Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
For me going Exile is probably a sign they did something right Lore wise. Dominion just piss me off. Arrogant as fuck and oppressive to boot. Playing on their side just felt wrong. Not like Dark side of the force wrong (which was actually fun) but more like douchebag wrong. But Exile's feels a lot more like Firefly to me. Sure we have to put up with hippy tree hugger furries instead of getting crazy rats but there's always going to be something I don't like.

Never needed a miracle patch it either was the style you wanted or it wasn't. But in less of a fanboi tone, there are more battlegrounds coming out but I think warplots are still the same, there have been some performance improvements, but definitely no improvements of any kind that would fall in the category of miracle patch, if you didn't like it before you still won't.
There have been quite a few 'miracle' FPS patches in the last week or two. I don't know if that was going to help warplots or not.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To continue the discussion from the other thread:

This is me with any MMO with a year to play the game or 1 hour prior to launch. My only issue is that the only decent place to read about classes is on the official forums and all the Esper threads are in full desperation mode in the last week. The one biggest Esper advocate is playing an Engineer at release. He's saying that Espers are perfectly raid viable, but he didn't find the playstyle fun. Apparently it's one of those classes that require twice the effort for the same results as an easier class.
Just make a warrior, if the basic lvl1 builder doesn't bother you, than continue leveling it up, it is a decent class. Understand that I say this because that basic lvl1 builder attack has such a shitty animation that I couldn't play a warrior at all. The Esper was a quite fun to play, its stationary builder (TK) was really good, except for being stationary (which will cause minor problems for you throughout leveling), it was also pretty survivable, I liked it. I'm playing a Stalker though, since they seem to be the most balanced.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also in the not sure boat, through beta I was convinced I was going Spellslinger (was my highest beta toon, mid 20's) but that innate sucks. I did like the mobility though. Looked at Esper and Medic as well both were fun but Medic has the range issue (not sure I want to mess with midrange for PvP) and Esper has the stationary issue - and SS was pretty mobile.

I liked Stalker and Warrior was ok but I don't think I want to go melee, at least not out of the gate. Maybe first alt or something.

Salshun_sl

shitlord
To continue the discussion from the other thread:

This is me with any MMO with a year to play the game or 1 hour prior to launch. My only issue is that the only decent place to read about classes is on the official forums and all the Esper threads are in full desperation mode in the last week. The one biggest Esper advocate is playing an Engineer at release. He's saying that Espers are perfectly raid viable, but he didn't find the playstyle fun. Apparently it's one of those classes that require twice the effort for the same results as an easier class.
We have an MMO support group for this. It's called Monk's Anonymous.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They did, added an effect etc. It's a lot nicer than it was 6 months ago for sure. Power strikes animation is sweet now too.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I think one of the bigger mistakes that people are going to make is that there's going to be an overabundance of Spellsingers based on their early game dominance in PVP (1-25). They're a fun class to play and pretty much the opposite of Espers in that they have incredible mobility. With that being said their PVP dominance drops off and they become sub-par DPS later on although they're always good healers. Since most people who play the class won't want to heal, they'll be a whole lot of mediocre DPS Spellsingers out there.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
That's impossible to answer without knowing more about you. Wildstar is probably the best theme park MMO released since Rift and it exceeds Rift in every way imo.

With that being said, if you're looking for an MMO that will revolutionize the genre, this couldn't be further from that.
So how many weeks before the regular posters (who have complained over and over again about themepark MMOs in multiple threads and yet are somehow eager to play this one) start complaining?

I liked vanilla WoW and Rift so based on what you said I would probably like this game. How is it better than Rift? The soul system in Rift gave some classes the flexibility to play tank, DPS and heal. The PVE raid encounters were well scripted as well. If you can explain to me how the class design and PVE raids in Wildstar are better than in Rift then I'm sold.

Vitality

HUSTLE
So how many weeks before the regular posters (who have complained over and over again about themepark MMOs in multiple threads and yet are somehow eager to play this one) start complaining?

I liked vanilla WoW and Rift so based on what you said I would probably like this game. How is it better than Rift? The soul system in Rift gave some classes the flexibility to play tank, DPS and heal. The PVE raid encounters were well scripted as well. If you can explain to me how the class design and PVE raids in Wildstar are better than in Rift then I'm sold.
This game is ass, but my friends are playing it so that means I have to as well, rabble rabble rabble.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't think class design is any better, it's on par probably. I can't speak for Raids, but you can't get any worse than River of Souls and Hammerknell for raid design. Fuck that shit was not fun.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....

