Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
The frustrating thing about this game is that the combat is so incredibly good that it makes all the other shit holding it back completely maddening. The dungeons and raids are literally amazing, but the rest of the game just feels so half-assed. There are so many balance/itemization/everything decisions in this game that just make no fucking sense whatsoever. Yet shit is fun, and hard, and engaging and I don't think I could play another MMO with the old shitty combat system in it. If they get their shit together this could be a game that stands up for a few years...or it could be down the drain in 12 months. Kind of sad.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Carbine's mantra has been over-and-over again, "Raiding is for the top 1%". And it is. Johnny T. NoInterrupt is not going to make it there. Susie Q. Bluegear isn't either.

People feel entitled to raids because of what WoW has done. They're not. This is upper echelon. This is nerd-Valhalla. If you've not bathed in the blood of your enemies in combat to have earned your place here, you're not here.
When the realization hits Carbine that a very large percentage of their playerbase does not fit into that 1%, they (or more than likely NCSoft) will change that mantra real quick.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Think about that one.
Pretty sure he meant "a very large percentage of their dollar income" or similar, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

The funny thing is Carbine does know that already, which makes me wonder what their long term strategy is when that large percentage of income heads for the exits. I'm guessing they have a robust cash shop strategy along with a F2P conversion plan.

spronk

FPS noob
i suspect that the top guys thought everyone wanted TBC-era wow, and against all opinions to the contrary if they released a game with hard raid content tons of people will tackle it with relish and login every night to play and tell their friends to play and the player base would organically grow. Yes, they kept saying its for the few, the 1%, that most people won't hack it, etc but I think they secretly thought everyone will want to do it and this was their chance to prove everyone wrong.

but nobody really does, timmy the 14 year old barely games and instead spends all his time texting and facebooking on his phone. when he does decide to game, its gonna be with MOBAs and FPSs he can jump in and out on demand, not some PC-only sub-based MMO. and you need a ton of Timmy's to make 40 man raiding work, sure you have your core of burned out 28 year old IT helpdesk and McDonalds shift managers leading raids and the hot (voice, fat IRL) australian chick who does recruiting, but you need all those little Timmy's to be his obedient slaves logging in 40 hours a week to run the same content week after week. White FratBro parties have nothing on MMO voice comms on the levels of gay banter that occur, even Castro bathhouses would tell them to tone down the dick in ass talk.

the glassdoor reviews on Carbine are interesting too, pretty standard stuff but it sounds like a lot of office politics and not much real leadership
Carbine Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just couldn't fathom flagging for a 40 person raid through a 20 person one. You are either running two separate raid groups (with MTs, main healers, etc) and then having good times melding them; or, more likely, you have the same 8-10 people carrying everyone else through and managing lockouts and shit (if there are lockouts, not even sure of that). And oh by the way, have fun keeping that roster full.

I mean, hey, right, it is for the hardcore, the 1% who love that shit and can't wait to run medic07 through all the dungeons and then the 20 man raid just so they can contribute to endgame progression, so I should just play something else. Which I did. I guess Wildstar taught me a valuable lesson: I just don't have patience for that definition of hardcore anymore. I have become Timmy.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I just couldn't fathom flagging for a 40 person raid through a 20 person one. You are either running two separate raid groups (with MTs, main healers, etc) and then having good times melding them; or, more likely, you have the same 8-10 people carrying everyone else through and managing lockouts and shit (if there are lockouts, not even sure of that). And oh by the way, have fun keeping that roster full.

I mean, hey, right, it is for the hardcore, the 1% who love that shit and can't wait to run medic07 through all the dungeons and then the 20 man raid just so they can contribute to endgame progression, so I should just play something else. Which I did. I guess Wildstar taught me a valuable lesson: I just don't have patience for that definition of hardcore anymore. I have become Timmy.
You have two 20 mans. Because in order to have a 40 man, you'll need.. *bum bum* two 20 mans. On. Simultaneously.

