Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
My current biggest gripe with the game is that dungeons are tuned way too hard. Low level dungeons shouldn't be a three hour wipefest but it also shouldn't require you to vote kick scrubs. I've beaten both I have access to as a tank and a dps and it's not fun when you get paired with people who suck. If you want to keep it tuned the way it is and have that be hard mode that you need 5 in order to queue for, that's fine. They are challenging and when I did them with my guild it was fun.

Leveling content shouldn't be shit you have to read strats on for or consistently die. I am betting that the leveling dungeons rarely get played on release because they are not worth the time investment and unless they tone them down they never will be. At level 23 in my premade group it took us 35 minutes to beat KV and we all knew all the fights. It took us 15 minutes to run the adventure. Two adventures got us about 1 more bubble of exp and about twice the cash in less time.

TLDR: Bads make dungeons not worth it. Even without Bads they really aren't worth it.

MossyBank

N00b
So how do you guys think this C.R.E.D.D system is gonna work out? I'm kinda interested in using this system to 'pay' for this game monthly, but it seems it might be better to wait a couple months after it's released to get some of those C.R.E.D.D's circulating on the AH or w/e first? Seems it might be too grindy of a way to pay as well though, depending on how much they will cost.

crimsonsin_sl

shitlord
My current biggest gripe with the game is that dungeons are tuned way too hard. Low level dungeons shouldn't be a three hour wipefest but it also shouldn't require you to vote kick scrubs. I've beaten both I have access to as a tank and a dps and it's not fun when you get paired with people who suck. If you want to keep it tuned the way it is and have that be hard mode that you need 5 in order to queue for, that's fine. They are challenging and when I did them with my guild it was fun.

Leveling content shouldn't be shit you have to read strats on for or consistently die. I am betting that the leveling dungeons rarely get played on release because they are not worth the time investment and unless they tone them down they never will be. At level 23 in my premade group it took us 35 minutes to beat KV and we all knew all the fights. It took us 15 minutes to run the adventure. Two adventures got us about 1 more bubble of exp and about twice the cash in less time.

TLDR: Bads make dungeons not worth it. Even without Bads they really aren't worth it.
Damn filthy casuals.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Damn filthy casuals.
Meh, it's true, for reasons not related to degree of casualness as well - the time taken to clear the newbie dungeons is so long and the xp is so bad that any gear drops are immediately invalidated because you would be several levels higher if you'd just leveled through that same time.

Side effect of buyin to WoW's ilevel system I think - they should be able to have outrageously overpowered items drop while levelling, just so people give a shit about getting them and can keep them for 10 levels or whatever. Implement the boring 0.1% upgrade grind locked into ilvl formulas at max level instead of burying people in 100 completely forgettable trivial gear upgrades per hour right from level 1.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
You can find some lewl-worthy gear, at lower levels through crafting or mob drops, that have procs (e.g. run speed, dots) that make them highly desirable for numerous levels. They are few and far between.

iannis

Musty Nester
The dungeons are really fun to do a few times. The entire idea of skullcano is pretty sweet, and the first time you hit that final boss in the forge-people place is luuuuu *seizure, seizure* uuuuuuls.

But yeah, you'd have to be pretty bored to grind them. Unfortunately itemization is almost as shallow as the class system itself. Which if you think about it for half a second...

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
The dungeons are really fun to do a few times. The entire idea of skullcano is pretty sweet, and the first time you hit that final boss in the forge-people place is luuuuu *seizure, seizure* uuuuuuls.

But yeah, you'd have to be pretty bored to grind them. Unfortunately itemization is almost as shallow as the class system itself. Which if you think about it for half a second...
Yeah, I discovered last night just how much fun Forgemaster is. It felt like I was playing a bullet hell game.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Meh, it's true, for reasons not related to degree of casualness as well - the time taken to clear the newbie dungeons is so long and the xp is so bad that any gear drops are immediately invalidated because you would be several levels higher if you'd just leveled through that same time.

