Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

xzi

Mouthbreather
Well shit guy I just wanted to show people a video showing off the scientist a little bit I'm sorry ;~;

Now that I have an SSD and a slave drive I can't wait until I get in and NDA is lifted so I can spam the internet with videos.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Watching this guy try and play the game is pretty annoying. He seems to have difficulty with simple movement and combat.
I really like that environment seen in that video. Nice to look far off in the distance and not be "walled in" .

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I know GBTv is based on the West Coast, you'd think they could get that kid with a giant white-person afro to go play the game for them. I think he's their WOW raid show guy.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
2 hour dev interviewhttp://www.twitch.tv/oppositionpodcast/b/407007808

Summary taken from Reddit: (Combat and PVP mostly)

Combat

There is the possibility for tab targetting for less skilled players BUT they will never be as effective as a free form targetting.
Tab targetting does NOT guaruntee the ability will hit the targetted player. Tab targetting essentially aims you at the target
Telegraphs can be any shape and size. You can even have inverse telegraphs.
The combat system is not based entirely on telegraphs
You cannot cast mid-jump for most spells, but there are some where you can
Abilities are usually resource based/restricted(mana) but are sometimes cooldown based
THERE IS NO AUTO-ATTACK
There is a "basic-attack" mapped to right-click. This basic attack does trigger the global cooldown
Some classes have up to 90% telegraphed abilities. Some closer to 50%
To avoid overwhelming raids, they currently only show your own telegraphs and the enemy creature's telegraphs. I'm assuming they are talking about offensive telegraphs, not heals and buff bubbles. May just have the options to turn it on and off.
Beyond telegraphs, there is the possibility of a character to evade attacks automatically. Likely RNG and stat driven. We have seen this on media demos.
Listening to player feedback to get rid of standard rotations
Trying to avoid "number inflation" to keep damage numbers low

Shields

Health does not regenerate while in combat
Tech Shields regenerate a set amount of time after you are last hit (even if still in combat)
There are abilities which specifically target and heal tech shields
There are abilities which ignore tech shields
There are also absorption shields which are "treated differently" than tech shields. Said "magical" so I'm guessing they are cast by a spell/healer class.
Tech Shields are itemized. You will pick up better tech shields as you play.

CC

No current diminishing return on CC, but not ruling it out.
CC's are more powerful in PvE than in PvP. Because of the "breakout system" they can weaken/strengthen CC in PvP without effecting PvE
Always give a player a goal or activity when they are in a form of CC to help them escape (retrieving a sword that was knocked out of the player's hand, player can extend the CC by blocking you from getting the weapon!!)
Interrupt Armor is something that can be cast or applied to you. For example if you want to cast a channeled spell you could cast Interrupt Armor on yourself first.
You can apply interrupt armor on teammates
Interrupt Armor can prevent ALL hard forms of CC(implied not things like slows). The Interrupt Armor is a bar that can decrement down to zero and then you are able to be CC'd.
Telegraph time for abilities are tuned to NEVER be lower than standard latency meaning you should always have the chance to dodge... assuming no delay in reaction time such as 0 people in the world.

Classess

Perhaps a bow and arrow class. Little bit of laughter, so give it a small chance of being true.
One of the unannounced classes can spec healing
No healer is definitively better than another. Any benefits of one over another is purely situational.
Stalkers will be less likely to actually be hit when tanking. They are experimenting with giving them a higher chance to "evade" autoattacks.
"Might have pets. Might not have pets. This is redacted" When asked about a pet class
Definitely strong trinity system (unlike GW2)

Currently swapping specs is easy. Player feedback is making them second-guess this.

Tanks/Heals

Tanks and healers still have to worry about positioning and aiming

Dedicated tanks will have a role in PvP

Tank taunts reduce damage of player that has been taunted unless the taunted player is attacking the tank

Tanks are great for holding/assaulting objectives in PvP

Tanks are useful in arenas because they rarely die

Tanks have strong support abilities to further their usefulness in PvP.

One specific tank ability allows him to form a bubble and all allies in the bubble take reduced damage

Healers will not be able to heal indefinitely, will have to be strategic

Healers will add significant survivability in PvP

Hybrid builds are possible. Devs liked to go mostly DPS with a few "pocket heals" on their ability slots for Arenas

Some healing classes are substantially more dependant on telegraphs than others

Abilities

Mobility differs between classes. Some classes will have no channels. Some abilities simply slow a character while casting.
It is possible to adjust your ability set such that you will have no channels/slows while casting, despite your class.
Abilities on bar should be active -- not buffs. Trying to avoid having abilities with long durations.
WildStar is programmed to allow people to use shields and life as resources (like mana) but they are not currently doing so. It "may or may not" happen.
Potential class ability that lets you swap places with a target. They are "trying out" the ability to see its implications.

