Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
that puts them at less than 70k subs. or substantially less if they have any activity in their cash shop.

edit oh shit that's in Won. ok 52k subs assuming 0 revenue from cash shop or box sales.

Stave

Potato del Grande
People want a hardcore MMO they said. Lets make it hardcore as fuck they said. Lol.

According to reddit discussions, they are around 40k subs. This is Matrix Online levels of bad. And a supposed carbine employee leaked F2P coming in August. Their reddit right now is comedy gold though. Some of these apologists and rose tinted goggle fuckers are oblivious.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ill go back and play when its ftp though
smile.png

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
People want a hardcore MMO they said. Lets make it hardcore as fuck they said. Lol.
Is wildstar hardcore? I never got far enough in beta for content to be hard. Unless the difficulty is referencing staying awake long enough while doing the never ending bland quest chains while staring at the ground.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Read the last few pages and you can see my diatribe in there. It has nothing to do with hardcore or casual. It's just a poorly made game.

spronk

FPS noob
I bought a $15 box last month at best buy just to try it out and lasted till level 15. i don't think its a badly made game, its just a game out of time. 10 years ago people would have loved it. Its zany, colorful, big, etc. Now however I'd rather just go play a FPS or a console game or my 3DS than just do the same old boring text base garbage endless questing to reach a level cap where everyone says its just ass raping raids.

either you need some extremely strong gamer-beloved IP (Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc) or a solid f2p/b2p model to succeed past 2010.

i did get the bunny (?) mount from the mystery gift, but their redeem options are so confusing. i accidently bound it to my character, wanted to give it to a friend

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'll clarify, it's a well made game from the standpoint of the art being top notch for what they wanted to do. The animations are solid for what they are. The world building and writing and voice acting etc are really good. What is really poorly made is how the systems of the game are all tied together (among other things; you can look up what I've written plenty of times) and how it create a finished product.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I'll clarify, it's a well made game from the standpoint of the art being top notch for what they wanted to do. The animations are solid for what they are. The world building and writing and voice acting etc are really good. What is really poorly made is how the systems of the game are all tied together (among other things; you can look up what I've written plenty of times) and how it create a finished product.
Pretty much this. Their flicks were very well made, I liked the writing which was pretty damn funny at times, but bits of the gameplay just didn't do it for me (especially when the sprint hotkey led to some of my fingers literally twitching at times for two weeks).

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wildstar is going to a Hybrid Free to Play model in August. What are your thoughts? : WildStar

Better confirmation from employee who posted his W2 info. Game is going F2P this fall with cosmetic store and optional subs for faster rep/xp etc. Game is also coming preinstalled on steambox. Dungeon and raid team is only 4 people, and apparently they are losing a lot of employees.
This game was built around raiding. Even if they toned it down and made it easier, if the raid team is that small, what's the point of playing? I can see people picking up ESO for the story or any well known IP but not wildstar.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wildstar is going to a Hybrid Free to Play model in August. What are your thoughts? : WildStar

Better confirmation from employee who posted his W2 info. Game is going F2P this fall with cosmetic store and optional subs for faster rep/xp etc. Game is also coming preinstalled on steambox. Dungeon and raid team is only 4 people, and apparently they are losing a lot of employees.
NCSoft pulled all of their games off of Steam a few years ago when Valve made it a policy that all DLC had to be sold through their storefront (which obviously meant less of a cut for NCSoft). I was sort of wondering what would cause them to back off on that and finally give in with Wildstar. Having Wildstar pre-installed on Steamboxes could potentially be huge for them. It gives a pretty big guarantee that a good portion of people that buy a Steambox will give the game a try, and I don't think the amount of people buying Steamboxes is going to be an insignificant number.

Though having to wait until August is unfortunate. It'd be much better to release it at thebeginningof summer when students are on break instead of at the end when everyone is going back and doesn't have time to pick up a new game.

But, it is nice to see that they are trying to avoid having a F2P system similar to SW:TOR since that was one of the worst and most restrictive systems I've seen.

This game was built around raiding. Even if they toned it down and made it easier, if the raid team is that small, what's the point of playing? I can see people picking up ESO for the story or any well known IP but not wildstar.
City of Heroes operated with something like 12 employees for quite a while and were still able to churn out some decent stuff with the tools they had developed prior to that. I have no insight to what it takes for them to develop a dungeon/raid for Wildstar, but it is possible they designing a system which allows fewer people to create dungeons even if it is much slower. I know from what they said in a Twitch stream once was that the tools to create a zone were very similar to the tools players get to set up their housing plots.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord

On the official forums WS mods are not locking the threads discussing that leak so that gives it legitimacy IMO. I wonder if it was a planned leak so that Carbine could see what the public reaction was to the hybrid F2P model before making an official announcement.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
The game is almost a year old and almost all of the raiding guilds are still trying to complete the existing raid content. Supposedly the attunement process isn't as ridiculously painful as it was at launch so now more guilds are beginning to progress thru the raid content. If the raid team only has 4 developers on it, the impact of that hasn't hurt them yet.

No idea how much raid content 4 developers can pump out. Anyone have an idea of how many developers are on Alex/Furor's team in WoW?

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
The rule was made "due to the excessive negativity associated with these posts" and to avoid "speculation". And it wasn't made by the subreddit owner. It was made by a mod who was acting under her own volition and has subsequently been removed from the mod team and the rule reversed by theactual owner of the subreddit.

Stave

Potato del Grande
The rule was made "due to the excessive negativity associated with these posts" and to avoid "speculation". And it wasn't made by the subreddit owner. It was made by a mod who was acting under her own volition and has subsequently been removed from the mod team and the rule reversed by theactual owner of the subreddit.
Yeah, it is actually some pretty funny drama, but what little I followed as I never kept up on it, is that some girlwithbadteeth mangina user was a mod and literally nazi modded any criticism or opposing opinions posted on the reddit for a long time now. Apparently most of the community hated this person on reddit and in game, but she was the only active mod. It got so bad it made reddit front page and drew a ton of attention to how nazimod this person was. The sub owner came back and removed badteeth person, and is putting shit back to normal. The best lulz though are coming from the chunk of the community who supported badteeth and supported her censorship, and are screaming bloody murder how they would rather have the game fail than go F2P. Some even suggest keeping the game P2P and adding a cash shop to make carbine the money it needs to stay afloat. It's hillarious levels of fucktardness over there.

That's one thing this game did do, was draw in the crazy to the community more than any other MMO I can remember outside of like Second Life, etc. It must be the housing aspect combined with bunny ear race.