Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I had not played the game since they stopped last year because I had enough time back then to know that I really liked it, and didn't want to spoil it before release by playing too much.
smile.png

I decided to try it again this weekend, mostly just to give the medic and engineer a try since they were not in when I had played before.

I realized that I really miss playing it. I can't wait for this to be release...pretty much set on either engineer or Spellslinger for release...or most likely both , one on each side.
smile.png

The thing is I am not tired of quest based progression, and moving from quest hub to quest hub....sure something new would be cool...but I am still able to enjoy that type of game.

I am just having fun. One thing about the combat after playing Blade and Soul...while I think BnS combat is more spectacular and tons of fun...I enjoy Wildstar a little bit more...I felt more free. BnS combat is awesome, but after this weekend I realized that half the time...you're just watching the super cool animation and are not in control. It's a small thing but I felt the difference big time.

Still hope they bring BnS here though because it's pretty cool too.

My Chua is off for now, probably reading his 50 shades of green book he found.
smile.png

Can't say that I have particularly enjoyed the weekend. Someone posted earlier that it was visually cluttered and that is the description that best matches my feelings. There are no specific examples to point to, just a general feeling or impression of clutter that permeates my whole experience.
Exactly how i felt about the game , shit was just in the way of me enjoying the game.The combat was interesting but the quest experience and world and everyhting else just felt like throw up splattered on my screen and me trying to wad through it. Too bad , cause with a tad more work on the combat it couldve been fun for me.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I was the one that said it was visually cluttered or perhaps one of the ones, I got up to level ten and by then the camps I was questing out of were just made up of 2 or 3 people and some settler path vendor and buff stalls. That first town after the starting island is definitely a cluster fuck but it does thin out.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Edit: 2 more complaints, which basically also equate to button mashing. Looting by having to press 'v' all the fucking time, and sprinting by holding down shift. All in all those are minor issues, but they become major annoyances when you literally have to press them hundreds of times an hour. The looting one actually becomes worse when you don't actually get to see what you're sucking up (outside of the little box at the top). Why not just implement auto-loot if I don't get to pick and choose? Why make me press a button?
Don't forget about the greatest gaming innovation of our lives, quick time events. Want to open that chest? Mash your action button some. Need to activate that console? Mash your button at the specific points. Get stunned in combat? Mash your button some more.

Maybe that isn't strictly QTE, but whatever. All I could think of was raiding and what great mechanic was going to be built around this great innovation.

DarkMatter

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I saw an posted a few times on the Dodge the Fire the Game thread. The people in favor are going to be the same people dying every 2 seconds in the endgame stuff. The shapes they use for some of the templates, even at around 15 or so are fairly insane, jagging things that spin like sprinklers, triple pointed things that fire off one at a time, all the stuff eventually overlaps if you have more than one mob and becomes a mess. While you can survive "missing" in the level up content, if the stuff looks like this at level 15, it certainly won't be easier at endgame. And yes the button mash stuff got on my nerves early on, as again, it just gets more tedious as you level up. The almost have something with WS, but it's like the art and design team threw ideas in a hat and there was no filter, everything was just dumped in. The "clutter" thing comes down to the use of color in some areas as well, it's like a fat kid sat on a box of crayolas. With all that said, if they could adjust some things it might actually turn into to something better than average, but my guess is they are committed at this point.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the real question is why are you dodging red shit rather than just interupting it and getting the +50% damage from it. you never need to dodge out of it since most classes get at least 2 interupts.

DarkMatter

Trakanon Raider
Interrupting works up to a point. They have long recharges until you spec into them (at least the warrior kick did). I got a death grip style thing which functioned similarly which helped. There were also a few larger bosses that couldn't interrupted.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. It's not "don't stand in the fire: the game" its "wait for the mobs to put the fire down so that you can pewpew them".

It's kinda goofy. Up at higher levels mobs that don't telegraph as often are actually harder (take longer) than the mobs that try to telegraph your face in. They don't explain that mechanic. They just sort of assume that you're going to eventually notice if you CC something while it is telegraphing then you get bonus damage. Judging by how many people complain about the Engineer class being bad -- I don't think people are catching on.

Engineer eats face in pve if you are willing to use what little strategy there is involved with the telegraph system.

But then, they're gonna be giving it some "love". Prison love. RIP in peace Spellslingers using more than 3 buttons.

iannis

Musty Nester
Interrupting works up to a point. They have long recharges until you spec into them (at least the warrior kick did). I got a death grip style thing which functioned similarly which helped. There were also a few larger bosses that couldn't interrupted.
Oh. That explains it. It's a real problem with class balance. Yeah, warriors only get that 1 interrupt on a long cooldown. Espers are the same way, but espers can self-heal and range where warriors can't self-heal and have to block the 1st telegraph tick with their face.

You get wildly different experiences with the system based on ranged|melee and you get wildly different results based on pve|pvp. Diversity is a good thing and I don't think that every classshouldplay the same. If they do, why bother having more than 1 class? But... there's a problem on the back end. There's basically only 1 useful interaction with the telegraphs (cc them) and different classes get different levels of access to that single important interaction without really being compensated for the lack. So that's kind of a problem for soloing. It's kind of a big problem.

It does even out in groups. Warriors are actually pretty good in groups as deeps (unless that changed recently, but I don't think it did).

I read this, barfed in my mouth a little and sighed. You just made my point. It is all 'Back to the Future' with you.
At least you had the grace to say it is only your preference, the issue I was addressing was the retards that shitbomb every MMO thread with 'you will play EQ forever otherwise you are weak and unmanly'. So I should probably apologise for being a little snippy.
What amazes me is that you haven't read everybody's posts as declarations of preference. I mean, take Dumar and Itzena. The dudes have fairly identifiable preferences, but that's all we have, as humans. It's not like there is a single truth about good game design that the devs need to discover.

