Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Caliane

Something to consider when trying to heal in this game.
Pugs are a giant pain in the ass.

The dodge mechanics, the ground aoe telegraphing, and even many skills outright displace the character.
Players run around like idiots constantly. Trying to land heals on these idiots can be infuriating.

Column_sl

shitlord
Esper: Most traditional healer, you have targeted heals/aoe heals, long range (25-30y iirc), decent mobility. Very similar to Swtor Sorc healing.

SS: highest range, very few targeted healing, most of its is aiming, smart healing. less aoe healing. Some dmg/heal abilitie (as in if u aim at mob and pplayers it will dmg the mob and heal the players obviously).

Medic: short range healer, its generally used to heal melee groups. U can restore shields as well, its very mobile, has some very nice group buff i believe.

now im not really expert on healing, but from what i gathered all 3 can heal vets np, guess medics are the hardest one to heal with on small scale (again hard is subjective) while esper are the easiest one. SS are on middle.

Anyway the consensus its all of the 3 healers are viable, both for small and large scale healing. What change is playstyle, and basically the size of your telegraph healing (ss long and narrow, medic short and wide etc etc.)
Cool thanks for the overview.

I've played medic to 40, and Esper to 15.

I really like the mobility of the Medic, but the heal range has been really shallow so far.

Does Esper get more mobile later? because the early skills seem to ground you.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Something to consider when trying to heal in this game.
Pugs are a giant pain in the ass.

The dodge mechanics, the ground aoe telegraphing, and even many skills outright displace the character.
Players run around like idiots constantly. Trying to land heals on these idiots can be infuriating.
Hehe I had some fun with this. I also never noticed it in when mass healing in pvp likely because I was dying often enough it was not an issue but apparently medics have a secondary resource bar that when its out you simply cannot heal at all until it regenerates. Now combined wasting heals trying to heal people running around with chickens with their heads cut off and then flat sprinting from fight to fight I was getting into serious danger level by the last encounter in the adventure where I had to be super cautious about throwing heals or risk not being able to throw any heals. The funny thing if people just went at the normal movement speed between fights it probably would not be a huge deal because the bar does regenerate pretty fast but not if you are chaining one fight to the next with no gaps inbetween.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cool thanks for the overview.

I've played medic to 40, and Esper to 15.

I really like the mobility of the Medic, but the heal range has been really shallow so far.

Does Esper get more mobile later? because the early skills seem to ground you.
Espers get more mobile later on they still have a lot of their longer range powers that make you stand still but you can go completely without those if you want. Even at level 13 or so I could run a hotkey bar with builders and spenders that all allow normal movement. That said I tend to keep a stationary heal and a stationary psi builder on my bar because they are super long range and good ways to start a fight or heal somebody who is derping around.

For PVP I like medics more but I can really see the forum love of espers in pve because with everybody bouncing around like crack monkey having some targeted heals makes their healing a lot less wasteful and less likely to run dry by the end of an adventure than a medic.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Telegraphs and the "red circles of death" is the laziest form of raid design.
I'm not sure if we watched the same RAID video but to me that looked like something some Asian-Chinese-Korean Grandmaster Ikaruga player came up with to pass his free time.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every raid encounter from FFXI that I remember was all about which abilities you used and which combos you used with other classes. You usually did sit in one place but it was never tank'n'spank.

From Vanilla WoW: Razorgore, Vaelstraz, Garr, Rag, Twin Emps, Four horseman, and on and on... only a few of the raids had the telegraph/laser design like C'thun.
You playing this? I dont think I am but if you need a progression guild a lot of our guys are with a friend of mine.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
After playing through the dungeons, I pre-ordered this thing. Something amusing MMO-wise to do besides farming Siege for Heirlooms and Heroic Tailtip #4. 2 other guildies are picking it up, so at least we'll have the core of a dungeon group before having to deal with randoms. 40-man raiding seems a long, long ways away, logistics-wise, coming from 4 years of 10-man Heroics and trying to get even that many people to keep their attendance % up.

I do like that at least a few of the veteran testers on the forum appear to not be drooling fanboys, and have decent information at their fingertips.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lasers and other gimmicks are not good raid design, they are the ultimate in laziness.
Even Tera gets tiresome after a while, because its all a version of 'watch for enemy clue, time an ability, dodge' over and over but even they atleast didn't resort to red circles and shit all over the ground, which is the lazy way to go about things.

