Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because if WOW was released in 2008/9 I would expect them to have the same graphics as this game. Art style aside (I personally like it), the graphics are dated. Just to compare, ESO's graphics look really good. I think you can maintain the "cartoon" look of this game but make it look much more interesting in 2014.

The way the game plays (quest treadmill theme park) feels like it's from 2008. I mean there isn't any single innovation, step forward, or attempt at something new in any of the content. That's why it's 2008. That's why people think ESO's PVE sucks. At least ESO doesn't have you collect bear asses from my experience. Even Rift and GW2 did different things to hide the grind a different way. Rift had Rifts and events. GW2 had hearts and their whole even system.

This game has more and more quests.

It's like they took a look at WOTLK and polished the shit out of it and never looked up. If you like that type of game (a lot of people do) then this game is very very well done.

The only reason I want to play ESO over this game is because I really like the class system/building in ESO. I'll overlook the shitty PVE because I love character building. The PVP might be good too, who knows.

Honestly, I bet most of the people here could overlook the shitty quest grind if the game offered an interesting, fun, combat system with really cool sci-fi based classes. Instead you have 2 mage classes, a warrior with a big sword and rogue with sterile class mechanics.
So basically taste and personal opinion and nothing to do with "being 2014".

Skill based character building system and more sanbox progression are not some current generation mechanic, hell those are probably the oldest features but the genre moved away from them.

Only got to level 10 questing in teso but yes I already had a quest to kill bears and wolfs. So it's not really different but I don't care either way.

Your last sentence is pure personal opinion and imo, I had fun on my medic , I thought it was cool I am basically using some futuristic defibrillators as weapons. Abilities all feel "Sci-fi" to me(again as a medic). I don't mind the AMP system and trying to hunt down dropped skills. I think the combat is the one thing they have going for them, especially after doing dungeons and talking to people who have raided.

Given your criteria above, you should consider TESO even more old, but you don't. Even though the one feature you enjoy the most "character building" flexibility dates around 1999(AC I know for sure, never played UO).

I guess you can say I am just not a very picky gamer. I pretty much play every type of game there is as long as its fun. Sure I have a "Dream game" that has all the mechanics and features I enjoy the most all in one game, but I don't think I will ever see it.

iannis

Musty Nester
There are still parts here and there in the game that will make you lolirl.

But it's signal:noise, and how much you're willing to tolerate to get to the funny bits.

It's strange how mundane the game is for the most part. That's not even so horrible. Brain turns off, buttons get pressed, lewt is phat. It's strange because it spikes up into "wow!" every so often. There is evidence that there are some genuinely artistic people that worked on this game. For example, the music in the game is really a cut above what anyone has any right to expect out of a vidja game. Unfortunately there is evidence that there are a lot of others who were in it entirely for the paycheck.

And there's nothing wrong with working for a paycheck. Christ. They did put in the work and they earned their keep. But...

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So basically taste and personal opinion and nothing to do with "being 2014".

Skill based character building system and more sanbox progression are not some current generation mechanic, hell those are probably the oldest features but the genre moved away from them.

Only got to level 10 questing in teso but yes I already had a quest to kill bears and wolfs. So it's not really different but I don't care either way.

Your last sentence is pure personal opinion and imo, I had fun on my medic , I thought it was cool I am basically using some futuristic defibrillators as weapons. Abilities all feel "Sci-fi" to me(again as a medic). I don't mind the AMP system and trying to hunt down dropped skills. I think the combat is the one thing they have going for them, especially after doing dungeons and talking to people who have raided.

Given your criteria above, you should consider TESO even more old, but you don't. Even though the one feature you enjoy the most "character building" flexibility dates around 1999(AC I know for sure, never played UO).

I guess you can say I am just not a very picky gamer. I pretty much play every type of game there is as long as its fun. Sure I have a "Dream game" that has all the mechanics and features I enjoy the most all in one game, but I don't think I will ever see it.
TESO has some modern things to it. Megaserver tech, updated graphics etc. The PVE is dull and the only saving grace is most likely the PVP. Outside that, my personal opinion, is a good character builder.