Beta

Stress test is likely to suck for players, so don't get antsy.
Trying to ramp up amount of beta players quickly
Current beta players are not having their beta names reserved. Reserved names during beta will likely only happen very soon before release
New waves of beta invites will be coming out every couple of weeks

PvP

Currently they are NOT showing telegraphs to players in PvP(!!!!). It will benefit you to know what the telegraph for another class' abilities looks like. This is still subject to change.
Can level up character in PvP
Paths will unlock abilities for use in PvP (arenas, battlegrounds, world)
XP/time ratio of PvP should be roughly the same as PvE. Want you to be able to level up with just PvP.
PvP currency is present. Can be used to buy and repair stuff(Warplots)
There are randomized chances to win loot
It's possible for a really skilled player to win a 1v3, 1v4 with similar gear. It is possible for a PvP player to be consistently, overwhelmingly dominant
Will have a "tutorial experience"
eSports a possibility if the community wants it -- Arenas and Warplots.
In PvP classes take a rock-paper-scissors approach to countering each other based on ability skillset chosen
PvP is more strategy focused than burst focused. Currently averages 20s to kill 1v1 assuming no dodging and toe-to-toe. Still VERY much in flux.
No plans to allow custom matches where players can set parameters
Using the same plug-in systems used in housing the devs can add randomized and new content to existing battlegrounds to keep play from getting stale. This probably won't be done until post-launch.

Dueling

Very likely. Lead PvP designer mentioned it as one of the systems she is involved in

Crafting

Circuitboard system

Paths

Devs are being careful with path abilities. DO NOT want you to feel it's advantageous to re-roll the same char with a different path simply because the abilities may be better.

Gear

Raids may have the best loot but not all good gear for PvP will be locked behind top tier raids
They are working on balance such that players can gradually build up their PvP gear
Gear will give a definite advantage in PvP, but skill can overcome gear gaps.
PvP gear progression scheme where good gear is from battlegrounds, great gear is arena, and best of PvP rewards are from Warplots
Warplot gear will give you a decided advantage in arenas
Stats on gear will have diminishing returns!
Everytime there is a new tier of PvE gear released, a new tier of PvP gear will be released
There are two PvP specific stats for gear, limiting the ability for PvP gear to be better than PvE gear. PvP Offense and PvP Defense. You will have a base amount to start and can supplement with gear. These two stats will mostly come from "chips" made from circuitboard crafting.
PvP Offense increases damage against player targets
PvP Defense mitigates damage from other players
Will near definitely have an equipment "loadout" system where you can switch gear sets quickly.
Assault power helps DPS
Support power helps healing
Damage bonuses on gear will be generic +dmg... not anything like +fire dmg

API

Addons mods will be coded in LUA
API is still in flux but is very robust. "Anything [Carbine] can do with the UI, [a modder] could do with the UI"
Code for the Carbine UI is provided so people can mess with it
Macros will likely be allowed, but nothing gamebreaking
Existing add-ons include a player-made chat mod which allows a player to receive whispers which show up in a window, they can answer the question and it will show up in zone chat (devs were using). Group frames. Friends lists. Gambling.

Battlegrounds

Two different types sizes of battlegrounds 10v10(10-15 minutes, current average is 11) and 15v15(little longer than 10v10). A 30v30 one is being tested
Unranked battlegrounds are not matchmade by skill or gear level
You will have an ELO rating for your skill in ranked battlegrounds. You will be matched with people of similar skill level
Rallying system boosts everyone to top level character for battleground in stats
No persistent battlegrounds that last for days on end (like Alterac Valley) and they have zero interest in making one
Capture the flag is a current BG type
Next BG rollout to beta will be an attack/defense like TF2 carts and SWTOR Void Star with "their own little twists"
Currently prototyping a domination-style (capture-hold) with an interesting addition at the end
PuG's and premades are possible, but the ELO system allows adjustment for the increased ability
You can have premade groups in battlegrounds

World PvP

PvE server players can flag themselves as PvP
Not any major objectives to do in world PvP "yet"
Open world PvP has no level restrictions (and the planned PvP population plummets
wink.png
). High level players will not get experience for killing low level players, however.
Implied you get XP AND PvP currency for open-world kills
There are diminishing returns for killing the same player
On PvP servers you are safe in zones controlled by your faction. If you go into a shared zone or an enemy zone, you will be flagged for PvP

