Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Personally I wish a topline MMO would come out with a $30+ a month sub if geninue quality support and development was provided. I just don't understand the idea behind the magical $15 dollar amount. I know everyone has different circumstances but I can say I grew up in poverty and managed to still play video games and $15 a month on almost a sole source of entertainment is not exactly going to move the needle in even the most dire circumstances (granted I started working at age 12 and was working 80 hours a week starting at age 14 during summers but I also paid for every single thing I owned or consumed damn near).

Might attract a smaller audience but I bet the rention rate would be higher as they have more committed as long as their was true content development and quality support that far surpasses todays garbage. Give me an updated Vanguard that is repolished and has ongoing support and i'll give you $60 a month in a heart beat.....oh Brad you fucking moron.
I don't see how you think a game with less money coming in is possibly going to be able to have more resources then MMO's now. A $30 sub would actually hurt your chances at quality, not help it.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Personally I wish a topline MMO would come out with a $30+ a month sub if geninue quality support and development was provided.
Everquest did this a long time ago with its Legends server. Stormhammer or whatever. 40 bucks a month for the premium server, increased GMs, dynamic content. I never played on it so not sure how it was, but it has never been tried again in a genre that is essentially a giant copycat system so I guess it didn't work out like they hoped.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Yes. 6 plat on Stormtalon/Dom is going for around 60 bucks on player auctions right now. Similar prices elsewhere. Or you can buy 1 credd from Carbine for 20 bucks and sell it for around 6 plat. Doesn't matter if you agree with gold selling and buying or not, it's gonna happen no matter what you do. This way at least it's a safe transaction for the buyer and seller and actually benifits the playerbase and Carbine. Only thing they need to really worry about is Credd flooding the market from stolen credit cards.
No it isn't. On player auctions it is 15 plat for 18 dollars. Learn to math homie.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Everquest did this a long time ago with its Legends server. Stormhammer or whatever. 40 bucks a month for the premium server, increased GMs, dynamic content. I never played on it so not sure how it was, but it has never been tried again in a genre that is essentially a giant copycat system so I guess it didn't work out like they hoped.
Fairly different premise, their legends server didn't really merit the cost plus it was option based. I'd just be interested in seeing a game just shift the paradigm and move the price point while clearly laying out the deliverables that the higher price point was going to yield. Think of why people leave existing games? Things get stale, poor support, and slow changes to issues that plague the game. If a company can properly address those they have a better shot at retaining players for a longer time which is really where the money is at.

I'd just be interested in seeing some one try it and actually execute properly, but since just about every MMO released failed to even remotely deliver on a finished product nor provide updates in a timely manner I doubt it can be achieved. And for the naysayers, while I agree its more likely to fail then succeed there are plenty of examples in society where people pay for premium quality and considering we are talking about an entertainment source that provides even casual players 10-20 hours a month of entertainment that is hardly a high price to pay for top end quality/service. Unfortunately companies are also greedy and would probably try and minimize head count once numbers were being sustained or slightly drop and the downward cycle would ensue.

Also my secret desire would be drive away some of the fucking idiots that play these games, while granted anyone can be an immature little prick regardless of any other variable I think we can tend to agree the people who are earning their own money and willing to spend abit more for entertainment tend to be easier to play with then the free loaders. There is a reason I don't complain to much about a $20 cover to get into a club and $13+ a pop for a drink and its not because they use a special kind of coke with my Capt'n & coke (funny story I actually got kicked out because I caught them using fucking RC cola one time on a $16 drink).

Anyway I digress, Free to play and the $15 sub model is here to stay, just saying I sure would pay for a higher per month sub if it improved upon the existing model.

Carl_sl

shitlord
This whole conversation about credd has seemingly ignored the concept/fact that in an mmo players are content, so rewarding someone who provides the most content with the ability to avoid payment makes perfect sense. On top of that, yes, of course credd is a means for carbine to sell gold, and the people who buy gold are almost always the people with the least amount of time, or in other words someone you would call casual.

The argument could also be made that F2P draws more players, but johnny leveling his spellslinger to 12 then forgetting the game exists does not bring anything to the game, especially one that's all about end game. You reward those who stick around and get what you can out of those who don't.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think there's room in the market for a 50 dollar a month MMO. If you could could grab even 200k customers, that's a decent income stream, if you're willing to run unique events on a large shared single server.

Another idea could be tiered subscriptions:

40 dollars a month for Lords
15 dollars a month for Vassals.
F2P for Peasants.