I mean you like this game, good for you. Go have fun with it. I'm not here to dissuade you or champion any other game. But let's not try to pretend this game is trying to be modern in any way. The devs themselves have said they are trying to resurrect vanilla WOW with some QOL additions and some updated (compared to WOW) graphics.

It's what all the neckbeards have been hoping someone would do to the original EQ for years.

Phandy

Golden Squire
Maybe I've just been oblivious, but have the Wildstar Devs ever made the claim that they were making a next gen MMO? Or is that some twist the community has spun on it?

I didn't really expect anything new with this game from what I read other then a new title that didn't take players too far from the WoW-roots. I don't mind that but I certainly can't blame anyone from being bored with that either.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Wildstar's graphics are as next gen as Teso's. They both use dx11 for certain features. The style itself has nothing to do with next gen and just personal preference. I prefer Teso's graphics but that's just me. What the hell does next gen mean anyway for MMO's? 90% of the shit we discuss in MMO's is all subjective anyway. There are certain things we can point to with dx11, procedural generation, voxels and shit like that. It could have all those features and still not be fun. Maybe next gen should really be discussed as moving the genre forward with new mechanics, ways of leveling or no levels at all. Either way, neither of these two titles coming out is really doing anything new.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TESO has some modern things to it. Megaserver tech, updated graphics etc. The PVE is dull and the only saving grace is most likely the PVP. Outside that, my personal opinion, is a good character builder.
I wouldn't even call megaserver "modern". EVE did it in what 2003?

Graphics are just a matter of style and theme.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't even call megaserver "modern". EVE did it in what 2003?

Graphics are just a matter of style and theme.
Shame on you. You aren't supposed to say that TESO has absolutely nothing modern in its design. Look at what you have done!?

And yeah, I'm not going to say Wildstar did anything super modern either. But hey! It will forever be known as "that telegraph MMO."

spronk

FPS noob
i was sorta interested in that "maybe i'll buy at launch to play 30 days" way, but seeing that video of the first raid really turned me off. yeah, it looks hard and long enough (THATS WHAT SHE SAID) but fuck those giant red circles popping up constantly would annoy me fast. What is this, a video game for babies...

here it is for those who don't want to page up

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok you win. Wildstar is the modernest game of innovation and wonder. All hail lord cinge.
See comments like this make you look like a idiot, because I've never said it was, nor was it ever supposed to be. But there's also nothing in it that I would say makes it "2007" game. And all the features/mechanics that people think, except a couple, are the definition a "2014" game, are really just things they "Want" in a game and have nothing to do with innovation or "being modern".

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
oops I thought cinge post was directed at me, i need to drink more coffee in the morning before I post >.>

misery_sl

shitlord
Looks pretty cool from some of the videos. I still don't know if I would pay a sub to play this though. I think it might get a good number of WoW refugees since the fights look straight out of WoW with more twitch. The character style doesn't really appeal to me for the most part, and while it doesn't bother some people, I am not a fan of 1 weapon type per class being mandatory. In a lot of ways WoW still seems to be ahead on many features imo, like talent trees and weapon swapping, and quite a few more areas. The only reason I'm even following this is because of the mmorpg drought. It has been going on for so long that I think the addiction is starting to leave my veins.

Buffylol

N00b
i was sorta interested in that "maybe i'll buy at launch to play 30 days" way, but seeing that video of the first raid really turned me off. yeah, it looks hard and long enough (THATS WHAT SHE SAID) but fuck those giant red circles popping up constantly would annoy me fast. What is this, a video game for babies...

here it is for those who don't want to page up
Those boss mechanics are the exact same ones I had in the design a raid boss contest WoW ran on their forums a few years ago -.-

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well the "run around the room and everyone who gets a bomb go drop it out of the raid" isn't really exactly new, shit was done in naxxramas during vanilla wow. Granted it wasn't bunch of the ground falling and shit, just the slow expanding poison circles, but conceptually it's basically the same fight.