Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Lets start at the top. There was no hyperbole, sarcasm, or assumptions. Everything I stated were facts.

Older games had shit to do, unless your version of old is WoW Vanilla. EQ/DAOC/FFXI, which were the "older" games that everyone mentions (if you are talking Merdian or something else, I have no idea what to say to you. Hug UO more?) had jack and shit to do outside of a very small subset of actions. Either you were raiding and killing shit, or you were leveling an alt, or running dungeons/camping shit to get items. Which, literally, every game ever has had and will continue to have. Older games offered absolutely -nothing- that modern games do not offer, and you stating anything similar is you simply not knowing what you are talking about. That is a fact, by the way.

Games are not designed around direct reward. The token system is a patch for the majority of any group feeling like they wasted their time. That is not direct reward, that is a consolation prize in every world. The playerbase doesn't become entitled because they get a timer to an item; they know that they aren't being fucked with if they get something after x amount of attempts that is most likely -still- not best in slot or anything even close. If you had actually played any of the games you think do this, you would know you are completely wrong 100% of the time. This is a favorite and completely wrong argument of the mmo hipster crowd who simply don't know what the fuck they are talking about like to parrot. You literally cannot be more wrong on this, and that's not an opinion.

I'm glad you had an interaction with someone who refuted the statement " Xev-holes are more tangibly winning, because if you run a dungeon, and it takes x amount of time to earn y amount of dungeon-currency, etc, guess what, now there's even less random chance and luck for the person who plays less. At least in a more open-world style system, you might sometimes get lucky, instead of being able to plot out your inferiority ahead of time." because if you had ever actually played any MMORPGS ever, you would know that luck and chance play a massive fucking part of you getting anything in any game, ever. Those players can still get lucky, and do, in every game released since whatever heyday you think existed, because those mechanics still exist in every game ever. You are just too retarded to see this point, which is fine; retards have their rights too.

Timing is still player controlled, and for you to say otherwise just shows your complete inability to understand what the words you type mean. Grouping mechanics previously were "do you have enough time? no? Fuck you" and now they are "Can you run something and complete it, within the time constraints? No? Fuck you." This hasn't changed at all in the years between when you apparently played an mmo and when you read about one. Your concepts of "If you don't have 5 hours, here's 5 different 1 hour things" has absolutely no place in reality. What they have done, is create levels of content that require various amounts of time. Big raids still take shitloads of time. Small dungeon adventures don't take nearly as long. Except for now you know what you are getting into without having to fuck around all day waiting for an invite. This is bad... how? It isn't overdesigned. It is offering various targets for various groups. Guess what, cupcake. You can still spend 5 hours doing something in modern mmos and not be punished for it, in any game ever. In fact, your ability to do so increases your power just as much as being able to spend 5 hours in the "old" games increased it. You are wrong, and laughably so.

Lets talk EQ, since you brought it up again. Time was always a factor, and saying otherwise just makes you look like an idiot. My argument that you failed to even come close to addressing was that time constraints existed in previous games, so developing around time constraints means little, since the idea was already there. Them developing 30 minute dungeons? Means jack and shit, because the mechanic difference between the "open" dungeons of EQ (Yeah, alright dude) and instances is that people running instances are generally doing something while camping a static spawn in EQ means they sit on their ass 90% of the time. I played a SK and I pulled in every group I ever worked with, so I know exactly what I'm talking about. Them taking control out of the player's hands is just you being salty that modern games have moved away from the camping mechanic. Which is fine and you can be salty, but it doesn't make your position any less retarded when it comes to a game sense.

The "Don't Come" mechanic existed, and if you are posting from the position of a main tank or cleric, fuck right the hell off. Your opinion means shit in those cases. If you are a DPS, I'm glad you had a permagroup that waited for you to log on and kicked people to make room for you or left an empty spot just in case you would log in. By the way? That shit didn't happen for 99% of the playerbase. Those other players who weren't in your unique position or one of those classes? Yeah, they waited hours, and weighed their time spent in the game on "Should I log in if I'm not going to get a group?" or not. I can't even see how this is an arguable thing; it literally happened every day during the heyday of EQ's career.

EQ was "open raiding" for the first raids it had, ie, Vox and Naggy. Every other raid after that sure as hell wasn't open. Yes, you -could- bring 100 players to a 30 player event. It didn't magically change the amount of loot that dropped. Even EQ was optimized for specific raid sizes, regardless of how many people you brought. Unless you are making the argument that EQ devs had no fucking idea what they were doing, in which case I'd agree with you. Modern raids (Oh yeah, EQ had capped raids in 2003. How old are we talking here, son?) still reward the same amount of loot for increasing numbers of players, it is just "better" loot these days. Not "only loot" as it was in EQ's heyday. Also, dude... open being purely player max is a stupid metric, and I hope you know that. In basically every mainstream game today, you can join open raids to get loot. This is a real thing, and if you had played anything after EQ1, you would know that.

