Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
yeah. too much to do honestly. Hit 50, and just given like 50 quests, to do. 5 level 50 zones or something. eldar gems, protostar reward token quests, veteren adventures, dungeons, explorations. pvp arena, warplots, etc.

you play neverwinter, and there is a clear progression of zones, and end game with gearscore telling you what you are supposed to be doing. This? not so much. there is item levels, but nothing is clear. and you have a mountain of things you could be doing at any given time. Leveling is really the same.

And when a customer has too much choice, they can't make any choice, and never feel satisfied. basic sales.
Honestly I just fuck around a lot. I haven't even gotten geared for vets yet. To busy messing with my plot and doing holiday stuff. The Shade's Eve hover board was kind of disappointing to be honest. I'm still slightly buttmad that I farmed that much for it. lol

I've also been looking at people's houses. Check out Visectria Sciskovox. Its nuts!

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I was in the mood for something different a few days ago so loaded this up to give it a try. Having never seen or read anything about the game before this week, I went in with low expectations after reading a few pages back in the thread. Instead, I've found the game to be a lot of fun so far (only level 18ish). The combat is great, being focused on positioning and reaction speed instead of standing still and executing a 14 button rotation (especially after recently playing EQ2).

The open world leveling is faceroll, like any other mmo, but the dungeon stuff I've queued for has been a blast. The tuning felt just right where the boss fights were involved and challenging enough to keep a good player engaged, yet still tuned to be beatable for decent pug. The F2P system seems well done also, since as far as I can tell, the only thing a sub gives you that matters is faster leveling, though I'm overleveling zones anyway clearing them 100% before moving on (I'm not in a rush to endgame).

An amusing downside for me is that I chose Esper as my class based on the ninja-mage class description, and it turns out so did everyone else. Every dungeon group I get in is like 2-4 espers and a tank. I've yet to win a need roll on a loot drop.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
this game was really fun but I only played for the pvp (which was great) but it was absolutely destroyed by half my teammates being AFK macros running into corners for free battleground completion exp in order to later be sold on epicnpc

winning any pvp instance literally just came down to who had the greater number of afk macros on their team

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
this game was really fun but I only played for the pvp (which was great) but it was absolutely destroyed by half my teammates being AFK macros running into corners for free battleground completion exp in order to later be sold on epicnpc

winning any pvp instance literally just came down to who had the greater number of afk macros on their team
This happens in every MMO with BG rewards, more or less (Rift=WAY more). It's pathetically easy to monitor/ban, but nobody seems to bother. This usually gets me to quit faster than anything else.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
its unfortunate because the pvp was very good with pretty even balance between classes

but once u lose like 5 matches in a row due to macro party member rng you just uninstall the game

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I downloaded this, and am on the main pve server (not #2 or whatever its called). Has it always had hideous lag spikes? When they hit it takes me 4x as long to kill shit :*(

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
This game reminds me a lot of Neverwinter. Fun combat and classes, decent dungeons, atrocious PvP and forgettable leveling.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Another 70 folks fired, Chinese localization cut.

BUT I THOUGHT FREE TO PLAY WAS A PANACEAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
But I thought people really wanted a hardcore MMO?
biggrin.png

Del

Vyemm Raider
But I thought this wasn't really a hardcore MMO and that all the content would get beaten within a month and a half?

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
But I thought people really wanted a hardcore MMO?
biggrin.png
My opinion is that the hardcore part is not their main issue, it's certainly one, but as an anecdote, all the people that started playing with me, chose to quit before level 25. I pushed hard and all I could do was getting to 29 and giving a try to the other classes (because I may have picked the wrong one, am I right?). Well I didn't get past 20.
No, not a good game, combat is fairly boring, healing is a chore and quite unfun to aim when everyone is a hopper on steroids, quests are so fucking horrible I had trouble staying awake just trying to do them, with the exception of a selected few here and there, too few to really shine.

