Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
PvP balance seems pretty shit and since they're not splitting pvp and pve, it's gonna be the usual wow shit where classes gets nerfed/buffed for a different reason and fuck one or the other. For example stalkers are pretty much shit in pvp from what I hear, but they're top DPS in raids. That's because they switched all the burst into sustained strong damage, but with the absolute fuckshit range they have in pvp it's impossible to do sustained. Only thing they're good at is aoe pulling people into CC chains.

Was watching some lvl 50 arena streams and it looked pretty fucking terrible. Similar to wow, nothing happens until you have all your cooldowns, and then you try to burst one guy down, with the main difference that you have 6 lives per teams so the matches take like 20-30mins everytime.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Is there any point in crafting in this game if the best gear comes from raids and stuff?
According to Spythe on his AMA on reddit, level 50 low end is crafting gear is close to Veteran Adventures while high end crafting gear is most similar to Veteran Dungeons Gold runs.

Getting gold in a Vet dungeon is really hard to do. From what I've heard, most level 50s in the beta have never done it.

odekthal_sl

shitlord
Getting gold in a Vet dungeon is really hard to do. From what I've heard, most level 50s in the beta have never done it.
it quite is. not only can nobody die plus you need to do all optional objectives/challenges plus you have to do it within a rather strict time limit. (e.g. 2nd boss skullcano has a challenge that needs everybody in the group to never fail the double jump to avoid damage - sounds easier than it is for most people // 1st boss stormtalons lair needs you to never miss the lightning strikes on the adds in phase 2)
on the other hand vet gold adventures way more lenient (mostly by removing the no deaths restriction)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This sounds great and all but will the developers stick to their guns and not nerf the shit out of it. Hell they caved on boob gate, I dunno if they will keep the difficulty ramped up when every other thread will be complaining how hard dungeons are and they can't get gold.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
It's difficult to get with a PUG group. It's not very difficult to get with a group of players familiar with each other. So long as you're not a fresh 50 and have done some regular runs/adventures for gear most decent players won't have an issue.

Del

Vyemm Raider
This sounds great and all but will the developers stick to their guns and not nerf the shit out of it. Hell they caved on boob gate, I dunno if they will keep the difficulty ramped up when every other thread will be complaining how hard dungeons are and they can't get gold.
http://youtu.be/DnmYhKfl1x8?t=19m7s

https://twitter.com/StephanFrost/sta...05512066281472

It remains to be seen if they will cave, but going by those links it seems like the devsget it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Haven't double (D! LOL) checked, but I'm fairly certain big boobz are back in with the new 'body types'.

Cleanse_sl

shitlord
They will cave if they are smart. There's no reason to waste that much dev time for such a small % of the population. Hard and Easy switches and you please both crowds.

Column_sl

shitlord
did the -dx11 switch this morning and that helped my framerate normalize in pvp which was slowing down like crazy.

I have no clue why such an archaic looking game is taxing my Nvidia Titan to 98%

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
After playing it some more, I've kind of changed my mind on the graphics. While initially I thought it looked good (I don't mind the 'cartoon' look), it's not as polished or feel smooth as WoW. It almost feels they are trying to capture the look of WoW but WoW circa 2004, not today (Pandaria zones blow this game out of the water). I played for about 2 hours last night and I just got bored. You can make the level treadmill interesting (I thought FFXIV did a decent job with this) but it feels about as generic as Rift and that's saying something. There really isn't anything interesting and I'm not a fan of games/fans that say 'wait until level xxx' that's when it gets good. An MMORPG needs to have that hook in the first 10 levels, not the last 10.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't double (D! LOL) checked, but I'm fairly certain big boobz are back in with the new 'body types'.
I made some exiles yesterday just to see what their side looked like. With the body type options you now can go for stupidly tiny waist huge boobs or kinda chunky and flat and a bunch of stages in between. I think peoples orginal problem was the only choice was huge boobs highly stylized figure now thats an option which is how it should be.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
They will cave if they are smart. There's no reason to waste that much dev time for such a small % of the population. Hard and Easy switches and you please both crowds.
There was no switch for Baron Geddon, people either learned how to move away with the bomb or got kicked out from the raid. Game remained good and populated enough back then, didn't it?
I don't know why games require a retard mode nowadays, people can learn, at worst they won't do the gold/superachieve or whatever, no need to make everything like modern non-heroic wow (aka a snorefest of epic proportions).

spronk

FPS noob
I just want a Red Dead Redemption-type mmo.