You not realizing that people used spreadsheets and exact science when working with EQ raiding just shows your ignorance. I wish Furor or Thott or... literally any guild leader ever would stop in to say how retarded you are, but I'll go ahead and just do it for them. You have no fucking idea what you are talking about, period. You must have literally never raided ever or at least never raided current content as it applies to everquest.

Seriously dude, you could not be more wrong on so many points. Dumar, is this you?
I'm gonna be honest and say I can't fucking follow what you're talking about. Like literally, that paragraph about 'old' games was hard to follow from a English language standpoint. I don't even feel like you're replying to me, but perhaps are just so used to arguing with fucktards like Merlin and Dumar you should take it up with them. I enjoy discussion, but am not a fan of the forum strat where someone says one sliver of something, you expound upon it to your own ends, build arguments the original poster wonders why you're bothering with, and then claim they're a retarded like some other poster.

I mean, raids in EQ after the original dragons weren't open because you COULD bring more (open?) but wouldn't want to? That's open. You may not like it, and you may not have brought more, but it's literally the definition of open compared to the current mechanic of being hard-capped. Same with dungeons. OPEN. As in you were there, so were others, if you needed help they were there, you could team up. And before you go on some rant about camp checks, the point is that's open, compared to your group having its own private instance.

It's pretty easy to claim what everyone else was doing and then refuse to believe that's what I and my guilds were doing. But that kind of shit right there shows you're more interested in ranting for your own means so you can call someone a retard.

No thanks, retard.

Xevy

Log Wizard
So you want open world static mobs? Like I said, that will only work with a GOOD COMMUNITY that the cess pool that is MMORPG players cannot field. You're going to have dickbags camping the best items 24/7 handing off their accounts to their roommates. You're going to have massive PRX style guilds going unchallenged. It. Won't. Fucking. Work.

I'd love to have that again, but we never will. Kids grow their hair out nowadays grandpa, get used to it.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
So you want open world static mobs? Like I said, that will only work with a GOOD COMMUNITY that the cess pool that is MMORPG players cannot field. You're going to have dickbags camping the best items 24/7 handing off their accounts to their roommates. You're going to have massive PRX style guilds going unchallenged. It. Won't. Fucking. Work.

I'd love to have that again, but we never will. Kids grow their hair out nowadays grandpa, get used to it.
Wait, you want to go back to the exact thing you say we can't have today that was the exact thing we had? And you say the reason we can't have it today is the community is no longer good, and because it's not good, we'd have the negative aspects you say are the result of a bad community, which are also the results of the good community you wish you could go back to?

How the holy fuck does that make sense?

It's circular, defensive reasoning, to defend what? The fact you simply like not having to interact with the general public? The preference for being rewarded with a constant stream of chimes and loot in your own private instance?

What are you really trying to protect against that makes you somehow claim we can't have an open world game because the community is bad, and we'd have all the negative ramifications of a bad community, because the community just isn't good like it used to be, when we had all those exact same negative ramifications.

Pro tip: all that shit you fear is exactly what builds the so-called good community you'd love to have again.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I said I'd love to have it again, but we won't. I'd love to be 16 again and have my beard be impressive and not mistake for a hipster wardrobe item. But that can't happen.

The people who played EQ were not the general populace of gamers. The people that play WoW are. They are very different beasts.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Freeform telegraphs are the same as wow tab-target combat? OK.
rolleyes.png

A fake dodge key? Not sure what you mean by that. Dodging works perfectly in this game.

At launch of FFXIV you could be strafing out of a telegraph while it was casting and still get hit by it because character position updates were done very infrequently. That's pretty retarded for a game with so little going on in combat to be intentionally bottle-necked by the engineers of the game. They've since improved it, i've heard, but I haven't been back to test it.

This game succeeded in blending action combat and fast paced movement, without that above garbage from FFXIV. You can walk out of a telegraph or dodge out, only be out of the area of effect for a fraction of a second, and you WON'T get hit by the attack. The responsiveness of the combat system is up there with wow, nothing else is even close. Oceanic players do have a right to complain, for sure, but as you said that's latency.

Wildstar had a two big problems that led to it's massive hemorrhaging of players before they even experienced the content.