I'm not saying that 40 men raids or now 20 men ones would have been compelling enough to keep playing, but the foundation of the game was mediocre, even if I loved the art, the humor and the setting. It was technically well made, but not exciting to play. Also another theme park.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah I went back and tried the F2P shit but reality is the game is just boring. They have such a great setting and I enjoy the graphical style but they wasted it all.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I played Wildstar after it went F2P until around level 40, but kind of lost interest. The main storyline was decent, and wanting to see what happens next was about the only reason I kept going after 33 or so. Some of the downfalls for me were that you are majorly frontloaded on all of your classes abilities. By level like 12 or so you have every skill your class will ever get, which doesn't leave a whole lot to look forward to during leveling. The questing, and general mob layout while in the open world seemed to focus on how many ways can the devs annoy the player. Very high mob density at every quest objective with fast respawns meant you spent a high amount of time trash clearing, which gets tedious quickly. Dungeons were not tuned well for their intended audience either. Hard dungeons have their place in MMOs, but during the leveling process it's never fun to spend 50 minutes clearing trash with a poor group, only to reach the boss and not able to finish the zone because the randoms you got in with can't avoid the red. Save that kind of content for level cap gear farming.

Positives were an enjoyable combat system, and those hard dungeons I mentioned were actually amazing fun when your group has a clue.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This game was just a case study to prove that WoW still has the population it does because people are attached to things they are used to. This game was sci-fi WoW and while it had some issues, it was decent all around and had some good new ideas if nothing revolutionary.

Compare to BDO which is a huge step backwards in accessibility and yet has carved an immediate niche in the NA market. Granted, BDO is visually flawless, but I don't think it has anything super revolutionary to offer it's just an actual game instead of a series of mini-games hooked up into a chat simulator like WoW/WS/every other game is for casuals.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's way too early to say BDO has done anything, other than sell some boxes, which Wildstar also did, and probably more(no official numbers but the hype at release was way bigger than for BDO, at least from my point of view), and for twice the money. Maybe in 2 or 3 months you'll be able to say if BDO did better than Wildstar, at this point it's just conjecture.

I'm glad I didn't buy Wildstar, I tried to like it during beta, but I think the highest I got was like 32, after months being in closed beta. The game just wasn't fun to play, I hated most classes and the combat was like some shitty hybrid of wow tab targetting and action mmo but done poorly.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
This game was just a case study to prove that WoW still has the population it does because people are attached to things they are used to. This game was sci-fi WoW and while it had some issues, it was decent all around and had some good new ideas if nothing revolutionary.

Compare to BDO which is a huge step backwards in accessibility and yet has carved an immediate niche in the NA market. Granted, BDO is visually flawless, but I don't think it has anything super revolutionary to offer it's just an actual game instead of a series of mini-games hooked up into a chat simulator like WoW/WS/every other game is for casuals.
Counterpoint: WoW is successful because it caters towards the majority of players while Wildstar is a failure because it went for hardcore players. Every time WoW tries to do the same thing (Cata heroics, WoD LFR being a hollow shell and normal being far too large a step up) italsofails.

Conclusion: Catering to poopsockers is a fucking stupid idea and nobody will ever make money doing so.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Counterpoint: WoW is successful because it caters towards the majority of players while Wildstar is a failure because it went for hardcore players. Every time WoW tries to do the same thing (Cata heroics, WoD LFR being a hollow shell and normal being far too large a step up) italsofails.

Conclusion: Catering to poopsockers is a fucking stupid idea and nobody will ever make money doing so.
Accurate. I loved how hard and challenging it was, but I'm in the 1% of poopsock gamers at this point.

I'm waiting for some one to get wise and make Micro-MMO's where there's dungeons and gearing but no leveling. Think D3 GR leaderboards but with more to do than have 1 uber dps and 3 feeder tanks. Just make an MMO that has dungeons and raids. Not even PVP because of balance. Just let people get in their group, try to beat their time/death record etc and try to get upgrades so the next time they do it they're better. I'm sure there's games like this now, but I'm drawing a blank which probably means none are extremely successful.