Now, some game design and implementation can work better or worse for the stated goals of the project, and that, I feel, is the context in which the goodness of design and implementation can be seriously discussed. I looked over the Wildstar fora just now, and there are plenty of testers who wish that the tedium of kill quests be done away with.

They feel killing 10 of the same mob is too much tedium. 10. That's, what, a couple of minutes' worth of fighting? And that's too much killing in an MMO? 10 mobs at a camp is too much? 'I already knew how to kill them by mob 3, so why did I need to kill 7 more?' Wildstar has attracted - and probably will attract - precisely this sort of customer. The game would probably do better by doing away with the vestiges of virtual worldness and just put down more invisible walls and making an even more streamlined console game, because there for sure aren't enough of a virtual world and old-school game systems in there to get the pining-for-vanilla-wow market into the game.

What's the use of having the tedious to the action game player logistics in place - running back to town to train new skills or to cash a quest or to use a mailbox - when the actual positioning of the product in the marketplace has been and continues to be to attract the consumers who prefer tons of action and high APM? The design and implementation are self-contradictory.

So, what's your take on this? Will you say thatobviouslyWildstar needs to have the tedium of walking around in the world? I say it's not obvious at all. Indeed, I say that teleporting the avatars to the next fight would allow the game to have even more action! Frankly, they could also do away with items during leveling as well. Just have gear scale with level and for speccing, toggle healer/dps or tank/dps stance and be done with it. No need to have that sort of tedium in the leveling process since the game starts at max level anyway? Maybe have weapons drops like Borderlands has, so that the urge to loot is satisfied?

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well tbh, low lvl combat its fairly simple yes. Pointless to avoid telegraphs, when u can interrupts for a moo, and wrecks the mob. That its limited to the interrupt CD obv but still. At high lvl tho, its nother story. Veterans are the hardest things i experienced since vanilla version of rift heroics. Coordinating interrupts its a must, but is not always guarantee 100% due to boss ability of deflecting IA, so you need to adapts and fast.

Also there several skills bosses perform during a fight, which mean u cannot interrupt everything due to CDs (Example a miniboss in ssm dungeon where first she does a very fast aoe blind, then 1 person in the group get marked and pull all other close to him, and have a large area of effect pulsing dmg, and that while u still blinded so u do not actually see who has the effect. Then it will marks all ppl which will drop down small dmg area every second where u stand for 2 3 sec, wich will explode soon after).

Veteran adventures doesnt seem too hard, but dungeons are quite difficult. Dont remember the last time i ve wiped soo much in a dungeon tbh. Have not tried Raids yet, since we still lacking some 50s (should be this week), so cant comment on that, but veterans dungeons seem rather challenging atm.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
For any new MMO you can basically discount the opinion of anyone who says anything like .. 'WoW kiddie', 'on rails' or 'instant gratification'. They just want to everyone to be still playing the games they were playing 15 years ago so that they have someone to feel superior to in those games. This is kind of why the MMO forum gets a bit toxic and useless, after the 15 millionth post of 'make it like EQ or UO' most people just go elsewhere to talk MMO.
The basic question about any new MMO is 'is it worth the box price and free month or not?'. Wildstar seems to have something that TESO does not. I will probably give it a whirl and if I don't like it then shrug and move on with my life. It's not as if the devs are coming round to my place and skinning my cats or something.
No actually I want something new. But If I had a choice now in a new EQish or UOish game over this trash that's been and will be coming out, I would choose one of those in a heartbeat. Why? Well its not because they were better games or whatever. Simply because they would be different than what weve been getting, see? You say we want "make it like EO or UO" or make it like a game 15 yrs ago?, But the thing is, weve been playing wildstar for the last 10 yrs. This entire genre has been stalled, stuck in 2004 land. So either make something fresh and new or harken back to some good ole shit with a twist, but please, no more fucking wow clones.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Veteran dungeons deliver and the raid content is thus far challenging. I feel that some of the combat abilities need to be re-worked - the tier 8 abilities added a decent layer of depth to what was otherwise a pretty shallow combat rotation but you get that far too late in the game. I'd have liked a whole lot less solo quests and some actual elite areas (I love doing some of the 2-3 recommended player quests as a few of them can be quite challenging to do solo).

Going to be interesting to see what their release date plan looks like but I'll certainly be there opening day.

(I love doing some of the 2-3 recommended player quests as a few of them can be quite challenging to do solo).
What can I say? I don't see what's wrong with the model of weak kobolds / baby black puddings being worth 3k xp, nasty ninjas / Thomas Covenant / slutty nun being worth 15k xp and Blarglefloogah being worth GIGA xp, no level scaling, you get to choose whether you want to newbie group or lowbie solo baby black puddings, lowbie group-midbie solo ninjas or highbie group for Blargle and so forth. The lack of GET IT HERE in neon? No handy arrow that guides you to 'level appropriate' content?

I know, wrong thread for this comment. Wildstar will be all about 'appropriate content at appropriate pace' - and that's great, if you're into that. I just wonder... Have you guys ever given a sandbox game a shot?

Morph_hammer

Lord Nagafen Raider
Played it this weekend, rolled a warrior and got to level 5 or 6.

I didn't really find any innovative features. Just a bland questhub MMO with TERA style combat.

Also, I kinda dislike the childish graphic style, so meh not a buy for me at this point.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Well in my experience roughly 75% of your time in Wildstar is spent pressing your F key so I guess it just seemed natural