Rift launch was the best launch MMO experience I've had. This game doesn't have the dynamic leveling experience. What it does have is a cartoony humorous aesthetic and much better combat. If it is as much fun as my first few months of Rift then it has done a damn good job.

TheYanger

The combat is vastly more entertaining than Rift. Rift levelling at launch was awesome because the swarms of people just rifting all over the place felt fucking alive. Then you started doing dungeons and raids, and if you try to level now it's completely dead.

Murked

I played an Enhance/Resto Shaman for most of my WoW career, what class in WildStar is similar? Medic?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is ass, but my friends are playing it so that means I have to as well, rabble rabble rabble.
This makes no sense to me. Is this game the only place you can play with your friends or communicate with them? Just seems so sheep like, well my friends bought it so I will even though I think it's "ass".

I think one of the bigger mistakes that people are going to make is that there's going to be an overabundance of Spellsingers based on their early game dominance in PVP (1-25). They're a fun class to play and pretty much the opposite of Espers in that they have incredible mobility. With that being said their PVP dominance drops off and they become sub-par DPS later on although they're always good healers. Since most people who play the class won't want to heal, they'll be a whole lot of mediocre DPS Spellsingers out there.
You know I don't think I've seen a single healing spellslinger.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I was just going over stuff to make sure everything was ready and just noticed there was no exception in windows firewall for Wildstar. I haven't gotten the greatest fps considering my rig and my question is could that have something to do with it? I've checked and none of my cores are parked my power settings are all set to high performance and changing graphical settings in game don't really have any effect on anything fps wise. I usually have bad fps when a lot of characters are around espcially in that first control point battle ground where I am getting only 25 fps.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played an Enhance/Resto Shaman for most of my WoW career, what class in WildStar is similar? Medic?
Nothing is really similar. Everyone heals on the move and mostly AE heals based on a telegraphed area. Iirc esper is the only one with a single target heal, where you actually click a unit frame/nameplate and stop to cast a heal.

All I remember bout resto shamans is totems, chain heal and that ground based heal, so ignoring totems, every class AE heals and its all ground based :p

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I don't think class design is any better, it's on par probably. I can't speak for Raids, but you can't get any worse than River of Souls and Hammerknell for raid design. Fuck that shit was not fun.
I was referring to the scripted boss encounters in Rift, not the hassle of actually clearing the entire raid dungeon. IMO of all the MMOs I have played WoW and Rift are the top 2 in terms of having well scripted raid encounters that forced players to execute the boss strat correctly or they would die and the raid would wipe. Granted mods like DBM dumbed it down a lot for WoW but it doesn't change the fact the boss encounters were very complex.

Everything I have read about this game is that it is a return to vanilla/TBC era WoW raiding. If accurate, that is a positive IMO.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
If you can explain to me how the class design and PVE raids in Wildstar are better than in Rift then I'm sold.
Rifts soul system was an illusion of freedom/control. There was always one or two specs that were superior in every way and required you to play that way in order to perform at the top. During it's heyday (HK) warriors used the RW spec, rogues used MM for range or NB/whatever for melee, mages used pyro for DPS or chloro for healing and clerics either healed with warden/sent or played icar roles. The only class that had a truly deep/difficult rotation were mages.

If you're looking for me to convince you that Wildstar's class design is deeper, I'm not going to. It's not. It's more of the same - there's 1-2 optimal specs per class that require you to memorize a rotation and understand basic priorities (if above X energy use Y ability, if X situation presents itself activate Y innate, etc). Some people will be good at it and top meters while most won't.

The PVE raiding in Wildstar has a lot more depth to it. In Rift, the scripted system was indeed pretty cool however it was always the exact same fight without change. Sicaron would drop the totems every X seconds and would require your members to move to a set location for optimal stacking, you'd need to time heal/tank CDs for his breathe which would always occur exactly X seconds following the engage. Akylios waves would come every X seconds and, if you timed things correctly, you could make sure that wave/breath never lined up because they're on a set pattern that start at a set percentage of Akylios' health. Wildstar's raiding is built differently - it has similar scripting to Rift however it also adds some random elements to make encounters play out differently. Those random elements are placed there so that you can't treat the encounters in a set way - at some point some raid members will need to react and think for themselves as to how to best handle a situation. While that isn't in every raid encounter, it's in some of the ones that I've done and the devs have been pretty adamant that they're going to continue designing based on that.

At the end of day, I'm not looking to convince you. It's up to you to decide for yourself.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
For those of you playing how does it "feel" for lack of a better word to only have 6 classes? It just seams like they should have at least 8 to start but that could just be me being stuck in my EQ1 ways.