if a cluster fuck of newbs, is fun at times and a decent leveling experience. But like other's have said it's subjective.....
I can't say that the first battleground or the PvP is anything amazing. It's a weird WSG clone with 5 flags that spawn one by one in the center and you can pile all of your flags at the base. My experience is that the team with too many heals and not enough DPS loses every time. There's nothing more silly than a medic running the flag healing himself with a bunch of bads trying to kill him. It's worse than a geared WoW Disc priest laughing at you while he books it across the field. The PvP isn't looking that great at first glance.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's interesting that you enjoyed that space colony quest so much. That's the point where I definitively decided that Wildstar fucking sucked. I go to the alien planet or whatever it was and apparently ran in the wrong direction. Ended up just lost and with no idea what I was doing. I cleared out the cave that I'm assuming you're supposed to go to. Overall I wasted about an hour trying to figure out what the fuck I was doing, before I figured out I was supposed to turn left instead of right and head into some building.

Made it through there, dying a few times (even though I was 1-2 lvls higher than all the mobs), and finally made it back to the cave. The quest shit never told me why I was going to the cave, and never got whatever update I was supposed to get (probably because it was already clear). So the whole thing was bugged out and I just said fuck it and abandoned the quest.

It sounds like I'm complaining because I wanted my hand held. That's partially true only because I wasted so much time wandering around trying to figure out where to go. But mostly, I was annoyed because the theme park aspect was so awful that it wasn't apparent why I was even there. And when I did figure it out, the ability to free roam broke their shit game.

Also, addressing the 1-2 levels higher than mobs, I believe part of what soured me on the game was my class. I had read some things that said warrior was awful, so I decided I'd roll up an engineer. Apparently that was a bad choice because it sounds like they're the true gimp class.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure how you get lost at all in this game. It tells you and shows you exactly where to go and what to do. Also engi is fine. Maybe you are bad?

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
Also, addressing the 1-2 levels higher than mobs, I believe part of what soured me on the game was my class. I had read some things that said warrior was awful, so I decided I'd roll up an engineer. Apparently that was a bad choice because it sounds like they're the true gimp class.
The one thing I like about W* is that the game can hold your hand if you want it to, but it's not all up in your face like in ESO or other MMO's. Warhammer kinda broke down that wall and WoW followed suite with the first releases of the QuestHelper mod. In W*, You can just click your objective and an arrow appears for a few seconds then fades. I think the only thing I could talk shit on is that there might be too many quests at the lower levels. Your quest tracker is a hefty wall of text most of the time, but at least it doesn't make the leveling experience completely braindead with an arrow on a compass telling you to move here and push E over and over.

As far as class balance goes, Warriors, Spellslingers, Espers are fine as is from what I've seen. If you are having issues with getting killed playing those classes, it's your bad. Medics are considered OP by some but at the very least they might end up being sleeper OP. Their damage starts off weak but they are a very complete package. Stalkers are fun and a fan favorite. They are bursty as hell and I imagine they would make really sick grinders.

When it comes to Engineers, a lot of engineers complain about the class. My theory on that is that maybe people are picking engineers to play a pet class, but then they realize later on that they aren't really a pet class so then they focus on the weaknesses. They are supposed to be a tanky ranged class. Their damage is probably the lowest of every class on average, but it's like that for a reason. I personally think they are fine. You might need to change your playstyle up or pick another class. I didnt even get to touch the warrior or engineer, but I've watched that one set of youtubes of the guy playing his engineer and I know first hand that warriors are fine. That streamer wasn't even playing the engineer well but he was managing. You might have issues later on dealing with white damage, but I never played them so I don't know what else to say.