Could work well for something like a fantasy EVE-alike territorial control game.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I think there was an article on GMs actually acting like GMs in game instead of just responding to tickets. Letting Gms play boss mobs and unlesh boss mobs in to the world, you know have someone staffed constantly to make the server alive. Something like that could certainly draw a higher sub as long as it had all the other content people want in their mmo.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
The Legends server failed because SOE failed to keep up with all of their promises of what the server would be. It was hugely popular until it basically turned into just another server that you had to pay more for. There is definitely a market of people who would willingly pay more to get better, more dynamic content and support. I think the reason why it hasn't been duplicated is because there are even more people out there that would bitch and moan that people on that server were getting special treatment and it would cause an uproar in the games community.

Xevy

Log Wizard
yep, I certainly can't understand how they don't instantly know whos doing it.
On our server we had a Carbine dude show up in Malgrave and sit on a node and watch the hackers TP to it and he'd just ban them instantly.

Meatus_sl

shitlord
So bots... holy shit there's a lot of speed hacking going on.
Is this everywhere, or only in the higher levels? I haven't seen any yet for myself.
Also heard there's alot of warping from node to node, haven't seen that yet either but heard it's pretty bad for the higher nodes.
Anyway, fuck bots...

rrr_img_70295.png

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I responded to that thread Cougar posted in asking if he'd like to respond to why I'd waited over three weeks for support to help me with game breaking bugs. He didn't reply funnily enough. NCSoft will be the death of this game.

This is possibly the only MMO I've ever played where I'm certain I won't be going back to play ever. Most everything is a B to B+ but combat just doesn't work for me. Tried all but a couple of classes and found the same thing. Might be just me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I played an Esper for about 10 minutes, long enough to know that shit wasn't happening. But I really like engineer combat. lvl 40 now and it is still pretty fun and engaging.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I noticed the Node warping once I got to Wilderun... But they don't seem to bother with Relic nodes... anyone know why?

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I responded to that thread Cougar posted in asking if he'd like to respond to why I'd waited over three weeks for support to help me with game breaking bugs. He didn't reply funnily enough. NCSoft will be the death of this game.

This is possibly the only MMO I've ever played where I'm certain I won't be going back to play ever. Most everything is a B to B+ but combat just doesn't work for me. Tried all but a couple of classes and found the same thing. Might be just me.
I canceled one week before the first billing cycle, yet I set my bar to "90% chance to never look at it again", not 100%. There are 2 or maybe even 3 classes that I like enough, but they are not the one I started with and the sole idea of doing that boring shit quest grind again, makes me puke.
Now, I even like questing games and theme parks, but WS gotta be a fucking joke, where upon handing in 3 or 4 quests, the exp bar hardly moves, quests become light blue and give next to no exp, grinding mobs is a waste of time and dungeons are too few and spread out. There are some gems here and there, especially playing explorer (which I didn't pick as first choice, yay me).
I might just need to go on holiday and pick it up again, not sure, but for now I'm outta here.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I canceled one week before the first billing cycle, yet I set my bar to "90% chance to never look at it again", not 100%. There are 2 or maybe even 3 classes that I like enough, but they are not the one I started with and the sole idea of doing that boring shit quest grind again, makes me puke.
Now, I even like questing games and theme parks, but WS gotta be a fucking joke, where upon handing in 3 or 4 quests, the exp bar hardly moves, quests become light blue and give next to no exp, grinding mobs is a waste of time and dungeons are too few and spread out. There are some gems here and there, especially playing explorer (which I didn't pick as first choice, yay me).
I might just need to go on holiday and pick it up again, not sure, but for now I'm outta here.
I've not had that experience at all, though I've been skipping sim-cores and dungeons and just doing regional/zone stories (and tasks) for every zone. I think I skipped one regional quest on farside to go back to thayd for the drusera quest, but that's it. I also went explorer (which is amazing) and end up just roaming around the zones looking for shit.

Doesn't the "light blue" of the quest coloring meaning you outleveled it (and should move to a new area)?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've not had that experience at all, though I've been skipping sim-cores and dungeons and just doing regional/zone stories (and tasks) for every zone. I think I skipped one regional quest on farside to go back to thayd for the drusera quest, but that's it. I also went explorer (which is amazing) and end up just roaming around the zones looking for shit.

Doesn't the "light blue" of the quest coloring meaning you outleveled it (and should move to a new area)?
I've noticed this too. There is a HUGE diminishing return on doing quests even two level lower than you currently are. I spent three weeks out of the country since launch. Upon leveling my stalker, even with as much rested xp as I had, the exp gain from doing quests at your level or higher is HUGE compare to lower level ones. They aren't even worth doing at all unless you just want the achievements.

That being said... Explorer really is the best path. I don't mind soldier because its usually easy combat is fun. But I look forward to leveling my Spellslinger just for the explorer shit. The quest grind is good. I even laughed more than I thought I would. The quest grind is still a grind. But even playing casually it really isn't that bad. I am by no means in a rush and will probably be 50 by next Monday. Despite being gone for three weeks.