Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I had written this game off as just another log on to the proverbial fire of MMO failure, but I gave it the good ol' college try. I was surprised. This game can actually be challenging and *shockingly* fun. In the end it is Vanilla WoW 2.0, before WoW itself became a dopey WoW clone/facebook game.
Yup, first 20 levels isn't bad. Then you figure how bland the gameplay is, and later you experience warplots, which is amateur game design at its finest : Playskool Alterac. For kids.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yup, first 20 levels isn't bad. Then you figure how bland the gameplay is, and later you experience warplots, which is amateur game design at its finest : Playskool Alterac. For kids.
Bland? How is any worse/better than every single MMO out there? Hell, can't be any worse than TESO.

Also, Warplots seem like a hell of a lot more engaging than running the same battleground over and over again for the next 10 years.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This game isn't marketed to the majority of you. You guys don't even have a market. You hate everything.

Caliane

well it is just a battleground. its not RvR or anything.

I kindof loved alterac.. so saying its just a revamp of that, possibly better/worse isn't really a knock to me...
Haven't gotten there. will need to see how it plays out. Is it guild only? I have to wonder how that will work out. playing the same 2 guilds over and over?
Cost, time, best to just pve and avoid fighting, etc?

An attack/defend arena, where you can lay traps, and customize design IS really intriguing.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game isn't marketed to the majority of you. You guys don't even have a market. You hate everything.
I'm playing TESO right now (which is bad as you'd have guessed) so I'm definitely not the guy who'll hate everything for kicks. To me Wildstar is mediocre as best, with bland combat gameplay (basically WoW with fewer skills, fewer options, fewer combos, tricks, and a lot of AoE spells) and bad design (lol @ 40man raids and Alterac-like Warplot system). I don't really "hate" the game, I've played closed beta and whilst the lvl3-30 experience wasn't awful, right after 20 I was like "yeah that feature is cool but it's better in WoW". Hence my comment : it's WoW, with boring combat gameplay (telegraphs, telegraphs everywhere and limited action bars for "tactical choices" when we all know it's to cater around casual gamers, it's as tactical as chosing how much toilet paper you'll take depending of the consistency of your poo) and a nice skin (Chuas are awesome and I like the comic sci-fi flick).

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm playing TESO right now (which is bad as you'd have guessed) so I'm definitely not the guy who'll hate everything for kicks. To me Wildstar is mediocre as best, with bland combat gameplay (basically WoW with fewer skills, fewer options, fewer combos, tricks, and a lot of AoE spells) and bad design (lol @ 40man raids and Alterac-like Warplot system). I don't really "hate" the game, I've played closed beta and whilst the lvl3-30 experience wasn't awful, right after 20 I was like "yeah that feature is cool but it's better in WoW". Hence my comment : it's WoW, with boring combat gameplay (telegraphs, telegraphs everywhere and limited action bars for "tactical choices" when we all know it's to cater around casual gamers, it's as tactical as chosing how much toilet paper you'll take depending of the consistency of your poo) and a nice skin (Chuas are awesome and I like the comic sci-fi flick).
I can't even hate Wildstar because the engine has performed like shit for me, can't get to the point to really form an opinion on the actual game. I would still be playing TESO if it wasn't such a unresponsive buggy peice of shit. My ideal game just isn't being made and I have a feeling the majority here feel the same.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I can't even hate Wildstar because the engine has performed like shit for me, can't get to the point to really form an opinion on the actual game. I would still be playing TESO if it wasn't such a unresponsive buggy peice of shit. My ideal game just isn't being made and I have a feeling the majority here feel the same.
You should take on boxing, seems to be your ideal game.

Joking aside, have you gotten your hands on Archeage yet?

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
My ideal game just isn't being made and I have a feeling the majority here feel the same.
I've given up on my ideal game. I've come to peace that I'll never see a well made successor to EQ. It's never going to happen. So, then my hope is for these to be a successor to my 2nd favorite MMO, vanilla WoW. Ironically, as much as I dislike cartoonish graphics and the sci-fi theme, Wildstar seemingly is filling this void. It also the most feature complete MMO I've seen at release, ever. Tons of content, pretty good gameplay and some challenge... sign me up.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You should take on boxing, seems to be your ideal game.

Joking aside, have you gotten your hands on Archeage yet?
PLayed the russian beta and really liked it. I just hate the combat. I'm waiting to see what shit they actually have in the cash shop before I drop money on it. I'm not afraid of PTW since it's Trion, I just don't give a fuck about fluffy bunny ears and other cosmetic bullshit. Hoping they have thing like labor points or something of value to me in there.

Del

Vyemm Raider
I don't see how Wildstar is trying to cater to casual gamers when they've put a focus on an endgame that's tuned to be difficult and is the only place to get the best items. Hell, we even have people here who are whining about the level 20 dungeons being too difficult. This isn't a game like WoW where you'll just be handed raid quality loot for logging on. You have to earn it by doing difficult shit with skilled players. You aren't going to be able to pug raids in Wildstar anytime soon.

What I also don't get is how you're trying to hate on Wildstar for being allegedly casual, while acting like WoW is great or at least superior. Seems like a total contradiction to your criticisms of the game. Everyone knows just how casual 2008-2014 WoW is.