1. Every class played like garbage 1-1-2-1-1-3 until you got to level 25 and opened up your first Tier 4. That's far too long to open up the interesting parts of your classes, because the Draegans have already quit by that point.

2. Raid attunement -was- too hard for the average, anti-social MMO player that doesn't want to join a guild. This has been changed since then and people are now able to derp their way into the first raid.

Those two things combined caused like 75% of the people that were interested in the game from devspeak videos to quit before they even got there themselves. The "HARDCORE" idea doesn't even hold up because the first 3 content patches were all solo content that doesn't help the hardcore players at all. Game was totally mismanaged, no clear direction from the studio as a whole.
Wildstar combat was identical to wow. Then they added a handful of pbaoe abilities with red shit on the ground. Then they added more. Then they made npcs have them. It slowly turned into what is there now. It's wow combat but every ability in the game is cone of cold.

It was never designed from the ground up to be what it is. It's a mishmash of shit design layered on top of shit design.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Wildstar combat was identical to wow. Then they added a handful of pbaoe abilities with red shit on the ground. Then they added more. Then they made npcs have them. It slowly turned into what is there now. It's wow combat but every ability in the game is cone of cold.

It was never designed from the ground up to be what it is. It's a mishmash of shit design layered on top of shit design.
For someone who bitches and complains all the time about WoW-style combat with tab targetting, it sure did seem odd to find out you were back to playing WoW. Having played both, WS combat takes more skill that WoW in my opinion. The tougher combat helped make the solo quest grind more interesting.

Artifa

N00b

So what you're saying is it isn't wow combat anymore. It's definitely not tab-target, which is what most people mean by wow combat.

The cone of cold explanation is pretty spot on. The telegraphs and therefore the abilities in wildstar are made of up different ranges, different shapes, some PBAoE, some long range lines, or small squares around or in front of yourself, etc that you can see. The telegraphs made by bosses and other NPCs can get pretty complicated. The description someone made of a "laser light show" that keeps people's focus on the ground more than the boss models is accurate. Since the game has only 1-2 unique boss models per raid zone (most models are re-used or shared) it works surprisingly well. It keeps the encounter design focused around something they have control over and can adjust relatively quickly - 2d and 3d shapes, basically.

Its not like you could re-balance a Dark Souls boss over the weekend if its found to work like shit. You need art, animation and possibly engineering changes to re-work combat on that scale. Are telegraphs the end-all be-all of MMO design? No, I don't think so, but they work better than tab target in this game. Almost all abilities have 2-5 target caps, and aiming your attack to cleave multiple targets is the dps skill check, in addition to surviving. The trade off is you don't have overly complex rotations, there's a limited action set that you've got to constantly change on a fight by fight basis. Rotations are fairly simple (but there are still nuances to perfect them).

A new player hopping into a raid for the first time has a lot of adjustments to make, even before you consider addons. The default setting in Wildstar is full spell effects which cause people to step into raids and not be able to see a damn thing aside from exploding particles and telegraphs. The options for this are in the escape menu. The default red for enemy and green for helpful telegraphs actually clash with the floor in some areas, and the settings to change the telegraph colors are limited and hidden in the escape menu.

Carbine isn't doing itself any favors there, but that's nothing new.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
For someone who bitches and complains all the time about WoW-style combat with tab targetting, it sure did seem odd to find out you were back to playing WoW. Having played both, WS combat takes more skill that WoW in my opinion. The tougher combat helped make the solo quest grind more interesting.
I played WOW to play with people on this board. I didn't have enough time to do so, so I quit. The game was boring as fuck, but the people were fun.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Just for the sake of discussion, GW2 has the best hybrid between pure action and tab target combat. TERA has the best mechanical combat system out there. Neverwinter is very good too, and before any of these games came out DDO was the best imo. (I always forget about DCUO, it's really good as well)

The problem with Wildstar is that you have to hold down, spam press, or spam click or hold down and click a single button for combat. The ergonomics are just bad design. So on the keyboard you have to hold down or spam the 1 key (or whatever key) and control your character with WASD. If you go with the mouse control scheme with the addon, it makes it better, with the left mouse button, but the system was not designed for that. Your spam attack just has no weight or heft to it. It's just a way to paint the ground red/green.

The better alternative would be allowing you to set an ability for auto firing like GW2 (you could set any ability to do that). Or just make the combat more interesting and not need your character to constantly spam an attack. MOBAs do this tremendously well.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Wildstar is where Draegan gets to act like Dumar/Tad etc. Don't take that way from him.
Hardly the same thing since Tad/Dumar rail against one of the most popular games of all time; at least in my case Wildstar failed miserably and for good reason. However, I can say a lot of good things about this game if anyone actually cared.

