Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All this time to play and try classes and you are here 12 hours to go and have no idea what to play? I didn't realize we had no many woman on this board.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
All this time to play and try classes and you are here 12 hours to go and have no idea what to play? I didn't realize we had no many woman on this board.
It's between stalker and warrior so I do have an idea and go fuck yourself
biggrin.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm officially in crisis mode for what class to play. Another reason I hate class systems and prefer games with systems like Archage and TSW. I'm just too much of a waffler.
This is me with any MMO with a year to play the game or 1 hour prior to launch. My only issue is that the only decent place to read about classes is on the official forums and all the Esper threads are in full desperation mode in the last week. The one biggest Esper advocate is playing an Engineer at release. He's saying that Espers are perfectly raid viable, but he didn't find the playstyle fun. Apparently it's one of those classes that require twice the effort for the same results as an easier class.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
To continue the discussion from the other thread:
I'm officially in crisis mode for what class to play. Another reason I hate class systems and prefer games with systems like Archage and TSW. I'm just too much of a waffler.
This is me with any MMO with a year to play the game or 1 hour prior to launch. My only issue is that the only decent place to read about classes is on the official forums and all the Esper threads are in full desperation mode in the last week. The one biggest Esper advocate is playing an Engineer at release. He's saying that Espers are perfectly raid viable, but he didn't find the playstyle fun. Apparently it's one of those classes that require twice the effort for the same results as an easier class.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
To continue the discussion from the other thread:

I've gotten past what's the best or most powerfull. I look at abilities to me that are fun and is the class viable. I found the warrior and stalker to be fun and have abilties I like so there is the problem.

For what it's worth my wife got an epser to around level 25 and I tried it out a bit. I found it a lot of fun and destroyed people in PVP with it. I initially gave up on my own esper because of the "what do you mean I got stand still" shit.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I only played this game up to level 20, and that was like 5 betas ago when even the closed beta cap was level 17 or 20. So my experiences are very limited to what the game looks like today. From my research, like you mentioned, Espers are in a weird place because of mobility issues on the dps side of things because their innate ability roots them. I had fun at low level, but would I have fun at high level?

When I played the Esper Class, their melee ranged spammer ability was given to you at level 1 instead of TK. That should tell you something.

This by far is not the safest bet in my opinion. I just think the Esper has some cool looking abilities.

Now again, like you said, the Warrior has some great raid dps and excellent raid utility not to mention great mobility and PVP potential. And they got buffed with tanking.

Rhetorical question: How do you choose?
This thread is so far full of misinformed bullshit. The best way to learn about what you REALLY want to know? read the DPS theorycrafting shit on the official forums for the classes.
For instance"Engineer is like a hunter cause it has pets" = useless fucking info.

Engineers use a rotation where you have a 100 point resource cap and due to amps and ability points the way you ACTUALLY play is by hovering between 30 and 70 volatility - you passively gain it when you're in that 'golden' zone and that way you don't use a real builder at all, just longer cooldown builders and your innate. You spam electrocute a lot and drop bio shell or maybe auger occasionally because of a debuff you can get. The reality is it's a class that relies on resource management because it's like an auto-regenning runic power setup. Going over won't fuck you too much, but it is a loss of dps since it's costing you volatility by being outside of the range, going under will hose you. You also have a proc you mash when you crit, it's off the gcd and is basically a free damage proc you have to pay attention to. It's fun.

Espers are like seal fate rogues - CP mechanics and basic rotations, with super basic lack of things like procs or anything 'interesting' beyond trying to move as little as possible. There are on the move versions of their shit so you can be a baddie and use those, but the dps is lower. This is the only TRULY underdeveloped class.

Warriors you basically max your kinetic energy, and dump it on power strikes. There's a proc to refresh your power strikes cooldown, but you want to always be full KE before you use it or something (this is me glancing at the sheet since I didn't play it as much), use your innate to stay at full if it procs early or something. Their rotation is 'simple' but they have the most slots for utility abilities iirc which is a nice perk of the class.

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah I'm being such a big flip flopper with class too, which is kind of strange, most MMOs I have a good idea what I'd like. I admit I didn't use the beta time to try many of them, was too busy playing marvel heroes last few months. Seems like Warrior is one of the fall backs for a few people here, and is the one I am leaning towards as well. Stalker is probably the next step down, but looks like it'll be a 3 AM decision for me...

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
For what it's worth my wife got an epser to around level 25 and I tried it out a bit. I found it a lot of fun and destroyed people in PVP with it. I initially gave up on my own esper because of the "what do you mean I got stand still" shit.
What is the design rationale for making one class so stationary while every class is mobile? Is it because their abilities, once you are able to fire them off, do more DPS than the other classes?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Personally I know I can rule out the Stalker, Medic and Engineer for personal reasons. I didn't like the Medic playstyle, I don't want to play a Rogue type of class the Stalker represents. The engineer is really fun to play, but I don't want to play a perma-pet class. Either because I have to deal with resummons when mounting or death, or bugged AI.

I never gave the Spellslinger a shot, but the abilities never looked interesting to me. That leaves Warrior or Esper. I want to play an Esper because they look fun to play, but I really want to play a Tank. Choices.

TheYanger

I'm not angry, but you're asking for help and getting answers that you could get reading the "Class info" page on the official site, which isn't helpful at all unless the look of the class matters more to you than the gameplay. Was more an exasperation than any rage at anyone. I wish it were simpler, but it's really not, you don't get any clue how any of the classes really play at higher levels without just diving into those threads, so 30 posts of the blind leading the blind is only going to result in a lot of unhappy players, which sucks for everyone.

Keep in mind what I posted is only related to DPS, and since Engy is what I stuck with I know WAY more about them than the rest, so it's mostly an example. Realistically, most of us will be DPSing at the end of the day, especially tank classes, so it seems a bit more relevant. Tanking/healing are obviously quite different.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
What is the design rationale for making one class so stationary while every class is mobile? Is it because their abilities, once you are able to fire them off, do more DPS than the other classes?
Their initial design docs were to make a power stationary caster. That's essentially it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Let's assume I make it to max level which is something that might realistically NOT happen, I'll be spending most of my time in 5 mans and occasionally raiding unless raiding happens after 10pm EST on average. Because of this, I'd want to either tank or heal as a main role. Healing is all find and good, but you're still reliant on a good tank to run the tempo of the dungeon. I just prefer it to be me.

I'll never play this game enough to be allowed to tank in a raid since I'm too old to catass a progression game. Especially with V being a tank himself.

TheYanger

Keep in mind there ARE mobile versions of esper abilities too, they're just weaker in various ways (I wanna say the builder is like, closer range and lower damage for instance). But it's not like they make a 100% movement fight you're in deep shit, but it does suck since nobody else loses a ton of dps doing it (and if you want both on your bars you're giving up utility, but you certainly can do it).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The mobile version is janky. It's on something like a .75s GCD and you hit it once, you do damage, then you need to spam it 2 more times fast to do the full rotation of the ability. You summon like 3 blades and you have to press to shoot off each one. I believe it's a DPS loss because it takes longer to spit off than just spamming their casted skill.

The range, if I remember correctly, is just larger than the warrior builder you get at level 1.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I'm gonna start as an esper and reroll (no pun intended) to a warrior if I find it's either tank shortage or they generally all suck at the game.