And about the limited action bar supposedly making the game casual. Yeah, having 4 hotbars of 40 abilities when you only use 3-5 abilities in most fights is so hardcore, dude.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I don't see how Wildstar is trying to cater to casual gamers when they've put a focus on an endgame that's tuned to be difficult and is the only place to get the best items. Hell, we even have people here who are whining about the level 20 dungeons being too difficult. This isn't a game like WoW where you'll just be handed raid quality loot for logging on. You have to earn it by doing difficult shit with skilled players. You aren't going to be able to pug raids in Wildstar anytime soon.

What I also don't get is how you're trying to hate on Wildstar for being allegedly casual, while acting like WoW is great or at least superior. Seems like a total contradiction to your criticisms of the game. Everyone knows just how casual 2008-2014 WoW is.

And about the limited action bar supposedly making the game casual. Yeah, having 4 hotbars of 40 abilities when you only use 3-5 abilities in most fights is so hardcore, dude.
This is about as shill as it gets.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having a bad opinion about a game isn't necessarily hatred, and being excessive when stating an opinion isn't a great idea either (works for me too). I really liked Wildstar during early closed beta, but right after lvl20, I felt I've hit a "meh" wall. Gameplay feels limited, since you can't take every spell you have to take the best ones, or the less bad ones, depending of your class. Talent trees were "+1spell power" or some uninspired RNG proc. I played a SS, and Spell Surge mechanic felt retarded, it was basically a ON / OFF "normal dps / shitty dps" switch. Maybe I'll try another class during open beta, since latency and input delay was also a problem with performance (played from Europe).

People whining about dungeon difficulty isn't a objective indicator, you'll always find people with extreme opinions, like saying Donkey Kong is racist or Solitaire has shitty mechanics. Also "WoW raid quality loot" doesn't really mean anything nowadays, loot from normal 10 to HM 25 are the same "raid quality", but different item level, and difficulty difference between the 2 formats is huge (at least before nerfs). I guess I shouldn't bring WoW as an example, people get confused when you try to compare basic "WoW-like" MMO features to WoW and some other MMO. My bad ! Next time I'll get other examples.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is anyone planning on starting a guild for this or is anyone's guild recruiting for this?
If you want to raid progression I can hook you up with my buddies. They are going for 40 man and looking to fill 7 more slots. PM me if you are interested.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord

You are missing the point on the level 20 dungeon ranting. As I am not retarded and can stay out of the red shit on the ground and don't have retard skills on my hotbar, I can do it just fine. I have completed both dungeons several times on several different classes and roles. The issue is it is almost uncompletable unless you bring 4 other good players with you. Even if you bring 4 other players with you the experience is bad, it is not fun and the loot is bad therefore the dungeons at low level are not worth playing.

Why is it unfun? Let's take KV for instance. There is a necromancer bitch in the last third of the dungeon, if you do not interrupt her cast called something gay like impending doom, you get a dot debuff that kills you extremely quickly. She has 2 interrupt armor. Unfortunately, half the time her casting bar bugs out because she hits an auto attack mid cast. If someone missed the fragment of a second her casting bar was up, they don't use a stun, the cast goes off and your group wipes on trash.

Del

Vyemm Raider
This is about as shill as it gets.
Sorry dawg, why don't you tell me how awesome ArcheAge is instead.

Arcaus, I'm not saying that you're too retarded or casual to do them, but obviously there are lots of casuals out there who can't, which is my point about Wildstar not catering to casuals.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's why you play the one class with 3 interupts(warrior I think it was). Fuck interupt armor, interupt all the things! But yeah the interupt mechanic is fairly prevalent from what I've seen in dungeon design(maybe also in raids) which means you'll need at least one other competent player in your group. And then you need people to at least kinda try to avoid shit, kinda.

I'm surprised lvl 20 content is a problem though, I remember doing it a while ago in closed beta and it was REALLY hard, at least for lvl 20 shit(it was like wow heroics in wotlk or something, so not BC heroics, but still not like your everyday wow dungeon). However since then I heard it was massively nerfed because that was too hard. I guess if you're grouped with real fucking retards though it doesn't really matter how much you nerf encounters that rely on standing out of the fire and interupting big skills, as they'll still fail those.

I would also agree that the game does not actually try to cater to casuals. The focus on 40man raiding and relatively skill based combat mechanics(lots of movement with simpler rotations putting more emphasis on fast paced combat and quick thinking than standing in one spot and hitting your keys in the right order) seems to push the game towards a more "hardcore" demographic. The leveling and housing systems are obviously casual pleasers but I feel they're more here to sell boxes to casuals than to really fully appeal to them. With that said, I don't really know how much more hardcore than wow hard modes it will be. While wow massively appeals to casuals with the LFR shit and flex raids and what not, there's still the 25man heroic mode shit that's, as far as I know, still fucking hard. It's not like wow is only casual loving shit, it's just a lot of casual loving shit and not much difference between casuals and hardcore in terms of rewards. Wildstar seems to mostly remove the casual shit, while not particularily adding much in the hardcore part and in fact making some weird decisions in that regard(the entire class system and limited action bar is fucking shit).

Anyway it's not too bad of a game, it certainly isn't too good of a game either. And that's probably why it'll fail, that and really fucking weird decisions like 40man raiding.