Artifa

N00b
Just for the sake of discussion, GW2 has the best hybrid between pure action and tab target combat. TERA has the best mechanical combat system out there. Neverwinter is very good too, and before any of these games came out DDO was the best imo. (I always forget about DCUO, it's really good as well)

The problem with Wildstar is that you have to hold down, spam press, or spam click or hold down and click a single button for combat. The ergonomics are just bad design. So on the keyboard you have to hold down or spam the 1 key (or whatever key) and control your character with WASD. If you go with the mouse control scheme with the addon, it makes it better, with the left mouse button, but the system was not designed for that. Your spam attack just has no weight or heft to it. It's just a way to paint the ground red/green.

The better alternative would be allowing you to set an ability for auto firing like GW2 (you could set any ability to do that). Or just make the combat more interesting and not need your character to constantly spam an attack. MOBAs do this tremendously well.
Yeah, a lot of people use gaming mice or macro keyboards to do the auto-casting. Moving with WASD and hitting 1-4 plus a few buttons on the side of your mouse is doable.

But it shouldn't be a thing that you need specific hardware to accomplish. Goes along with what i was saying about the default settings of the game being ass. The default keybindings and options suck and that turns a lot of people off immediately.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>

precisely. and if you ever played the game outside of 80ms latency (the game also had some of the most shit netcode imaginable, i've played indie games on shoestring budgets with better server connections), ie if you were more than a few states away from the server, or heaven forbid an ocean or more away, you would see this.

It was a generic hotbar combat MMO. at some point in the development they realized it wasn't very fun, but they didn't have enough money to scrap it and restart. They saw all these games coming out that featured action combat and decided to piggyback those ideas and incorporate them into their game, but either didn't have a clue how to do that or didn't have the money to redesign their netcode or their basic combat fundamentals to support real action combat.

Here's a barney style breakdown of the differences between an actual action combat MMO and hotbar combat MMOs:

Hotbar combat:
Server tells client you are in range (this is built in to the hotbar typically, either button is greyed out or when you try to activate you get an error telling you not in range).
player activates ability, client tells server to perform action.
server resolves action including another check if you are in range
server tells client to draw animation, new health totals, etc. ***this is when wildstar draws telegraphs. but it's entirely client side so it only appears where the client thinks it should, not where the server does***
client draws animation including telegraphs, shows dmg, hp bar reduced, etc.
this whole process takes fractions of a second, maybe 100-200ms + whatever animation time on the client, which is simply animations after the fact and are irrelevant.

For wildstar the dodge ability's only function is to move the player out of range between "isinrange" initial check and the "isinrange" server resolution check, immediately prior to damage/effect being dealt. It gives a very narrow window for a real dodge action to occur, and in regards to PVE in almost all cases unless you have ungodly low latency, it is why the initial ticks of dmg are very low and you are actually dodging the follow up damage from moving out of the rain of arrows or waves of fire or mortar blasts whatever the ability used was.

Action Combat:
Server tells client you are in range (this is built in to the hotbar typically, either button is greyed out or when you try to activate you get an error telling you not in range).
player activates ability, client tells server to perform action.
server tells client to draw animation, which is almost exclusively an animation lock, which allows telegraph to depict precise location effect will be delivered.
client draws animation and telegraph
server resolves action including followup "isinrange" check and then applies damage/effects, tells client to draw resolution ie new health bar totals, dmg, etc.
this transaction takes slightly longer, because it includes the entire animation lock time.

Dodging or other active defenses ie certain abilities are not just nullifying "isinrange" check, they are (again almost exclusively) utilizing iframes which greatly cutdown on any issues caused by latency.

Because Action games utilize animation lock and because your latency will be different depending on how far you are from the server and other factors, you know when you should dodge based on where you are playing. Telegraphs are used sparingly and you rely more so on knowing animations (player classes or bosses, ie for pvp or pve). If the animation is 1.5s long and it is the character raising a 2h sword over his head and then bringing it down dealing massive aoe dmg+knockdown, If you have low latency you learn to dodge right before the sword comes down, while if you have higher latency you dodge half a second earlier, as the character is bringing the sword over his head. both players dodge action gets to the server at the same time and they both dodge, and the iframe covers minimal latency during the resolution.

tldr: among a host of other things, Action combat does the resolution checks at the end of the animation instead of at the beginning. Wildstar is a hotbar game that added laser light shows on top of it, and it shows.

