Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Has there been any front on that?

I really almost expect an "Unintentional" leak of all the necessities for a private server at this point.

Kinda stupid not to do that..

I know the EFF has been barking up the tree of "MMO -server only- type games should be legal to emulate if the parent company drops the game" for a while now.

It's surreal to me that a game like LOTRO can be up and running for over a decade and this can barely pull in enough to exist.
One game is an original IP and one is based on a series that has been published as much as the Bible. What’s surreal about that?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
One game is an original IP and one is based on a series that has been published as much as the Bible. What’s surreal about that?

Well, wildstar didn't seem to have much overhead cost, they didn't have expansions in the works..ect

LOTRO still updates pretty regularly to this day, so I assume their overhead cost is more than 0.

I really don't know the numbers on LOTRO players or revenue though.

Thats kinda what I'm saying though, one game was out for a pretty short amount of time while the other has been running for a LONG time and basically, seemingly, on fumes.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I apologize for not bashing this game during beta enough for other people to realize it was never going anywhere. Many of us made the mistake of not caring and forgetting to flame a game we were never going to play.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
All i remember about this was Draegen shilling the shit out of it on Rerolled

He was shilling Crowfall and didn't like any potential competition!

I'll always love Wildstar for actually being challenging for PVE. Not many games do that anymore.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Of all the shit MMO’s out there I find it weird that Wildstar couldn’t be kept on life support.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
A game that actually listened to the poopsockers too much. Despite having a lot of great casual systems like housing.

Shame.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thoroughly enjoyed the game (and the sense of humor) but the quest/info window UI felt like a first beta pass or something from SW:G; really not flashy at all for such an out there art style game. The difficulty of the first dungeon (maybe it was just the first dungeon for the "rebels" or whatever; the last boss was like a storm bird or something I think?) was pretty hilarious though. DPS couldn't be assed to have those interrupt shield destroying abilities, so bosses would just continuously murder people, and the deeps couldn't figure shit out. Plus healers were really bad about doing the healing part because (if I remember right) the majority of healing was AE/Cone based, and not tab target. So after failing to interrupt things, the healer was usually too far away to heal and it was just chain wipes. I distinctly remember having to respec as a warrior into something with as many interrupts as possible, gimping my threat and damage output a lot, just so groups could progress. So many newbs quit in frustration over that dungeon, I'm sure. Especially since I think it blocked progress in the game so you couldn't even get to other areas/systems in the game.

Would have been fun with a dedicated group/s, but pugs were just failfests most of the time. Not great for random player retention.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
He was shilling Crowfall and didn't like any potential competition!

I'll always love Wildstar for actually being challenging for PVE. Not many games do that anymore.
Pretty much this. As someone who played with a static, Wildstar remains a highlight for me from an MMO perspective. Engineer remains one of the more 'fun' classes to play from a tanking perspective for me. While Datascape was amazing, I do think they wasted a tremendous amount of resources on it that should have been better suited on providing alternative casual content though. Oh well!

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I loved the cute rabbit skateboard, and the music was good!

Did someone get a source leak to help with emulating?

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of the best raid contents
I've heard this many times but I disagree. This game was the embodiment of the modern direction of raid encounters - zoom out to a birds eye view and dodge the endless telegraphs. Red circles/rectangles/cones/lasers of death are the laziest form of difficulty.

• 1Moron

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've heard this many times but I disagree. This game was the embodiment of the modern direction of raid encounters - zoom out to a birds eye view and dodge the endless telegraphs. Red circles/rectangles/cones/lasers of death are the laziest form of difficulty.
It would have been if they would not have tried to push 40 man raids, going from 20 to 40 just did not work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
CuteBoard.png

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The leveling was just so boring and mindless, by the time I was around level 10 I just had no desire to ever play it again