I mean, how hard can that really be to make? Pistols, shotguns, injuns, no magic... make it skill based to level the weapons up. Cook grub, craft with leather skins, ores, have a healer use snake-oil concoctions...

also, dueling would really be dueling. Pistols at dawn or high noon.
saw this recently on steam not an MMO but a mp western FPS, f2p i guess? no idea how good it is
Fistful of Frags on Steam

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
There was no switch for Baron Geddon, people either learned how to move away with the bomb or got kicked out from the raid. Game remained good and populated enough back then, didn't it?
I don't know why games require a retard mode nowadays, people can learn, at worst they won't do the gold/superachieve or whatever, no need to make everything like modern non-heroic wow (aka a snorefest of epic proportions).
WoW was the only game that could really get away with this back in the day; kicking people from raids. Early on the others games tried but later ended up having casuals exit their games due to endgame content being too difficult for most of them. Also in WoW, many HC groups made people have mods like DBM standard so it was "Ready your Consecrate, Dave... Incoming Tail Swipe, Dave... Purge in 10 seconds, Dave." If they scanned you and you didn't have them on, poof.

I don't know too many mmos since other than FFXIV with Coil and their EX Primal modes that if people get kicked from raids for not knowing the extreme mechanics, those games will still thrive. TOR, EQ2, Rift, etc... all those games had tuned up dungeons and the hardcore populations had/have a hard time replacing people that they kept kicking because they won't move out of fire.

You have to remember WoW's place in the typical conversation of most mmos; it's a white whale that will always stand out from the pack in regards to what people will tolerate as well.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
saw this recently on steam not an MMO but a mp western FPS, f2p i guess? no idea how good it is
Fistful of Frags on Steam
I'd like something like that, but not just another re-skinned FPS/CoD frag match. A real mmo. The main problem with an mmo like that I think will be the storyline though.

Since it would have to be reality-based (no nebulous alien race threatening you, no real 'us vs them' vibe for factions) it would be severely limited in what it could do. The best idea I can think of would be the world as a Western territory post-Civil War where lawlessness thrived. It would have to be more of a sandbox where the "Clary Gang" guild could buy a plot, build a hideout/saloon/fort in case the rival "Dirty Johnson Brothers" guild decided they wanted to expand. This really only leaves it only real option to be made as a PvP sandbox/park and we know how well those do. :p

The most obvious solution to a portion of it would be using Indians as a faction but imagine the shitstorm coming from that bit of political incorrectness so that would be ruled out right from the start. Even having other countries like France, Great Britain, Mexico and Spain as the 'bad guys' would be problematic because then you effectively lock out your European interests.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I saw some high end raid armor and it looked really bad. Their art style is all over the place. I suppose I should be worried about getting past level 10 before I worry about raid gear though.

I wish a Wildstar dev would brave these stomping grounds and try to justify the tutorial. At the point you're promising a skip it option, you've made the concession that enough people think it's shitty and should go away andmaybethey're right. It's my dream that one day an MMO developer will get how to gracefully handhold instead of this "I'm going to crush your fucking fingers" death clutch they currently embrace.

While the rest of the industry smartens up and eases off, MMO devs continue to follow the Skyward Sword model.

Rime

<Donor>
GMG has a voucher on their main page that will take 20% off of Wildstar Standard ($48) or Deluxe ($60).

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I wish a Wildstar dev would brave these stomping grounds and try to justify the tutorial. At the point you're promising a skip it option, you've made the concession that enough people think it's shitty and should go away andmaybethey're right. It's my dream that one day an MMO developer will get how to gracefully handhold instead of this "I'm going to crush your fucking fingers" death clutch they currently embrace.
Why would they need to come defend it? They have stated publicly that they realize it's an issue and have conceded to offering the skip it option as obviously recoding the whole experience in two weeks is not going to happen. Last time I timed my leveling path the tutorial on the "more difficult Dominion side" was just short of 12 minutes. For a game I expect to play several hundred hours of, 12 minutes isn't going to kill me.