Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I can't speak for anyone else but I did not quit this game because I could not afford $15/month. I quit because it wasn't fun. I'm not sure free to play is going to save it.
Same reason here pretty much.

Frankly if the changes they were making were so amazing these boards would be full of people pumped to play the game again but this thread is pretty dead.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well I wouldn't necessarily use this forum's activity as a point for or against a game. I mean the Pantheon thread's pretty active, and there's no game yet, and there might never be.

I might try it once they launch, but I have very little interest in the game, I didn't like how the classes played so unless they've made massive changes, I probably still won't like the classes and not bother. Bunch of the core stuff felt weird and/or boring.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I don't think FTP will save this game either. Its gameplay are just too freaking linear to me. You follow ? to max level, then you are forced to run dungeon for raid access. After that, it is pretty much between raiding two instances and same old daily quests that bored the shit out of my mind...

On the other hand, I am having a blast in EQ2 progression server.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Well I wouldn't necessarily use this forum's activity as a point for or against a game. I mean the Pantheon thread's pretty active, and there's no game yet, and there might never be.

I might try it once they launch, but I have very little interest in the game, I didn't like how the classes played so unless they've made massive changes, I probably still won't like the classes and not bother. Bunch of the core stuff felt weird and/or boring.
Pantheon, ROFL

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think FTP will save this game either. Its gameplay are just too freaking linear to me. You follow ? to max level, then you are forced to run dungeon for raid access. After that, it is pretty much between raiding two instances and same old daily quests that bored the shit out of my mind...
That's where I'm sort of wary about this. I think they'll do a good job drawing people in. They've streamlined much of the early game, dumbed down some parts, moved around content so you don't have to do the quest grind if you don't want to (especially since faction is no longer needed for attunement). The game is a lot more friendly to new players, and in the past few updates, they've also done a decent job filling out the end-game content, particularly in giving solo players things to do (contracts, veteran expeditions, etc.).

But, they really better have more raids and end-game content waiting in the wings or they're just going to run into the same problem they did before. Yes, attunement has been made much easier, but this isn't like release where it was going to take people months to get through the raids and thus have something to keep them playing. Many of the new players are going to end up in guilds who are already half-way or more through the raids that are in the game. While I don't think there are many guilds that have cleared everything yet, it likely won't be long before guilds start hitting the wall.

I know at least one raid is in development, but hopefully it's not something they have to wait for the 3-month cycle to deliver. It just sort of seems like they did the typical MMO thing of putting all of their energy into the early game, believing they can address the end-game content before enough people get there.

Classes were boring as fuck. I don't think they were ever updated.
Esper is probably the only one that plays differently than it did at launch. They removed all the stupid standing around required of the class, and made it so you'll get bonus damage for timing your attacks correctly instead.

All the other classes have been tweaked to varying degrees, of course. I know Engineers had one ability revamped on Test, and obviously the new stats have changed how certain attacks work. But, yeah, I don't think there have been any large, sweeping changes that have made how classes play much different.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I don't think the classes were the problem. The problem was a complete lack of anything for people to do outside of raiding, and the ridiculous attunement process for those that wanted to. If they fixed these things, along with a few other QoL improvements I think the game will do better than people are expecting.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Most people didn't get half way to level cap so lack of content wasn't the number one problem. It was just the number one problem of people who played the game to level cap.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is pretty much the only modern MMO I didn't make it to level cap in before the free month ran out. I found myself playing Windows Mahjong instead of logging in after the first weekend.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think the classes were the problem. The problem was a complete lack of anything for people to do outside of raiding, and the ridiculous attunement process for those that wanted to. If they fixed these things, along with a few other QoL improvements I think the game will do better than people are expecting.
They have. Attunement will only be four steps, the most difficult of which is playing through each dungeon once (medal doesn't matter). Two of the raid bosses also drop a completed attunement key, so guilds can have members skip the attunement process completely. And, like I said, there's now seven Veteran Shiphands/Expeditions, daily contracts, more daily and weekly quests, world bosses will become spawnable making them easier to gather for, etc. They also did a lot to smooth out the gear progression to make it easier for people to get into dungeons, plus those dumb medal requirements for loot no longer exist, making PUGs more popular.