Side effect of buyin to WoW's ilevel system I think - they should be able to have outrageously overpowered items drop while levelling, just so people give a shit about getting them and can keep them for 10 levels or whatever. Implement the boring 0.1% upgrade grind locked into ilvl formulas at max level instead of burying people in 100 completely forgettable trivial gear upgrades per hour right from level 1.
Even in vanilla wow you could live with greenies and quest to cap, levelling dungeons are there for fun/challenge, not for loot. Who the fuck cares about level 20 loot? I vastly prefer wiping and learning my way through a dungeon rather than facerolling so I can "advance" towards... what really? Sure thing havinga level 35 sword from scarlet monastery quest was helpful for... a dozen hours of playing?

Wildstar doesn't give me the impression that I'll need one year and a half to reach the level cap, so if I want to do a dungeon for fun, visuals, taking a break from questing, change of pace, etc. I think it's a goddamn breath of fresh air if it's challenging and I see it as a positive thing, not if it's efficient or not to run it. Honestly, if somebody cannot do some content, well, they should learn or, at the very least, die trying.

I must be one of the few people left in MMOs that play for fun, seems to me everyone else plays for loot and later on for raid loot, even if they have to put their cocks in a meatgrinder to get it.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
You know what's not fun? Wiping to the first boss of STV 400 times because your healer is a retard and doesn't understand the concept that the glowing white things stun the fuck out of him.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Sounds like the dungeons suck dick. Will they all have heroic modes so you can just wait until cap to see them?

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Sounds like the dungeons suck dick. Will they all have heroic modes so you can just wait until cap to see them?
Yes, they have veteran runs. The gear from them is pretty decent. I would highly suggest skipping them while leveling and just doing them at the end. While the challenges are different, there isn't a ton of stuff that's so different that you can't get "the experience".

spronk

FPS noob
it makes me sad that carbine is doing everything right - 10 day open beta for everyone, really good patcher and infrastructure, good dev team, spending months and months on the last 10%, having a massive addon API, etc - but will probably bomb hard in the marketplace because everyone has MMO fatigue after TESO and summertime is a pretty shitty time to MMO. Reminds me a lot of Trion/Rift actually.

just hope ncsoft doesn't bend em too hard when the first month sales numbers come out.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is anyone planning on starting a guild for this or is anyone's guild recruiting for this?

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
really good patcher and infrastructure, good dev team
Yeah 30fps in 32+ zones and warplot design would disagree with your statement. Wildsdtar smells great because Chuas looks awesome and shit, but in the end it's just WoW with bad gameplay and fresh skin.

bayr_sl

shitlord
it makes me sad that carbine is doing everything right - 10 day open beta for everyone, really good patcher and infrastructure, good dev team, spending months and months on the last 10%, having a massive addon API, etc - but will probably bomb hard in the marketplace because everyone has MMO fatigue after TESO and summertime is a pretty shitty time to MMO. Reminds me a lot of Trion/Rift actually.

just hope ncsoft doesn't bend em too hard when the first month sales numbers come out.
They'll bomb because the game is simply not good. I think I read more negative experiences about beta weekends than I do positive ones lately. And it's hard to say they did 'everything right' when they panic re-design their entire combat system and then act like it's some revolutionary system. In another year what they are releasing could be an entirely different game.

As a game it's no better than Rift at launch, if not worse. It's going to have a mediocre reception because it's a mediocre game.

Caliane

you think a 10 day open beta is doing it right?

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah 30fps in 32+ zones and warplot design would disagree with your statement. Wildsdtar smells great because Chuas looks awesome and shit, but in the end it's just WoW with bad gameplay and fresh skin.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I had written this game off as just another log on to the proverbial fire of MMO failure, but I gave it the good ol' college try. I was surprised. This game can actually be challenging and *shockingly* fun. In the end it is WoW 2.0, before WoW itself became a dopey WoW clone/facebook game.