I agree with Gilga. Tons of this game is awesome and there's just little shit that bums everyone out. And the fact that MMO players are whiny gashes, so whatever bug pops up when others are erased they'll glom onto and cry about forever. Just watching Arch Age videos and seeing that I just have no drive for that type of tab-target hit 40 different buttons off CD kind of play anymore. I'd love for WS to have compelling open world objective-based pvp, but at the moment it does not.

Raids are fun. If you have ~16 good players and the other 4 don't die. Especially on Karulak.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
They just announced some changes on nexus report, including removing silver dungeons for attunement and swapping them to bronze medal. This should help the game out a lot in the long run.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
And the fact that MMO players are whiny gashes, so whatever bug pops up when others are erased they'll glom onto and cry about forever.
Don't forget the other end of that spectrum.

The doofus fanners who, despite all common sense and evidence to the contrary, will continue to say it's ''everyone else's problem'' while their game slowly turns into Warhammer, TESO, EQ2, CoH, Aion, TERA, AoC and whatever begins to fall by the wayside.

All the while, they still can't figure out why 75-85% of the people who used to play their game at launch left and chalk it up to bad taste and dumbasses.

I love those guys. They are usually the last ones posting on a game's forum about how the game is going to make a comeback due to X or Y patch... just read the notes from the dev!!!

spronk

FPS noob
i read about a bug where guild masters are getting their raid attunements wiped and unable to be re-done, when they contacted support it was suggested they reroll

haha now thats hardcore

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
im going to need a screenshot for me to believe that it was suggested they reroll.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
We just accidentally 1-healed X-89, a single esper healer keeping everyone alive, completely by mistake due to a misunderstanding between our healers. He was complaining that nobody was healing the MT, and it was only after the fight we realized the guy who was supposed to be healing was in fact in dps spec. Well, he can enjoy having the world #1 most healing doneWildStar Logs - Combat Analysis for WildStar- this esper healer is a MACHINE.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
i read about a bug where guild masters are getting their raid attunements wiped and unable to be re-done, when they contacted support it was suggested they reroll

haha now thats hardcore
Well it is a Hardcore game.

And if your going to lead a hardcore guild, the GM better be the hardcore's hardcore.

I heard rumors that the new patch will change raid level loot drops for GM's to only grant half an item, so only 1 boot from a pair. Oh and that shit will be random so you could end up getting 5 left foot boots before the right one drops. Cause Hardcore.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well it is a Hardcore game.

And if your going to lead a hardcore guild, the GM better be the hardcore's hardcore.

I heard rumors that the new patch will change raid level loot drops for GM's to only grant half an item, so only 1 boot from a pair. Oh and that shit will be random so you could end up getting 5 left foot boots before the right one drops. Cause Hardcore.
Did you actually laugh at that before you posted it?

Xevy

Log Wizard
We just accidentally 1-healed X-89, a single esper healer keeping everyone alive, completely by mistake due to a misunderstanding between our healers. He was complaining that nobody was healing the MT, and it was only after the fight we realized the guy who was supposed to be healing was in fact in dps spec. Well, he can enjoy having the world #1 most healing doneWildStar Logs - Combat Analysis for WildStar- this esper healer is a MACHINE.
I had to double check that you weren't in my guild. We pulled basically the same shit today.

Meanwhile, keeping threat on karulek against sploiters is unpossible as a warrior. Totally fun.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
The frustrating thing about this game is that the combat is so incredibly good that it makes all the other shit holding it back completely maddening. The dungeons and raids are literally amazing, but the rest of the game just feels so half-assed. There are so many balance/itemization/everything decisions in this game that just make no fucking sense whatsoever. Yet shit is fun, and hard, and engaging and I don't think I could play another MMO with the old shitty combat system in it. If they get their shit together this could be a game that stands up for a few years...or it could be down the drain in 12 months. Kind of sad.
Buy GW2.