in japan connecting to US MMO servers I typically run anywhere from 200-250ms which is slightly noticable but playable in most every game, action or otherwise. extremely competitive FPS probably not so much but just dicking around on a battlefield server with my buddies i'm ok. Wildstar though runs 300-500ms which is basically half a second behind. and with this high of latency you get to see where all the cracks are in their combat and netcode. like status effects like knockdowns etc apply in the initial tick which means by the time the game tells me to draw the telegraph to avoid something it is also drawing at the same time my character on the ground and unable to dodge anything. Also that their telegraphs are entirely client side and do not represent where you are actually located on the server, ie i'm well outside of a telegraph drawn for me but still taking the damage/effect etc because the aoes are just doing a simple "isinrange" check just like any other hotbar game. dodging is in practice identical to just running out of any DoT AOE in any other hotbar game like wow or SWTOR or whatever, it's just slightly faster than running so you take less damage . you take a tick or two of dmg and then you stop taking it when you are no longer "isinrange".

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
To further illustrate the differences between the two systems and to give an example of an action game fucking up, a little less than 2 years ago Neverwinter broke all the dragon NPCs aoes. This was when the game was harder and they were trying to make the dragons a little easier by extending the time frame that telegraphs were displayed before damage resolution was done. instead what they did was move the "draw telegraph" portion up in the order of operations to the initial "isinrange" check, and extended the time that telegraphs remained on the ground. Everything else remained the same.

So what happened was, the game would draw the telegraph for the breath weapon where the player was standing, and the player would dodge or run out of the red area as normal, thinking they were now safe because they were no longer in the red area. AND THEN the server would do the "isinrange" check, have client draw the animation, resolve the action and deal damage to the character (basically would either kill or nearly kill the player depending on the dragon/attack used).

This was after beta so at the time maybe the top 20% of players could farm CN, but after this change only the top 5% could. Bads were in complete uproar because dragons were now "impossible" because all they knew was just look at the floor and avoid red. Us good players only ever watched animations and since animations hadn't changed, the dragons head was still pointing directly at where the fireball was going to go, they just dodged the attacks rather than the red, and made an absolute killing on all the CN weapons as the prices skyrocketed and the few guilds who could reliably farm CN all formed a cartel and didn't compete on prices. Made more AD in that month or so dragons were broken then I did in a year and half afterward.

That's what wildstar was, minus the animation lock. So it's just people running around looking at the floor avoiding red, with splitbody characters so your legs are running one way avoiding red patches while the top half of your body is contorted in the extreme and your gun is over your shoulder firing at the boss behind you. I don't know why people think that it was hard or difficult or hardcore at all. It was a shit design, but easily overcome by playing like a retarded monkey. (before i moved to japan, after that the game was laughably unplayable)

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Yeah, a lot of people use gaming mice or macro keyboards to do the auto-casting. Moving with WASD and hitting 1-4 plus a few buttons on the side of your mouse is doable.

But it shouldn't be a thing that you need specific hardware to accomplish. Goes along with what i was saying about the default settings of the game being ass. The default keybindings and options suck and that turns a lot of people off immediately.
The issue is fatigue. It's not hard to do for short spans of time, but it's every single second of combat. It's dull and tiring.

iannis

Musty Nester

Recommended specs for wildstar actually INCLUDED a naga or razer.

I mean fuck those guys. They designed around mouse macros.

Seriously. Fuck those guys. Just to be EXTRA insulting about it they made the default UI a clusterfuck of terrible. And instead of working to fix it, they took 3 months to basically not change it in any substantative way and then went, "lol noobs. curst will publish all the ui mods!"

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
The issue is fatigue. It's not hard to do for short spans of time, but it's every single second of combat. It's dull and tiring.
This is what my buddy said when we were talking about Wildstar. He prefers his MMO gameplay more laid back... more strategic instead of mechanical button mashing fury. For button-mashing fury he'd rather play LoL in 20-40 min increments.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
This is what my buddy said when we were talking about Wildstar. He prefers his MMO gameplay more laid back... more strategic instead of mechanical button mashing fury. For button-mashing fury he'd rather play LoL in 20-40 min increments.
What MMO out there right now supports "laid back" gameplay? Every MMO I have played for the past 10 years has required active button mashing as soon as the global cooldown was over in order to play your character competently.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
What MMO out there right now supports "laid back" gameplay? Every MMO I have played for the past 10 years has required active button mashing as soon as the global cooldown was over in order to play your character competently.
These friends just alternate between EQ99 and wow vanilla emus. They want to smoke bowls, bullshit, and grind mobs. The direction modern MMOs have gone aren't their thing; they don't want "twitch" in an MMO.