Personally, I've been able to keep my medic pretty busy at level 50, and I have yet to raid.

bayr_sl

shitlord
This is pretty much the only modern MMO I didn't make it to level cap in before the free month ran out. I found myself playing Windows Mahjong instead of logging in after the first weekend.
Look at this little softcore bitch and laugh everyone!

Binkles_sl

shitlord
That is saying something as leveling + queueing for pvp to reach level cap was like falling off a log. I'm fairly certain I hit level cap prior to completing the lvl 20ish zone.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm one of the ones who didn't like the classes. I tried Medic, Esper, and Spellslinger. Medic was ok but I couldn't get past the horrible grapics and animations of their paddles. Looked like wings when sheathed and the run animation when they were out really bothered me. Esper was just boring. Builder, builder, builder, Nuke! And the pointless and huge spell wheel strapped to your back that you never used was lame. Spellslinger had awesome graphics and animations. But having to constantly micro mangage spellsurge to even hope to approach the dps of the "stand there and builder builder builder nuke" rotation of the esper was too frustrating after a while.

Then there was wildstar combat itself. Its involved, but weird. Its draining. I could only play for a few hours before getting tired and quitting. I dont understand why. Tera's combat is just as involved and I can play that all day. But Wildstar was exhausting. Weird. I can't explain it.

The game designers of this game went out of their way to make a "hard" or "expert level" game. Instead they just made an annoying one. Needlessly complex stats that I didn't understand. Way too many times I'd get a new piece of gear and have no idea if it was an upgrade or not. Needlessly complex talent trees for the classes. Depending on RNG for class defining abilities to drop was awful. What if quick draw (may or may not be the name) never dropped for you? Sucks to be you! Feel the hard core!

I didn't stick around long enough for end game but from what I hear even if you got past the attunement grind itemization was literally an RNG inside a RNG making ideal gear next to impossible to aquire.

It's like the game designers went out of their way to make sure you would hate playing their game because if you were having fun and relaxing while playing it then it obviously wasn't hard core enough. Go figure. And such a waste. The IP, story, and setting were awesome. The promo videos were awesome. I WANTED to love this game.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Medic was fun, but it looked (and sounded) so dumb that I never found it playable for extended periods of time. I liked Esper gameplay, with the temp pet etc. it was an awesome soloer, but the most fun classes were imo the stalker and the warrior. I speak mainly from a non raider point of view; exploring/questing as a Stalker was indeed quite entertaining.
AMPs were a disaster, spellslinger required two very rare ones at release, so did other classes if I remember correctly, talents were bloated and confusing, even if some were nice to have and felt rewarding enough.

Some pieces of content were awesome, like shiphands or certain parts of some zones, a couple dungeons, etc. while some were abominable atrocities inflicted on players. If they would have abandoned earlier the "hardcore at all costs" mentality, they could have mantained a much healtier playerbase maybe.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I'll probably play it here and there once it is F2P. There were things I enjoyed about the game and things I hated. I only got to like level 40, and hated that every new zone I got to, I hated worse than the previous one. That and running dungeons was fucking worthless. 4 hour wipefests for zero loot even in the newbie dungeons. Fucking ridiculous. I did really enjoy the combat though once I installed an addon that made my mouse control looking around, and my mouse buttons attack, ala TERA. If they can fix dungeons to be doable by avg retard pug groups and give some useable rewards, and I know that there is non insane shit for me to do if I level to 50, then I will probably log in now and then and grind up my character. We'll see though. Not like the MMO scene is exactly hopping right now anyways.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah pug'ing dungeons was a soul crushing endeavor the first time around. I ran that first level 15 dungeon once on my Warrior on the PTR and even given like 20 seconds people couldn't interrupt that first boss.