Arena PvP

Current sizes are 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5
Arena is not a standard elimination match. They have "team respawn lives" -- each team can have 6 lives and when you die you use up a life
Potential to have game-types, eventually, that are single elimination (no extra lives)
Arena is capped at 30 minutes

Warplots

Damage taken to warplots is persistent. You will have to repair/rebuild/maintain after battles!
Paths will have influence on Warplot play, more specific than just standard PvP abilities
Warplots is intended for large raids (MAX is 40v40, implying there can be smaller ones)
Presumably more info to come as a dev said she is limited in what she can currently say. Dev seems very excited for the information that is not yet released
Warplot PvP expected to last closer to 45-60 minutes

Housing

Players cannot attack/steal items from another player's house
There will be ways for you to "interact" with your friends in your home. "Rainbow deer marriage"
smile.png

Access to your bank from your house
House can offer useful character buffs
Can be "a hub" (possibly portal to various areas?)
House isn't intended for player to "hang out" there permanently

PvE

Movement/travel abilities for each class allowing you to get from point to point quicker
Falling damage exists, but is very lenient currently. Effected by gravity
In-game flight still not decided. "We have some cool stuff happening which will effect that decision"
Sprint-double-jump is very important for explorers
Open world bosses that can take up to 20+ players
Possible to make double-jump a factor in raids ONLY if it is obvious

Group Finder

Group Finder tool for Warplots, Battlegrounds, dungeons and "some things we haven't talked about" but NOT Raids. Able to choose if you want to queue only with people on your server. Even in cross-realm the group-finder has an affinity for grouping people on the same server.
Group finder attempts to gather a standard group: 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 DPS.... dungeons are likely 5mans then.
Group finder will teleport you to the dungeon entrance
Will have a "looking for group" channel

Social

Still haven't decided whether they will allow cross-faction communication. Currently disabled.
They are considering limited forms of communication between factions
They are not currently working on a mobile app but they are interested and would like to in the future. This includes interaction with auction house, guild and more
Unable to discuss whether there is a "home base" for guilds -- yet!

Game General

Morph into deer that farts rainbows... Will debut at PAX Were likely not joking
wink.png

Currently no gambling in the game (betting on PvP). They have considered it but haven't implemented anything else.
Use of game controllers is not officially supported but gameplay is well-suited for controllers
Authenticator being considered as a possibility for account protection
Servers in EU(Frankfurt) and US(Dallas) at launch -- maybe in more locations but they aren't ready to discuss any further.
Mentioned wanting a good gaming experience in Australia -- possible servers in Australia?
Big reveals to come at E3
These guys say "there has been no official announcement of payment model. Even if you think you know something or have heard something."
Will have holiday events
Implication is, thus far, anti-bot measures are limited to the fact that content is dynamic (have to dodge telegraphs, nodes of crafting materials will run away from you). This was coming from the PvP team so there is a good chance their knowledge is limited

Jen Gordy - Lead PvP Designer
Chris Lynch - Lead Combat Designer
Hugh Shelton - Lead Class Designer. Beard enthusiast. Classy.
Troy Hewitt - Community Director and Producer. People like his face.
David Bass - Community Manager

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Currently swapping specs is easy. Player feedback is making them second-guess this.

Sounds like a good amount of neckbeards got into beta.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think the white afro guy is actually from Michigan unless I'm thinking of someone else. Anyhow, thanks for that interview link. Now I'll have something to listen to while dicking around in NW later on tonight.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate

Sounds like a good amount of neckbeards got into beta.
Oh great, Carbine Studios managed to invite the standard group of assholes into beta where all they do is shit on the fun.

Hey Wildstar Devs that I know are reading this: Stop listening to neckbeards, they are almost as bad as clickers.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Odd I didn't even get a cocktease video this morning(got all the previous ones).
Almost.

I really hope to see some form of guild housing come out. I also like that tanks are useful in PvP. Not that I care, I'm going straight healer, but it's good to see tanks being useful outside of a raid.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh great, Carbine Studios managed to invite the standard group of assholes into beta where all they do is shit on the fun.

