Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
Where did you read this?
It's been mentioned several times in different places and it's been talked about on the beta forums. Basically if you have been in the internal beta (not weekends) and you dont have at least one lv 32 character by a non-descript date, you will get purged. I'm guessing their reasoning behind this is to have semi-serious testers to test later content that have some idea of how to play their class.

Nothing is set in stone but that's what they have said. To the best of my knowledge, weekend testers can't no-life their way to lv 32 during a weekend beta to hail mary their way into beta, but who knows.

On a side note, I've collected a number of spare keys I might hand out to my friends. I have around 4 to 6 spare keys atm. If any of you guys weren't able to get a key for this weekend, PM me now until tommorrow. Probably sometime tommorrow afternoon I might dump the spare keys on you that I haven't used on a first come first serve basis. I'll pm you back to double check if you still need one.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I've played a couple weekends now and honestly I don't want to play again. I just want to get started on the actual game already, thank god diablo 3 is interesting again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What they've said is very ambiguous and vague. They said that having a lvl 32 by "mid march" will guarantee a spot in the future beta phase, however they have not said that not having a 32 guarantees getting removed(in fact they've said it's not the case). So why they bothered with it, why they haven't made an official announcement on it yet even though it's getting close now and the actual announcement was very easy to miss(other than people asking about it constantly), who knows. Weird stuff, my guess is it's more like if you have a 32 you'll be eligible for raid testing or some shit with premade 50s and what not, and if you don't you'll stay in "normal" closed beta which will get a mass wave of invites to do more large scale testing and shit.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A code for this beta-weekend: 8GA5-6ZU8-6MQ2-BHVT-NPQ9

Please post if you used it so others wil not try in vain.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
If this game doesn't become better optimized, I won't be buying it. I was hoping to hold out and buy a steam box when they get released, but still I'm getting completely unplayable rates of FPS while playing Wild*. I play other recent games just fine. Even though I'm not interested in ESO in the slightest, the FPS i was getting in that game was good enough for me. I can handle only getting 20-30 FPS sometimes but being below 5 or 10 or having random screen stuttering is too much.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd be amazed if they don't spend a few weeks getting it to run better.

I doubt it'll ever run all that great just based on the fact that it's been running like balls for months and if anything, performance has actually gotten slightly worse.

The server has gotten a whole shit ton better though, so I don't think they're incapable. I just think they're running out of time and the "optimization patch" people talk about is starting to sound like a "miracle patch".

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
If this game doesn't become better optimized, I won't be buying it. I was hoping to hold out and buy a steam box when they get released, but still I'm getting completely unplayable rates of FPS while playing Wild*. I play other recent games just fine. Even though I'm not interested in ESO in the slightest, the FPS i was getting in that game was good enough for me. I can handle only getting 20-30 FPS sometimes but being below 5 or 10 or having random screen stuttering is too much.
But it's beta. And Debug code!
I want to smack anyone that uses these excuses in the god damn head.
One of my favorite posts was someone telling people they're having terrible performance because they need to clean their PC's. You know remove all of your fans and heatsinks and clean everything. Because it couldn't possibly be that the game itself runs like shit.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
One of my favorite posts was someone telling people they're having terrible performance because they need to clean their PC's. You know remove all of your fans and heatsinks and clean everything. Because it couldn't possibly be that the game itself runs like shit.
This isn't a case like ESO's where the release is around the corner. I'm not complaining about the issues but if they aren't resolved by release I just won't be buying it. I was salvaging a bunch of cloth items today and the screen froze for 5 seconds after every salvage. I logged off to play another game with some friends.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Eh, but it's not always wrong. Guild Wars 2, for example, ran like shit up till near release at which point a driver update was released that massively improved performance.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Only time I've gotten shoddy FPS was while in Windowed mode. I'm using Fullscreen Exclusive (what ever that means).

I really like the combat, dunno about the questing for now. Sucks that my two friends whom I was hoping to play this on release have since dropped out and decided to not even touch it.

Dunno why I get a Wizards101, Ratchet & Clank, and Skylanders all rolled into one vibe from this game, like it's really targeted at kids and tweens. As opposed to a more serious story, politically, intellectually driven MMO RPG.

Only time I've gotten shoddy FPS was while in Windowed mode. I'm using Fullscreen Exclusive (what ever that means).

I really like the combat, dunno about the questing for now. Sucks that my two friends whom I was hoping to play this on release have since dropped out and decided to not even touch it.

Dunno why I get a Wizards101, Ratchet & Clank, and Skylanders all rolled into one vibe from this game, like it's really targeted at kids and tweens. As opposed to a more serious story, politically, intellectually driven MMO RPG.
Exclusive Fullscreen means that the game has full ownership and exclusive access to your GPU. Other apps may be running in the background but they will never be drawn to your monitor. In windowed mode, the OS owns your GPU and every app has to perform additional calculations in order to draw to the screen. This is less efficient with more overhead but of course allows multiple apps to draw to your screen.

This is why Exclusive Fullscreen is faster than Windowed or even Regular Fullscreen (which is really just Borderless Windowed). There will always be additional overhead in Widowed mode but good drivers and game optimizations can really help.

Del

Vyemm Raider
It definitely feels unoptimized, but I'm still getting a decent framerate playing on medium settings. I'm sure things will improve when the game is almost at launch, which I feel is no sooner than June at the earliest. I wouldn't be surprised if launch slips to July-Sept.

Anyhow, I'm really liking this game. I haven't had this much fun with an MMO in a long time. Looking forward to release for sure.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Do they tend to let people in for subsequent beta weekends, or once the alienware weekend ends am I good to uninstall? It seemed pretty neat, but without being able to see any of the higher level stuff, Low levels just felt like standard MMO fare.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i tried playing this on numerous occasions on 4 different characters and it never grew on me. guess i am done.

Do they tend to let people in for subsequent beta weekends, or once the alienware weekend ends am I good to uninstall? It seemed pretty neat, but without being able to see any of the higher level stuff, Low levels just felt like standard MMO fare.
They do not tend. Even if you've played other weekend betas you will need a new key from a new source to play again. So no re-invites (that I am aware). And they're no longer giving out any closed beta keys either.
WildStar not sending out more mass beta invitations... for this phase | Massively

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They'll clearly need to optimize their game engine if they want to bring WoW players on the ship, some of them are running on low-end computers which will die as soon as you hit any Wildstar capital (I'm looking at you, Thayd).

They claim that they are waiting to optimize because they keep changing stuff. My assumption is that there will be a patch specifically for optimization once they are in a place where they won't be making sweeping changes before release.