Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well you can now entirely skip the intro stuff. They added 3 options when you start a character. #1 - total mmo noob. You need help just walking. #2 - new to wildstar but not gaming or mmos. #3 - let me just get into the game already. Drops you in the appropriate lvl 3-6 zone.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Well that's good. What about the other issues?

I just want a live MMO that isn't WoW or FFXIV.

Edit: Also, what is the rune system? There's a lot of bitching about it on the forums.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
They squashed the teleporting harvest bots ages ago thankfully. I started a new character recently, and I've had no issues finding nodes to harvest. I also haven't encountered any bots in PvP that I'm aware of.

Challenges haven't really changed much (on live). They are a little less in your face than they used to be due to them revamping how they appear. Now they show up as a smallish star at the top-center of the screen. There is also a quest tracker that was added that will tell you what challenges are near so you can easily ignore them and not have to worry about searching for them again later if you want.

They did change the reward system on the test server. They made it so challenges no longer give an automatic reward, but instead give points that fill a meter with a choice of rewards every 25% or so. In my opinion, it's really poorly implemented for a variety reasons, so hopefully that doesn't make it to live, or at least not in its current fashion.

Edit: Also, what is the rune system? There's a lot of bitching about it on the forums.
Runes are stat bonuses you can add to your gear. They're currently going through a much needed revamp, though I haven't really experimented with it yet so I'm not all sure what is changing with them.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just got the email that I've been invited to the F2P closed beta... time to rock maybe!

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I got the key as well and decided to take another look. First thing I noticed is that the game still needs mouse look as default. They have a beta setting but it's extremely buggy, which is crazy considering that mods had this down perfectly over a year ago. Other than that I haven't dug too deep, but it's nice to be able to skip all the newbie hand holding at the beginning and just drop into the game.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I logged in and instantly saw a server message saying the server was coming down in 5 minutes for maintenance. So I haven't had a chance to see anything but the new character creation stuff. Nothing crazy there but it is nice to be able to just get into the game and skip the tutorial stuff.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got the key as well and decided to take another look. First thing I noticed is that the game still needs mouse look as default. They have a beta setting but it's extremely buggy, which is crazy considering that mods had this down perfectly over a year ago. Other than that I haven't dug too deep, but it's nice to be able to skip all the newbie hand holding at the beginning and just drop into the game.
Unless I've missed other mods that do this, the system Carbine is implementing is going to be a little more complex. It allows you to automatically turn on and off mouselook depending on what you're doing (eg entering combat turns it on). It also makes it so you can have three separate sets of keybindings: one for when mouselook is toggled on, one for when it's off, and a third for holding down a key to unlock the cursor (eg I can have mouse 1 set to my first attack, but hitting z brings up the cursor and makes it so mouse 1 is a targeted ability instead).

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Unless I've missed other mods that do this, the system Carbine is implementing is going to be a little more complex. It allows you to automatically turn on and off mouselook depending on what you're doing (eg entering combat turns it on). It also makes it so you can have three separate sets of keybindings: one for when mouselook is toggled on, one for when it's off, and a third for holding down a key to unlock the cursor (eg I can have mouse 1 set to my first attack, but hitting z brings up the cursor and makes it so mouse 1 is a targeted ability instead).
Steer did all of that except the third set of binds and keybinds aren't the problem on the PTR.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I'll definitely be playing. I've been enjoying the f2p beta. It's good enough for me to load up for however long I feel like playing. If you didn't like the core gameplay before then you still won't like it but it's definitely less exhausting to play now.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
At least as far as I got to level 20 telegraphs weren't as intense. They toned down the patterns and speed compared to the last time I played. Fundamentally it's still the same game though.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
They did add a level 10 one. I never bothered with it though so I can't really give an opinion on it.
It's basically a training dungeon which explains things like telegraphs, stunning, etc., which will be essential for new players since you used to just get thrown into dungeons with little knowledge of how they work.

You do unlock your first Expedition (formally Shiphands) at level 6 which are basically mini-dungeons, and you now unlock a dungeon or adventure every 5 levels. With the leveling curve being smoothed out some in the early levels, it really doesn't take anytime at all to start doing group content.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can't speak for anyone else but I did not quit this game because I could not afford $15/month. I quit because it wasn't fun. I'm not sure free to play is going to save it.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Have you actually looked at what they're changing? They're not just dropping the monthly fee. Obviously if you didn't enjoy the core gameplay you will still not enjoy the game but there are many changes going live when it goes FTP.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if they'll be adding more variety in abilities eventually?

Edit: Shit, this is weird now that they removed run.