Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Wildstar was so shitty no one made it to the hardcore bits. Most people quit before level 20 playing all that casual parts.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
When they decided on their combat system, did no one on the team take a look at Neverwinter? Because that's the ONLY way this game would work. Hell, did they even play their OWN game this way? Were they mutants with a third arm?

So I I see they are trying to put in a wonky mouselook control option but the 10 minutes I fiddled with it seemed inconsistent. Is there a way to just make it a manual toggle?

The very first thing people said in beta was "these controls don't work." Still defaults to same controls.

Also, good god the game looks like rainbow vomit.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Did anyone ever clear the 40 man raids? It was fucking idiotic to design a progression system where you had to farm the fuck out of a 20 man raid to get gear for a 40 man raid that would take over a fucking year.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Did anyone ever clear the 40 man raids? It was fucking idiotic to design a progression system where you had to farm the fuck out of a 20 man raid to get gear for a 40 man raid that would take over a fucking year.
Yes. What makes it even funnier is just how amazing some of the 40 man raids were from a challenge perspective (at least, what wasn't broken). GA was difficult when you first broke into it but Datascape was on a whole different level. I think raid concepts like the elemental pairings are rad and it's a shame that we won't see anything like it ever again.

Before anyone jumps on the post: I'm not saying that I think Wildstar's model is feasible. I'm not saying that it's good. I'm saying that if you're part of the 1% you did yourself a disservice by not getting to experience Datascape because we'll never see anything quite like it again.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Most human abilities, at least theoretically, follow a standardized distribution. Designing a game for those 2-3, even 1, deviation above the mean really limits your population/draw/market base.

rrr_img_129746.gif

Xevy

Log Wizard
My guild cleared Ohmna on what was, most likely, our last attempt ever before our top players were going to DnT. Felt amazing. I really liked a lot of those fights. The council was great how it rotated and you had to find out how to deal with each boss before there were strats for each possible pairing.

I never stepped foot in the 40 man though. I quit after Ohmna as DnT was going to absorb us and that was a shit-show of garbage people with above average skills. I wanted no part in that.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Accurate. I loved how hard and challenging it was, but I'm in the 1% of poopsock gamers at this point.

I'm waiting for some one to get wise and make Micro-MMO's where there's dungeons and gearing but no leveling. Think D3 GR leaderboards but with more to do than have 1 uber dps and 3 feeder tanks. Just make an MMO that has dungeons and raids. Not even PVP because of balance. Just let people get in their group, try to beat their time/death record etc and try to get upgrades so the next time they do it they're better. I'm sure there's games like this now, but I'm drawing a blank which probably means none are extremely successful.
Tangent: The first person to come up with a MMO-maker toolkit a la RPGMaker or GameMaker is going to make amint, purely because there's so many people out there with "If only Game X had made design decision Y" plans in their head. And who knows - maybe some day someone will come up with the MMO equivalent of Undertale or the like?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd like to see something similar, though I think the scope of a project like that would be kind of difficult. Unless it was reeeally barebones type stuff, with one zone, one server, browser based etc, because getting people to test your ideas is hard without them logging in. It'd most likely have to be some partnership from a hosting company as well as the people making the modular design stuff. No lie, I'd probably mess around with a toolkit like that, but I think my specific ideas might be beyond the scope of a somewhat user friendly modular system like that.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Wildstar's problems were the dungeons. You couldn't pug in to dungeons at level 20. The game was so unforgiving that baddies could wipe the whole party. So either you needed a full group of people who weren't retards or you needed to solo grind it up through their shitty bear ass fetch quests.

Also PVP was just an unbalanced CC fest with some acid trip laser light show.

I really wanted to like Wildstar. It's the last game I played a real beta for more then 5 minutes. I think playing the beta and hitting max ruined release for me.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Interrupt armor was some of the stupidest shit ever. That alone made pugging fucking unplayable in dungeons. Expecting a group of strangers to coordinate interrupts was some next level faith.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean, it at least tried to lure people into pressing their interrupt buttons by offering them "OMFGWTFBBQ 100% MEGADAMAGE *GUITAR RIFFS*" when you successfully broke the interrupt armor and interrupted something.

Xevy

Log Wizard
They should've just made interrupt shit on a 'heroic' mode that the lvl 50's did. Maybe have 1 interrupt armor on bosses in the 'normal' mode. If your team was highly coordinated you could basically negate entire boss mechanics by burning IA at the right time, which was cool. It rewarded coordination and good skill builds rather than just brute retard dps like every other MMO dungeon. Not to say brute retard DPS didn't hurt, but the interruption brought less-geared coordinated people to the level of 14 year olds in their full high-end DPS gear.

The PVP originally had some CC problems but later you could get CC'd for like maybe 3-4 seconds every 30 seconds. It was actually pretty well balanced, but unfortunately the battlegrounds were incredibly lack luster. The bomb one they added was interesting but not quite good enough.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's a shame the art style of this game is so terrible , like a shitty version of vanilla wow. I'd love to see some big raid (20+ man) pve games with a good amount of challenge that had like black desert level graphics (our vid cards are slowly reaching a point where that would be possible)

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It's a shame the art style of this game is so terrible , like a shitty version of vanilla wow. I'd love to see some big raid (20+ man) pve games with a good amount of challenge that had like black desert level graphics (our vid cards are slowly reaching a point where that would be possible)
I actually didn't mind the art style... it jived with the sci-fi/fantasy vibe.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Odd that your complaining a game released years ago wasn't at a level graphically that cards today still can't handle

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Reminds me of EQ2 saying they made their graphics with future graphics cards in mind. Then future graphics cards came out and it still looked like refried ass.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user