Hey Wildstar Devs that I know are reading this: Stop listening to neckbeards, they are almost as bad as clickers.
Whenever I see something like this I honestly wonder who on Earth thinks that forcing us to go back to a city to respec at the trainer is somehow meaningful fucking gameplay.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
I know GBTv is based on the West Coast, you'd think they could get that kid with a giant white-person afro to go play the game for them. I think he's their WOW raid show guy.
I'm assuming you mean Lore, he's on the East Coast. He is actually leaving GBtv in a week or two, he was hired by Blizzard recently.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Whenever I see something like this I honestly wonder who on Earth thinks that forcing us to go back to a city to respec at the trainer is somehow meaningful fucking gameplay.
Not having duel spec or easy respec has serious gameplay consequences. Queues go up, raids become more of a pain in the ass and you also limit the replay value from people not going for multiple sets of gear. I get the sneaky suspicion they picked a lot of people from some of those Wildstar fansites that do nothing but gobble Carbines cock and tell them how great they are.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Bare minimum a lack of dualspec or easy respec keeps players from playing both pvp and pve aspects of your game effectively at the same time without serious effort.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
On the other hand, I sure hate having to respec every other encounter in a raid situation because the game is build around that. I guess I'm in the minority, but I kind of like there being some consequence to my choices and playstyle. I definitely don't want permanent skill lock-in or anything, but I personally don't mind totally changing my chars abilities having some drawback, even if thats just the annoyance of wasted time. I'm a glutton for punishment! (TOTALLY a fan of dual, or tri specs)

On another note, I was talking to a friend last night (perhaps arguing would be a better term) about my concern with race/path abilities. I'm personally a spreadsheet min/maxing junkie. I'll spend more time in a day researching what the optimal combat rotations, gear, and WHATEVER is, than playing the game sometimes. If being a a blacksmith gets me that 1% crit better than something else, I'll go blacksmith. I really like to know, that when I join a raid or whatever, that I am doing everything in my power to be the absolute best player I can be, even if some of the things likely make so little of a difference as to be useless (Yeah, I did .003% more total damage due to that race change!). Now, my concern is that the more variables you put into a class that directly affect combat, the narrower you make that "This is the optimal build". For example, if I want to play a healer and it turns out that an Aurin Esper Scientist at endgame has 3% more crit that other race, with a passivly larger mana pool due to scientist, or a skill that only that race path cobo gets that works insanely well with esper is... thats what I'm rolling. It doesn't matter that maybe another race appeals to me, or I really liked the idea of settler. I know at endgame I will feel like I've gone a suboptimal route, and will never be able to be quite as good as that other guy, and it will annoy me. So, while I really love the idea of paths, I'm nervous about skills being tied to them.

My friend is of the opinion I'm an idiot for enjoying the min/max aspect of gaming, and that I shouldn't look into any of that, care about any of that, and just enjoy playing whatever I like. I'm curious, am I really in the minority there?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
On the other hand, I sure hate having to respec every other encounter in a raid situation because the game is build around that. I guess I'm in the minority, but I kind of like there being some consequence to my choices and playstyle. I definitely don't want permanent skill lock-in or anything, but I personally don't mind totally changing my chars abilities having some drawback, even if thats just the annoyance of wasted time. I'm a glutton for punishment!

On another note, I was talking to a friend last night (perhaps arguing would be a better term) about my concern with race/path abilities. I'm personally a spreadsheet min/maxing junkie. I'll spend more time in a day researching what the optimal combat rotations, gear, and WHATEVER is, than playing the game sometimes. If being a a blacksmith gets me that 1% crit better than something else, I'll go blacksmith. I really like to know, that when I join a raid or whatever, that I am doing everything in my power to be the absolute best player I can be, even if some of the things likely make so little of a difference as to be useless (Yeah, I did .003% more total damage due to that race change!). Now, my concern is that the more variables you put into a class that directly affect combat, the narrower you make that "This is the optimal build". For example, if I want to play a healer and it turns out that an Aurin Esper Scientist at endgame has 3% more crit that other race, with a passivly larger mana pool due to scientist, or a skill that only that race path cobo gets that works insanely well with esper is... thats what I'm rolling. It doesn't matter that maybe another race appeals to me, or I really liked the idea of settler. I know at endgame I will feel like I've gone a suboptimal route, and will never be able to be quite as good as that other guy, and it will annoy me. So, while I really love the idea of paths, I'm nervous about skills being tied to them.

My friend is of the opinion I'm an idiot for enjoying the min/max aspect of gaming, and that I shouldn't look into any of that, care about any of that, and just enjoy playing whatever I like. I'm curious, am I really in the minority there?
While I disagree with you not wanting respec. I couldn't agree more about racial and crafting bonuses. If they do that then they eliminate any choice I have in crafting or race. I will be pretty much forced into the ideal set up because of bonuses. Past games have shown us this by looking at class/race/profession data.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Every single class in this game is a DPS/X where X is a tank or healer. You have to have dual spec. That was actually a fun part of RIFT having 4-5 different specs for different fights. It's one of the things the game always did right.