Good mmo raid design means a lot of coordination that has to happen and decisions that need to be made on the fly sometimes because of rng. 4 horsemen in naxx is a good example but there are plenty others. I'm just going to use ffxiv as an example because its most recent in my memory - this game is also really bad with the circle on the ground shit used way too much. But they did recently add a new raid fight where part of the mechanics involve manipulating towers at different times to with different outcomes. It takes sometime to figure out what works best for your group because depending on towers you do and when, certain abilities can line up and cause a wipe or make the fight much more difficult.the cool result of this is that many groups end up doing the fight in different ways and there's no best solution.

Crazily

N00b
Decided to try beta this weekend and if I have fun I will buy it. I plan on playing the wow expansion but this looks like a good time killer while waiting.

I want to roll healer....trying to decide which one. To bad the mechari can't be spellslingers =/

Xevy

Log Wizard
The red circles aren't the fight mechanics. They're the obstacles you dodge while dealing with fight mechanics. It's like orange cones during the driver test. You can never hit a cone and still fail. But you can also hit a shit ton of cones and fail instantly. But the cones aren't everything you're being tested on.

Del

Vyemm Raider
So I ran Kel'Voreth and the level 30 adventure a few times in the last couple days and ended up winning some FABkits that allowed me to place some dungeons on my housing plot. They were even pretty damn cool. Especially the Abandoned Eldan Test Lab. The platforming section inside was pretty good, and the boss, while not as challenging as the Kel'Voreth FABkit imo, was still just as fun to take on. Both of the bosses in these dungeons felt almost like raid bosses in some of the other MMO's you see these days. I'm probably exaggerating a little bit, but they were definitely interesting and not easy to beat. Downside was the rewards I got pretty much sucked. Still, I can't wait to see the level 40 and level 50 versions of these FABkits when the game goes live. I hope they add more in future updates as well.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I toughed it out to 14 - ALMOST 15 that was considered the goal.

My initial impressions from just the insulting tutorial were absolutely correct. Definitely not the game for me.

If you were a raver in the '90s, you may like it!

Devnull_sl

shitlord
So there's a Raid team AMA going on over at Reddit today.We are the WildStar Raids Team and we designed the most hardcore raids Nexus has ever seen! Ask of Anything! : WildStar

I'm curious to hear some thoughts on the realities of 20/40 man raids with lockouts per raid ID. With the lockouts like that, I can't imagine many spontaneously formed groups using their existing social features. Any group worthwhile will likely have to be a fixed group for the week and no one good enough to be in a fixed group will be able to help with any other group.

Another direct quote "Also, only the really easy encounters in Wildstar would have a dance phase as easy as Heigan's". Maybe I'm underestimating the community here, but it sounds impossible getting a fixed group of 20/40 people together that can do ultra-dances for giant Naxx sized raids every week. Either Carbine is way off about the difficulty or I predict people losing their collective minds over this game.

Basically, will classic Naxx raiding work in a 2014 MMO?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Have to consider that Naxx was done 10years ago(or well 8 whatever). Heigan might have been pretty crazy back then, but anyone raiding at even a decent level nowadays would laugh at it. But yeah doesn't look like casuals will raid shit in this game, which is fine I guess, maybe, not sure how it's gonna look for subs and shit.

Devnull_sl

shitlord
That's assuming the majority of the player base are people that were raiding 10 years ago and not those that learned to raid in the LFR era.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's assuming the majority of the player base are people that were raiding 10 years ago and not those that learned to raid in the LFR era.
I would consider these casuals. If all you're raiding in wow is LFR, then you're not raiding much, so you're fairly casual. Or you have a bunch of alts and raid LFR on all of them, but that's still casual behaviour. And I don't mean casual in the bad sense of the term and more in the "playing to relax, in small amounts" as opposed to dedicating large amount of time and practice to the game. But that doesn't mean you need to have been playing for 10years, anyone doing heroic raids or whatever the fuck they're called nowadays would laugh at heigan because wow has evolved quite a lot and the mechanics are a lot more challenging now than they were during vanilla naxx, at least for most fights(4horsemen I don't know). In fact you kinda saw that with wotlk when their entry raid for the expansion was actually naxx and Ulduar was insanely harder than everything in Naxx(scaling aside). Like Mimiron Hardmode vs Heigan? Shit even Mimiron normal mode.

But yes that's why I said I don't know how their subs are going to look when they're aiming their content at hardcore raiders but most likely will have a lot of casual players too. Casuals will have some stuff to do still, mostly PvP and housing, but there doesn't seem to be a LFR easy mode raid for them to waste time on and pretend they're hardcore, so retention might be a problem. It's kinda early to tell though, so whatever, we'll see.

Column_sl

shitlord
My bitch for today, FUCK the sound of the medic probe heals.

That shit is driving me up the wall. Im going to reroll Esper just so I never have to hear that again.